What's the best tall clothing brand?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bigjon1 09 Aug 2016
Hi all,

Just wandering if there are any other vertically gifted individuals out there (around 6ft 7) who can share which brands tend to come up longest in arms and back? I have found boot options at a lot better now for big feet but still struggling with mid layers and jackets.

Cheers,

Jon
 Damo 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Bigbadbarry:

I'm 6'7" with a 34" waist, 36" inseam and 46" chest.

Haglofs fits well, Rab are usually long enough in the arms but baggy around the waist and tight across the back and shoulders. Mountain Equipment seem OK but variable, and have changed over time. Arcteryx are pretty good, but there are variations and they generally seem to fit less athletically than they used to.

I can't really fit with Berghaus stuff at all. Patagonia is almost always too short in the arms, tight across the shoulders and loose around the waist, though their lines vary, a bit. Montane has always been too short in the arms and tight across the back, though I haven't tried anything from them for a while.

Dynafit clothing is great, if you can find it, but you need the biggest sizes. They're very trim around the waist while still being wide enough in the shoulders. Pants are too short though.

I can't find any decent trousers, especially hard shells, that are long enough.

Soft-shell? Haglofs and Arcteryx make Long sizes but are hard to get, expensive and usually only 34" inseam anyway. Mammut used to make extra long versions of their softshell pants but they're impossible to find and were very expensive. I have a pair of Rab VapourRise pants size XL that are quite long, but baggy and not good for many things.

EddieBauer/First Ascent in the US ( can order online) do plenty of Long sizes and I have some light soft-shell pants of theirs that are good, plus two jackets ( a shell and a Primaloft belay jacket) through their recent models are not as good.
 Kerm 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Bigbadbarry:

What have you found boot wise, as i really struggle finding big winter books?
 Tall Clare 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Damo:

> Montane has always been too short in the arms and tight across the back, though I haven't tried anything from them for a while.

Mr TC is only 6'4 but with broad shoulders and slim waist, and he's found quite a few Montane items that fit really well - he has a massive aversion to flappy waists on clothing. I wonder whether their sizing might have changed between your last investigations and his purchases (which were mostly 3-4 years ago).

zimpara 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Bigbadbarry:

Musto is quite tall
 Phil1919 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Kerm:

Cold climbs?
 Kerm 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Kerm:
...boots!
 jezb1 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Bigbadbarry:

Thought I'd chip here, but then realised I'm a shorty at 6'3" ...!
Bigjon1 10 Aug 2016

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will check out Haglofs range first!

As for the boots I have found so far, la sportive go up to around 14.5 with the G2 SM boot (Double boot), the rest of the range goes to 13. Scarpa have the manta pro gtx in a 14.5. What size are you?

As for rock, the only thing I can find in a size 15 is the boreal jokers.
Post edited at 11:22
 wildebeeste 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Kerm:

Got a pair of size 50 Nepal Extreme for sale if you are interested, worn once on a low level walk. £175.
In reply to Bigbadbarry:

With the tallest average population in the world, surely the Dutch must have something?

Only I can't think of many Dutch outdoor brands...
In reply to captain paranoia:
> With the tallest average population in the world, surely the Dutch must have something?

> Only I can't think of many Dutch outdoor brands...

That's unusual, what with it being such a hilly...

Ah. As you were, then.

T.
Post edited at 17:27
 wildebeeste 10 Aug 2016
In reply to Bigbadbarry:

Also OP, seeing as nobody had mentioned it yet, Buffalo if you like that kind of thing (I do).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...