Think waterproof gloves - recommendation?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pietrach 15 Aug 2016
Hi I am looking for a thin gloves for wintery days to keep my hands warm when holding a walking axe, and dry when occasionally supporting myself by touching wet snow, ground. I always find my proper winter gloves to warm for most occasions.
Any recommendations? Most likely be using them only say 5-6 times a year so I would appreciate a reasonable price.
 Timmd 15 Aug 2016
In reply to Pietrach:
I dare say you definitions of thin and warm/not too warm wouldn't be the same as mine, but I seem to do okay with some cosy feeling synthetic gloves which mimic the woolen gloves of old which cost a few pounds from garages and news agents and chemists and similar, with the fabric being around 3mm thick.

I should say people generally comment on how warm my hands are when it's cold, and how warm a seat I've just been sitting in is, so I possibly run warmer than some, but those gloves let me have warmth in my hands even if it's 'wet warmth' after them being in contact with snow.

I've also go on well with a pair of stretchy 'magic gloves' (which cost a pound) inside a thin pair of Seal Skinz waterproof gloves, which can be found on sale for £20. Possibly you'd need to try things on in shops to try and guage how warm they'll be somewhere colder given your general hand warmth.

This would be in temperatues down to minus ten-ish in the snow when high up, or lower with the wind blowing too. My brother gets colder hands than me and has commented that he'd have cold hands in the gloves I've worn at minus ten. I seem to take after my dad while he takes after my mum.
Post edited at 13:00
OP Pietrach 15 Aug 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Thanks Timmd.
I doubt your dad takes if after your mum... these things don't work like that
Thank for the advice. I tried gloves made of polartec and these let too much wind through, and get wet to easily. Warm wise are ok, when dry and not windy. I am talking about temperatures above zero deg. When below, I am putting my winter gloves on. I will look at the sealskinz gloves.

Thanks
 ogreville 15 Aug 2016
In reply to Pietrach:
I have these - Sealskinz ultra grip -
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/sealskinz-ultra-grip-mens-gloves-p114715

They may be a little thick for you but they are 100% waterproof and are excellent for wet snow and axe holding duties.
Post edited at 13:13
 Timmd 15 Aug 2016
In reply to Pietrach:
My Dad taking after my Mum? Noo, I ment he takes after my Mum, and I take after my Dad, though I'm willing to accept it doesn't work like that.
Post edited at 22:26
 oldie 15 Aug 2016
In reply to Pietrach:

Don't know how they'd compare with your "proper" winter gloves but Skytec Argon Thermal Argon Thermal Grip Gloves only £6 from Screwfix might be worth a try. I tried them last winter and they were OK, good grip, can get a bit damp inside eventually.
 Timmd 15 Aug 2016
In reply to oldie:
Stoppng gloves from feeling damp can be where 'magic gloves' can come in handy, I discovered them while doing a lot of conservation volunteering, and lots of times I took some rubbery work gloves off my hands to find that the magic gloves were damp, but I hadn't felt any clamminess or coldness before removing them.

I don't want to sound like I'm banging on abot them like some strange obsessive, I find they're a great and cheap way of making a pair of gloves nicer to wear or a little bit warmer.
Post edited at 23:14
 alasdair19 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Pietrach:

neoprene diving /surfing gloves. don't take them off cause they then get cold and very hard to put on. I used them for everything before twigging that they were making leashless climbing more pumpy than necessary.

Also had success with "soft shell" style gloves. or all leather gloves
 Martin W 16 Aug 2016
Questions about waterproof gloves always remind me of this Andy Kirkpatrick article: http://andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/the_truth_about_gloves

DEATH TO ‘WATERPROOFNESS’
When I used to work in outdoor shops, people would often ask me if I could recommend to them a pair of waterproof gloves. “You want a pair of waterproof gloves?” I’d reply, putting on my thoughtful font of all knowledge expression. “Rubber Marigolds,” I’d say, nodding my head, “that’s what you want,” adding that “the Italians used them on Cerro Torre this year don’t you know.” I’d point out that Marigolds are also cheap, lightweight and make you look like your mum and being yellow they show up well in photos. The usual response to this wit was the customer walking away shaking their heads, leaving me to drink my cup of tea and read my guidebook in peace. A less common but more worrying response was, ‘Do you have them in my size?’
 jonnie3430 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Pietrach:

Dickies insulated leather work gloves should work better for what you want than skytech argons, I think, just need to keep them proofed with nikwax. You can find them in machine mart.
 The New NickB 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Pietrach:

This may have been covered, but don't obsess about gloves being waterproof. Soft shell or leather are good when you want maintain a fair bit of dexterity and it is cold but not extreme. There are various 'work gloves' that a not too expensive and plenty of companies do an uninsulated softshelf glove, Decathlon do a pair for about £15.
 jonnie3430 17 Aug 2016
In reply to jonnie3430:

> Dickies insulated leather work gloves should work better for what you want than skytech argons, I think, just need to keep them proofed with nikwax. You can find them in machine mart.

The drama with the dickies was the short cuff, it has been addressed here, http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es1220... who are also offering a free pair if they wear out in the first year... (not for the OP, but will suit me...)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...