Ultra advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wainers44 07 Aug 2016
Hi, I realise everyone varies, but any ultra runners out there, how close to start time can you eat a reasonable amount?

Eating enough is going to be my main issue in my forthcoming ultra and I want to start as fed as I can be, so how close to start time (midnight!) can I be tucking into the "last supper"?

Any advice/experiences much appreciated!
 yorkshireman 07 Aug 2016
In reply to Wainers44:

I think its less important than you think. If you've done a marathon then you know carb loading is important. Less so for ultras though for two main reasons.

1. An ultra is run at a much slower pace than a marathon, so you're burning a higher percentage of your calories from body fat reserves rather than the glycogen stored in your muscles.

2. You can't possibly eat enough carbs beforehand (and store as glycogen) to fuel you through an ultra. It's a deficit sport and you'll consistently be burning more calories than you can eat so its better to eat what you can continue with for hours and hours rather than loading up on simple carbs.

Just eat what you would eat before a long training run. I always find a couple of slices of toast with honey, or some porridge is good. I normally eat a banana on the way to the start line and sip some energy drink. But don't overthink it or worry too much. Chances are you'll be nervous so stick with what you fancy and don't worry if its not much.

That said, all the ultras I've done have been 3 or 4am - so a midnight start time you're going more for a supper and eating throughout the day, than trying to get a breakfast in. Its often said that an ultra is just an eating contest with some running thrown in anyway.

Good luck - which one is it?
OP Wainers44 07 Aug 2016
In reply to yorkshireman:

It's the 100k RAT on the coast path in Cornwall. Now strictly speaking I have never run a marathon, but I did do the 50k little brother of this one last year with no training, which wasn't big or clever.

I know I don't cope well when I don't stay fed. I am a bit of a skinny b*gger, and from a couple of wobbles on the LDWA 100's (miles not K, and I have done 4 of those) it's never lack of fitness that affects me, it's bonking due to lack of food. I want to be as "fed" as I can be at the start without feeling any more sick than I know I will anyway (I'm a worrier!!)
 shuffle 07 Aug 2016
In reply to Wainers44:

I agree with yorkshireman. For me, the key thing is to start eating early on the race, and then keep topping up. This way you never actually get properly hungry/low blood sugar as you're putting in food steadily throughout.

I find if I do this I don't reach the stage where I really need to eat, but can't face food as the constant topping up becomes habitual. Having some good savoury food works well for me too and stops me getting unpleasantly over-sugared on gels etc.

ianstevens 07 Aug 2016
In reply to shuffle:
> I find if I do this I don't reach the stage where I really need to eat, but can't face food as the constant topping up becomes habitual. Having some good savoury food works well for me too and stops me getting unpleasantly over-sugared on gels etc.

This. Prepare some roast potatoes the day before, and coat them in salt to reduce cramps. Bland enough that you can eat them even when the last thing you want is to eat.
Post edited at 22:21
OP Wainers44 08 Aug 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

> This. Prepare some roast potatoes the day before, and coat them in salt to reduce cramps. Bland enough that you can eat them even when the last thing you want is to eat.

Roast spuds is a good idea, would be a change from buttered fruit buns which I usually carry.
 The Potato 08 Aug 2016
In reply to Wainers44:

yep agree with previous comments, eat at your normal meal times, youll find if you are doing a 24h+ event that your body will need less food and drink at night as its not its normal time, plus its generally dark and colder then so youll sweat less anyway.
OP Wainers44 08 Aug 2016
In reply to Pesda potato:

Thanks for all the thoughts, much appreciated!
 Roadrunner5 08 Aug 2016
In reply to Wainers44:

Don't over eat before, just regular healthy meals.

It's very personal how soon and depends on your digestive system. I eat 2-3 hours before. Others won't actually eat a breakfast at all. Others want 4 hours.

Also depends on the ultra and the pace you are runnning. A very mountainous hiking ultra is much less impacting on the stomach whereas a fast 50k-50 miler would really need a gap to let food digest fully.
 Siward 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Wainers44:

From what I've been reading recently micro dosing with LSD is the way to go...
OP Wainers44 12 Aug 2016
In reply to Wainers44:

Best of luck to any other RAT runners on here (aka Roseland August Trial) 6hrs to start time!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...