Which via Ferrata lanyard?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
These are all on my radar:

Petzl Scorpio
BD Iron Cruiser
BD Easy Rider
Edelrid Cable Lite 2.3

I understand most of these have had recalls at some stage but by now should be good...?! The problem is most of these are pretty much impossible to do a side by side comparison of as I think only the Edelrid one is available in London. I vaguely remember getting my hands on an Edelrid and BD Iron Cruiser a fair while ago and thinking they both seemed quite ergonomic, so maybe they're all good enough for what I want!

I notice the BD ones don't seem to have a connection point for resting. This doesn't worry me too much, as I figure I can just take a daisy and use that (obviously making sure it's never shock loaded).

But yeah, any for's and against's? Thanks!
 Mark Eddy 21 Aug 2016
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

I have a few sets of BD Easy riders and find them really nice to use. Tried out quite a few before buying and this model came up top every time for me. The release on the back bar is very user friendly.
Removed User 21 Aug 2016

The Edelrid ones feel nice. They are really pretty much all the same. Just use a short sling to rest with, it doesn't need to be integrated into the VF kit.
 TobyA 21 Aug 2016

Just bought two of these http://www.edelrid.de/en/sports/via-ferrata/cable-ultralite-pro-night-oasis... as them and the Scorpios are all that are available in Decathlon in France currently, and they are cheaper than the Petzls. Did loads of via ferrating with them over the last two weeks and they were dead simple and easy to use. Light and compact in your bag until you do need them also. One day I used a hired Scorpio and it wasn't really much different. I'm unconvinced that there is a big different between the different kits.
 TobyA 21 Aug 2016
In reply to Removed User:

> Just use a short sling to rest with, it doesn't need to be integrated into the VF kit.

I did that on the first go but of course you risk forgetting to take it off, say, a ladder rung and then falling onto a static sling - not good at all. The Edelrid ones we bought had a loop at the base of the two arms but crucially above the shock absorber that you could put a krab in and rest on.

Just used black diamond iron cruiser and had no problems. Well made etc etc etc.

That was the cheapest decent looking set I could find. £110 for two sets.
 Neil Williams 21 Aug 2016

I've got the latter (the Edelrid one) and it's decent enough, though because I have a bad habit of getting the two lanyards twisted by clipping them in the wrong order if I were buying again I'd be tempted by one that has a swivel fitting to prevent that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...