Remote lake district hikes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 phja 06 Aug 2016
Hi. Am reluctantly heading to the lake district during august bank holiday. Anyone have anysuggestions for the best remote lake district hikes that are likely to be relatively uncrowded? We usually look for 8-12 miles and around 1000m of gain. Will need to start and finish at same place.

Thanks!
 Mal Grey 06 Aug 2016
In reply to phja:

If in doubt, head for the west.

Eskdale in particular will allow you to get away from most others, and an ascent of Scafell Pike from that side will be quieter than any other.
 malky_c 06 Aug 2016
In reply to phja:

Just to be contrary, I'm going to say head east. Long Sleddale and Mosedale tend to be much quieter than the central Lakes, and perhaps Kentdale and Haweswater to a lesser extent. Then again, the extreme east, west and north are probably all reasonable choices for less busy areas.
 beth 06 Aug 2016
In reply to phja:

Back o Skidda!
 Wainers44 06 Aug 2016
In reply to beth:

> Back o Skidda!

Absolutely agree, go North. Loads of sneeky ways to avoid the crowds and make sure you have lunch in Great Lingy Hut at least once.
 NathanP 06 Aug 2016
In reply to beth:

Any of those three suggestions: the far North, East or West can give a quiet and almost solitary day out I the lakes. I remember having the fells around Seatallan to myself on an August Bank holiday Monday. You don't have to go much off the obvious track to get the fells to yourself.
OP phja 07 Aug 2016
In reply to phja:

Thanks everyone for the ideas. Book a place near Patterdale so think I'll stick to the east and north. Never done high street before so that's on my list. Then probably saddleback. Never been far north or east before. Anyone recommend a fell I "must" climb?? Thanks all
 NathanP 07 Aug 2016
In reply to phja:

Those are both very popular hills, deservedly so, especially Saddleback / Blencathra. If you really want uncrowded hills you'll have to go further east, the Dodds to the north end of the Helvellyn ridge or the hills north of Skiddaw or north east of Blencathra.

For High Street, I like the round from Hartsop, taking in Hartsop Dodd, Stony Cove Pike and Thornthwaite Beacon.

On the other hand, often the popular hills are popular for a reason so you could compromise by doing a popular hill by a less frequented route, like a circuit of Skiddaw from the north, taking in whitewater dash waterfall - at least then it is only the summit and final slopes that are likely to be busy.
 digby 07 Aug 2016
In reply to phja:

Blencathra is mobbed most of the time! But it's lovely and well worth it in spite of the crowds. Up Sharp Edge, along the ridge, and back round the bottom. Superb views.
 Ridge 07 Aug 2016
In reply to Wainers44:

> Absolutely agree, go North. Loads of sneeky ways to avoid the crowds and make sure you have lunch in Great Lingy Hut at least once.

No, no, no. Nothing at all to see north or west of Keswick, nothing to see here, move along...
 Mike Peacock 07 Aug 2016
In reply to malky_c:

Yes, I'd also suggest Mosedale, probably from Swindale. Swindale is lovely whilst Mosedale is very bleak and empty. Head up into Branstree, Selside and Hare Shaw. You'd be unlikely to see many people.
 climbingpixie 07 Aug 2016
In reply to Wainers44:

Although there's a Rab mini mountain marathon going on in the NW Lakes that weekend so the hills may be a bit busier than normal...
 Wainers44 07 Aug 2016
In reply to climbingpixie:

> Although there's a Rab mini mountain marathon going on in the NW Lakes that weekend so the hills may be a bit busier than normal...

So there will still only be 10% of the people in Borrowdale, Langdale, Patterdale etc etc!

To the OP, Blencathra by a bit of cunning is the answer. Leave the car in Threlkeld. Go up Mousthwaite Comb, up to Scales Tarn for toe dipping (maybe busy'ish). Watch the heroes head off up sharp edge, but instead carry on to reach the shoulder of Foule Crag and ascend Blencathra from the North.

If you have taken your time you will get to the summit late enough for it to be quieter and if you are good with basic scrambling head straight down Halls Fell for a huge and beautiful view to end the day.
 Brass Nipples 07 Aug 2016
In reply to phja:

Go Ghyll scrambling. You'll have a day to yourself.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...