Reproofing tent - effective?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
My 15 year old MSR Zoid tent has spent most of its life in a cupboard but is now definitely not waterproof in the slightest; is it worth attempting to reproof it or is it time for it hang up its pegs for good?

Looking at the Nikwax reproofing spray to treat it.
In reply to featuresforfeet:

I have done exactly that for the last three odd years of my now 16 year old Ultra Quasar. It worked fine, and so did the spinnaker tape on all the seams. However, as of this summer, I have retired it from mountain use and have bought myself a new tent.
 gethin_allen 11 Aug 2016

Is it the outer or groundsheet that's gone? if it's the groundsheet then I've found treatments not to be very effective but you could just buy a cheap tarpaulin or find a bit of tyvek to use as a footprint. If it's the outer then you can get good results with things like fabsil as it doesn't really need to be totally waterproof to keep the majority of the weather out.
Taping the seams can help things too and it also helps strengthen the seam in cases where the stitching is pullijg or has become abraded. It's worth a go to spend £15 before you spend £2-300 on a new tent.
 Babika 11 Aug 2016

My old Terra Nova got flooded in Glenbrittle last May so I spent an age re-proofing in the back garden with the proper stuff. Then exactly the same happened in Cornwall at Easter this year.

So my advice is "don't bother" and buy a new one. I guess it does depend how extreme the weather conditions are but when its lashing down and blowing a hooley the main requirement of the tent is to keep you dry, and mine didn't
In reply to gethin_allen:

Outer is gone; even drizzle seeps through. Groundsheet hasn't really been tested in anger recently.
cb294 11 Aug 2016

Outer works, groundsheet not.

CB
 IPPurewater 11 Aug 2016

I've had good results with the Grangers silicon based reproofer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...