Bivvi bag - narrowed down to a couple, any tips or experience

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 r1ch79 19 Aug 2016
Im looking at the snugpack SF, Alpkit Hunka, ME ION bivi

What im looking for is a 3 season bag which can at a push cope with the odd winter snowhole however I dont want to go for the rab ascent or me borealis which both weigh in at 600g despite being totally weather proof and breathable

I was looking for something lighter but durability is a big desire as is breathability and ease of access.

Im only slight on the shoulder and I would ideally like to get my thermarest inside so a bit of surplus volume isnt a worry and I am happy to play with some bungee cord to tweak the hodo cinch

the snugpack looks good at 400 wiht a half zip and a bit of room but I was wondering if anyone has used any of these or can give any opinions from personal experience

cheers
 jon_gill1 19 Aug 2016
In reply to wannabeagoat:

Hi there

I have got the Alpkit and assuming they haven't made a new design, I have found it to be very good and durable,I went for the larger one of the two which allows me to comfortably fit a full size thermarest inside it and put my cloths and boots at the bottom end of the bag to keep them dry.

It also folds in to itself which is a really good feature and saves have an extra stuff sack to loose in the wind.

I havnt used it in full on winter but have used it in rocky conditions and no holes have appeared thus far.the price is a bargain imo. Hope you have as much fun with whichever one you choose as I just have in Greenland.

Cheers
Jon
 LG-Mark 19 Aug 2016

I don't think you can go wrong with Alpkit for the price, a genuine bargain. However i do prefer bivi's with cowls, even better if they have some bug-net. Also with a cowl, you can sit up and get dressed under the cowl if the weather isn't great.
Of your choices, the Ion has a cowl, but also consider a Black Diamond Twilight for similar money. My son has one and its superb.
 guy127917 19 Aug 2016

The alpkit regular size (non XL) model is very tight- not good with a mat and 3/4 season bag in my and others experience.
 Billhook 19 Aug 2016

But an ex army goretex one will only cost a fraction of the money.
 nniff 19 Aug 2016
Pads go outside the bivi bag. You stop your pad from blowing away by lying on it. Condensation is the enemy and so you want to avoid lying directly on an impermeable thing and putting your warmish bivi bag directly on the cold ground - the vapour will condense at soon as it touches the fabric on the ground and pool under your mat, but inevitably soak into everything else. Plus directly lying on the mat will add its own moisture to the puddle.

Breathable is a relative term.

Exhaled air goes outside the bag too, not inside.

All goretex is the way to go. It doesn't matter if it's khaki green - it's going to be dark anyway.
If it's raining, roll over so that the opening and breathing hole is away from the rain.

Combine that with a synthetic sleeping bag and you're sorted for most things that the UK weather can throw at you. If you have a down bag (ill-advised), then any running water is difficult. If its getting too cold, don't wear bulky clothes, use them as blankets inside your sleeping bag instead.

Don't sacrifice a comfortable night for a few hundred grammes of decent material and a solid bag. If you do, you'll have hours every night to contemplate your folly.
Post edited at 14:56
 marsbar 19 Aug 2016
In reply to nniff:

I have a very small thermarest and it goes inside my bag. I tend to roll around in my sleep and would roll off the mat. Works for me.
 ballsac 21 Aug 2016
In reply to Dave Perry:

the durability is excellent as well.

mine was free, but its still in fine nick 10 years later - it probably is a bit heavier and a bit bulkier than the more modern commercial designs, OTOH its incredibly breathable and properly winter-proof, and happily survives use on the rocky peaks of the Lakes and Snowdonia without damage or scuffs..

i might find something much lighter/compact for protecting my sleeping bag on bothy trips, but for bivvying out i don't think it has an equal.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...