Winter ML QMD

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
LakeDistrictMountaineer 22 Aug 2016
Evening all...

Just after some advice. This winter I'm after logging some QMD'S for my winter ML. Already got plenty in Wales and the Lake District.

To improve the chances of snow I want to go to Scotland. I fancy a change from my usual Ben Nevis and also Cairngorms from the ski runs so my question is what locations in Scotland do people recommend for good snow conditions which are remote and suitable as winter ML Quality Mountain Days?

Many thanks,

LDM
 jezb1 22 Aug 2016
In reply to LakeDistrictMountaineer:

The list is almost endless...

I spent time in between aviemore and fort William, days on Meggy, grey corries etc. I enjoyed the Ring of Steall and plenty of days in the Glencoe area.

Beyond that, Skye, Torridon....
 Lucy Wallace 22 Aug 2016

Yes, the list really is pretty much endless! Its often good to let weather and conditions dictate which region to go to, but if you are tired of the Cairngorms you are tired of life, although rather than accessing them from the ski runs, how about heading over to Braeriach, Feshie and the notorious ML Graveyard beyond Carn ban Mor, or biking in to the southern Cairngorms? There are a few bothys at that end that can be used to access some magic hills.

I'm based on Arran, which I love, but for WML stuff the snow is a bit transient here, very similar to the stuff you get south of the border and you won't learn much. Good to head to the big lumps inland. For your ML assessment its a given that the bulk of your QMDs will be Scottish.

LakeDistrictMountaineer 22 Aug 2016
In reply to Snoweider:

Cheers. I was thinking Glen Feshie and the southern side of the Cairngorms around Loch Avon and Braeriach.

I'll have a look at Carn Ban Mor.

Thanks again.

Ldm
As said by others. There is no shortage of places to go. Follow the weather, read the SAIS Forecast and then go for it

Toridon Giants, An Teallach, Glencoe, Cairngorms (from Feshie Bridge), Cairngorms (from Glenshee), The big lumps west of A9 above Balsporran Cottage - Drumochter area (haven't got a map to hand), Grey Corries, White Corries. Go for breadth of experience across as many areas as possible. When I went through the WML I lived in my van and went wherever the weather/av forecasts made sense. I got loads done.
Post edited at 20:19
 BnB 22 Aug 2016
In reply to 9WS9c3jps92HFTEp:

Sounds like you had fun. Don't forget the Bridge of Orchy Hills and the Black Mount. Arguably more reliable than the 'Coe when it comes to holding snow. This is a great outing http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/map2_1ao.shtml where I met the most perfidious snowpack I've yet encountered. Very enlightening.
 SenzuBean 22 Aug 2016

You can use munro/corbett bagging as a "canvas" on which to plan your trips, and to find new places to go. Some of the places I went for summer QMDs I would never have thought to go to, but only went to fill the holes on my bagging maps and was pleasantly surprised almost every time.
 Jim Fraser 23 Aug 2016
I am hoping to relaunch Conditions Central as a subset of the Kintail MRT site, probably on its own domain, later this year. (All down just now unfortunately.)

The way that might help you is that it gives quick access to all the latest weather, avalanche and blog reports as well as webcams in many mountain areas in just a few clicks. In many cases you can see the snow level and find out the temperature in an area then match that with the forecasts. This all helps with your ML study too!

I shall probably stick with the simple 3x3 speed dial concept in spite of all the large format screens around these days since the main target is the poor sod sitting a layby with a dodgy 2G connection.

Always open to suggestions about new useful mountain sites to link to. Hoping I get the time to sort this out for the coming season.
Post edited at 12:44
sphagnum 24 Aug 2016
> Evening all...

> Just after some advice. This winter I'm after logging some QMD'S for my winter ML. Already got plenty in Wales and the Lake District.

> To improve the chances of snow I want to go to Scotland. I fancy a change from my usual Ben Nevis and also Cairngorms from the ski runs so my question is what locations in Scotland do people recommend for good snow conditions which are remote and suitable as winter ML Quality Mountain Days?

> Many thanks,

> LDM

Best of luck and hope you enjoy your days out!

Just an observation - you want to do your Winter ML but you say you usually go to the ski runs, you want a recommendation for a location in Scotland for 'good snow conditions', and you ask someone else to tell you where is suitable for a QMD..
Post edited at 22:51
LakeDistrictMountaineer 25 Aug 2016
In reply to sphagnum:

> Best of luck and hope you enjoy your days out!

> Just an observation - you want to do your Winter ML but you say you usually go to the ski runs, you want a recommendation for a location in Scotland for 'good snow conditions', and you ask someone else to tell you where is suitable for a QMD..

And your point?
sphagnum 27 Aug 2016

> And your point?

Best of luck to you LakeDistrictMountaineer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...