Mountain marathon nutrition

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 d80f0u 11 Aug 2016
I'm running my first MM (the Rab) in just over six weeks, and starting to think hard about what food to take 'on the hill'. Running shorter events I've become used to relying on gels, but I know this is neither realistic nor desirable over a two-day stint, and I'm keen to avoid too much sweet stuff. I'm looking for any suggestions for 'real food' that in particular solves the following problems:

- savoury
- energy-dense
- easily portable
- will still be edible on day 2

Any ideas or advice much appreciated!

Thanks,
Ben
 kipman725 11 Aug 2016
In reply to d80f0u:

At the midway camp I would recommend freeze dried food. Extreme foods is good as is their ultra fuel product for when you immediately get to camp. When running power bars are good, little blocks of cheese and even a sandwich. Its more of a case of what you can eat, for me I can't eat too many sweet things before craving savory so after a while start eating cheese as well. I would recommend doing some 2-3hr runs and eating during them to see how much you can eat.
 Simon Caldwell 11 Aug 2016
In reply to d80f0u:

It's all very personal, the best way is to try a few things and see what works best for you. For a first event you'll inevitably take too much and end up with most of it untouched - but that's better than running out!

I've tried loads of things over the years, here's what I currently go with.

For hill food during the day I don't eat a lot. maybe a bar or two of some sort (coconut bars are good as they're quite moist and easy to swallow). And a bag of mini cheddars for some salt. Supplemented with a couple of Shott blocks. I carry a few more bars but rarely eat them.

For evening food I go for Expedition Foods, quite pricy but unlike most lightweight meals, actually tastes good.
http://www.expeditionfoods.com/expedition-foods/freeze-dried/high-energy-se...
The chicken Tikka is particularly good!
We also have one of their apple-and-custard meals between us, overpriced and could be done yourself for less, but we're lazy.

Also some Bombay mix for when we get to camp.

Breakfast = porridge for my partner, I can't stomach the stuff so take muesli/dried milk.

sbrt 11 Aug 2016
In reply to d80f0u:

Wraps with cheese and tomato puree. heat until the cheese melts then let it set. Carbs, protein, salt and durable.
Salted nuts. boiled new potatoes. I would recommend eating on the uphills.

I usually take; shot blocks, dark choc covered marzipan, caramelised cashews, choc raisins and a cheese portion.

Have fun
sbrt 11 Aug 2016
In reply to d80f0u:
Some top Nav tips from top mmer, Steve Birkinshaw http://community.berghaus.com/athletes/steve-birkinshaws-top-10-navigation-...
Post edited at 12:33
 Elsier 11 Aug 2016
In reply to d80f0u:

I usually take the following for on the hill/whilst I am running:

- A bag of sweets for each day
- A few cereal bars
- A bag of salted cashews (good for when I inevitably get cramp)
- isotonic tablets to add to water (High 5 are good)

And for the mid camp:
- Instant noodles
-A freeze dried meal, though I have taken couscous and added a bit of sliced chorizo or something like that instead in the past)
-Sachet of hot chocolate and a few marshmallows.

Breakfast:
-Instant coffee
- Freeze dried rice pudding although instant porridge would be just as good for a hot breakfast but I am not that keen on it.

Good luck!
OP d80f0u 26 Aug 2016
In reply to d80f0u:

Thanks everyone for your help and advice, I think I've got a plan now which I'm going to test out on a 4hr score event this weekend. I'll let you know how I get on!

Ben
 ablackett 26 Aug 2016
In reply to d80f0u:

Hill food = whatever you like, but I take cereal bars, gels and sweets. Boiled & Salted new potatoes are great, but get smashed up by the end of day 1.

Breakfast = instant porridge with some currants mixed in.

Midcamp snacks = nuts or chorizo and a rego bar.
Midcamp dinner = freezer bag with cous cous, a cup a soup, and some chunks of chorizo in.
Midcamp pudding = instant custard and a malt loaf.

Take lots of food. If you eat well you should feel strong on day 2. Best to take too much the first time. You should spend your entire time at midcamp eating!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...