Wide-forefoot felly-trail shoes (or traily-fell shoes)?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark Torrance 22 Aug 2016
The correct answer to this question is Wave Harrier. Or was. And my final pair are beyond hope.

So now what's the correct answer?
 dr_botnik 22 Aug 2016
In reply to Mark Torrance:

I have the sportiva anacondas half a size up. They are full on fell though, not really good on trails unless they're soft muddy ones. I've heard people talk of the bushido in good terms and if they have the same quality as anacondas they'd be worth a punt. Not so sure how they fare for wide feet, by chance the pair of anacondas that were on sale in the shop fit brilliant, it wasn't until I got to the counter I realised they were half a size bigger than I'd normally go.
My only other advice is to avoid addidas, every pair I've tried seemed slim and long.
OP Mark Torrance 22 Aug 2016
In reply to dr_botnik:

> sportiva anacondas

My goodness...like wearing the Olympics closing ceremony on your feet.

Too close to Walsh Ultra (which work for me as fell shoes) really. But thanks for the suggestion.
 RobOggie 23 Aug 2016

I've got quite wide feet and have recently got a pair of Inov 8 Race Ultra 270s and ~250 miles in I think they might be the most comfortable trail shoes I've ever had! I still have my Speedcross 3's for when the world turns to muddy slop but other than that they seem to cope well with most conditions and are great on longer outings.
Hope this helps.
 wbo 23 Aug 2016
In reply to Mark Torrance: Altra's are certainly wide in the toe box. Lots other things too.

Mr Fuller 23 Aug 2016

Inov8 Roclites for me. I'm on my second pair having run more than 1000 km in the first. Inov8 standard fit I find perfect for my wide feet, while I can't even get the precision fit shoes on!
 tony 23 Aug 2016
In reply to RobOggie:

> I've got quite wide feet and have recently got a pair of Inov 8 Race Ultra 270s and ~250 miles in I think they might be the most comfortable trail shoes I've ever had!

I was recommended the Race Ultras in a shop in Edinburgh, and it's been the best recommendation I've ever had. They've been terrific. I've probably done the same amount of miles, including some pretty gnarly terrain, and they've coped with everything and show few signs of wear. Definitely be going back for more if and when the current pair do die, and Inov8 don't mess with the design.
 tk421 23 Aug 2016

I've been using salomon fellcross. Pricy. Not so good on wet rock, but solid on grass and mud. They seem to really hug my feet much better than inov8 roclite or xtalons. (they gave me blisters on the ball of my big toe)
Ive just splashed for some new slab speed which are supposed to be better on wet rock...
 malk 23 Aug 2016
In reply to tony:

what's the sizing like? i've heard inov8 sizing a bit small
presumably the race ultra is ok for walking?- i can't see myself doing much running..
 tony 23 Aug 2016
In reply to malk:

The standard sizing is surprisingly wide - I often struggle to find shoes wide enough in the forefoot. The premium sizing is narrow - I can't get my feet into Inov8 premium sized shoes.

They wouldn't be my first choice for hill-walking, although I have run in them for over 4 hours on rough terrain at a stretch without too many ill-effects. I think I'd prefer something slightly chunkier for longer hill-walks.
Removed User 23 Aug 2016
Another vote for Race Ultra,I've got the 290 in standard fit and they are great for walking and running, better than my Roclites!

galpinos 23 Aug 2016

Inov8 standard fit, select flavour of shoe as required.
 malk 23 Aug 2016
In reply to tony:

my feet are wide so standard should be fine. did you get the 270 or 290? the 290 would be more suited to walking (from my limited research). i'm thinking of getting the GTX version...
what would be your first choice for hill-walking shoe/lightweight boot? (i'm also looking for a lightweight boot for backpacking)

Removed User 23 Aug 2016
In reply to dr_botnik:

> I've heard people talk of the bushido in good terms

I'm quite fond of my Bushidos, and they seem to work okay for my reasonably broad/square feet, despite Sportiva recommending them for 'normal' feet. I wear them (and other Sportiva trainers) half a size bigger than my feet, which seems to give that wee bit more room for the toes without getting sloppy elsewhere.
I wouldn't class the Bushidos as a proper fell shoe, though, maybe more 'rough trail', as they don't have the lug depth that it looks like the Anakondas had. But it seems Sportiva don't make the Anakondas anymore.
 Pina 23 Aug 2016
In reply to malk:
I've got the 290 and so far pretty happy. Wide forefoot which is great for my wide feet. Got the GTX model as an accidental upgrade after I sent my non-gtx ones off for repair and they sent the wrong model back but don't think so far that it's necessarily worth the extra money (sweatier...).

Used as an approach shoe recently for a mountain route and found them great although I was getting some heel lift which led to a blister. That may just be based on my feet though.
Post edited at 12:49
 tony 23 Aug 2016
In reply to malk:

> my feet are wide so standard should be fine. did you get the 270 or 290? the 290 would be more suited to walking (from my limited research). i'm thinking of getting the GTX version...

I've got the 290. I usually avoid GoreTex linings in shoes if I can - they tend to be a bit hot after a while, and I'm not convinced the GoreTex lining stays waterproof very long. Mind you, it might help if I washed them occasionally.
The version I've got also has a wee slit in the upper to take the Inov8 gaiter. I don't use it, but it's an interesting idea. I usually just accept the fact that I'm going to get wet feet at some point.

> what would be your first choice for hill-walking shoe/lightweight boot? (i'm also looking for a lightweight boot for backpacking)

I've been using a Salomon running shoe for days out:
http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/xa-pro-3d-m-.html?article=359380

malk 23 Aug 2016
In reply to J_Trottet:

thanks - have just ordered the gtx- i like black and i reckon walkers sweat less and would brush through wet grass more.. do you have the gaiters?
 Pina 23 Aug 2016
In reply to malk:

No gaiters. Be interested to know how you fair with them if you get them though.
OP Mark Torrance 23 Aug 2016
In reply to wbo:

> Altra's are certainly wide in the toe box.

Altra's are zero drop, I think, so I'm a bit wary.

> Lots other things too.

These being? I really can't see much in the way of wide but fairly minimal trail shoes.
In reply people suggesting Inov8

> Inov8 standard fit, select flavour of shoe as required.

Unless the standard fit has changed in the last few years (which it might well have done) then I'm not too sure this is true? Are standard fit genuinely wide (i.e. 2E or whatever the wide NB option is) or just a bit wider than their "performance" fit?

Ultra 290 look too built up to be a Wave Harrier replacement? Are they really ok on properly rocky trails?

I know that answer to most of these question is "go and find some to try on" but it's remarkably difficult finding anywhere with decent range, particularly in size 12.

In reply to Removed UserBwox:

> I'm quite fond of my Bushidos.

These look as though they might fit the felly-trail criterion. Eyewateringly expensive, though. How long do they last?

Removed User 24 Aug 2016

> How long do they last?

I've had mine for nearly three years now, I think, but I do tend to reserve them for special occasions, so I'm not sure what their life in terms of kms traversed is. They seem to have held up pretty well, with little sign of wear on the sole, though the stitching over the big-toe area of the upper on both shoes has started to fray a little. I'm not sure what'd be causing that - maybe poor toenail maintenance - but a dab of glue seems to be keeping it under control for the moment.
OP Mark Torrance 24 Aug 2016
In reply to J_Trottet:

See final picture on this page of Inov8 Ultras after 250 miles:

https://stolly.org/2016/08/18/friday-29th-july-the-lakeland-100-or-stolly-b...

Not impressive. You had problems with them falling apart as well? That sort of catastrophic fail isn't just a value-for-money issue. If this happened at the top of a mountain in the Pyrenees with a scrambly descent it would be quite serious.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...