Life of shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goose299 06 Aug 2016
I've got a pair of Scott Kinabalu Supertrac that I've only done 150 miles in. Already I've noticed the rand peeling at the toe and the fabric splitting near the laces

How much life do you all get from your trail shoes?
 Yanis Nayu 06 Aug 2016
In reply to goose299:

I got 8000 miles out of mine. They only had 14 pairs of soles and 10 new uppers.
 KevinJ 06 Aug 2016
In reply to goose299:

I've got a similar concern over a pair of Hoka Mafate Speeds. A handful of training runs and one race so less than 150 miles and the uppers are showing signs of wearing through with a couple of holes above the rands.
On the other hand (or foot) I have a couple of pairs of Mizuno Wave Kazans which are holding up well after 300 miles or so in each pair and apart from the stink when they get warm or wet, they look like they have loads of miles in them yet.
 Roadrunner5 07 Aug 2016
In reply to goose299:

It really depends where you live.

In rocky areas 200-300 miles is pretty normal these days. I then demote then to less technical trail runs where I don't need the protection or close fit.

Manufacturers seem to not be too interested unmaking the 1000 mile shoe for obvious reasons.

I'm sponsored by merrel so used some of theirs recently and despite the weight they were hammered in not much over 100 miles. I like Scotts but the soft ippers get damaged pretty easily.

If you use them around peat washing them regularly does preserve them a bit more.
 yorkshireman 07 Aug 2016
In reply to goose299:

> How much life do you all get from your trail shoes?

Like Iain says it really depends on usage.

I live in an Alpine area with rocky terrain but I was regularly getting 1000km out of a pair of Brooks Cascadias until the 9s came out and felt apart after 150km - but that was a recognised fault and seems to have been rectified (they replaced mine free of charge and the new pair seem fine).

My new pair of 10s are starting to show serious wear (but are still OK for everyday training) after about 500km including a few races but I think that is perfectly acceptable.

wbo 07 Aug 2016
In reply to goose299/Roadrunner : I don't think it's acceptable for shoes to be spanked after a couple of 100kms. Even if you've got a few pairs and rotate them it would still be easy to get to a position whee you're going thro' a pair of shoes plus per month, and with the price of shoes nowadays that doesn't seem good to me.

Whats getting killed on the Merills - the uppers? Mids?

It's worth people knowing how to extend the life of shoes - rotating them to let the mids recover, washing off acidic peat mud and abrasive grit to help preserve the uppers

steveriley 07 Aug 2016
In reply to goose299:

Worst of around 300m from X-talon 190s, which tore dramatically in a race. Best of 1000+ from another Inov-8: Roclite 295. We ask a lot of shoes given the push for ever lighter and off trail rocky terrain. Wouldn't go as lite as the 190s again, the 212s have been brilliant for not much more weight. Worth having that rand and I mostly keep them for best. The Sandstone mud around here is pretty rot friendly in winter so worth rinsing - I'm fairly lazy though.
 Roadrunner5 07 Aug 2016
In reply to wbo:
My merrels failed, the rand pulled away, the upper tore and the tungsten tips ripped out.
 Roadrunner5 07 Aug 2016
In reply to steveriley:
300 is pretty Normal for the 190s I loved them but wore them for the peris the year I won it and coming off Snowden they were totally ripped to shreds.
 steveriley 07 Aug 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Mine went on the nav leg of the fell relays in Llanberis - damn that snowdonia rock!
 digby 07 Aug 2016
In reply to goose299:

Send them back. Shoes are manufactured at minimum cost and are not as perfect as the price might suggest. Shoddy manufacture needs to be challenged.
 Mike-W-99 07 Aug 2016
In reply to digby:

Indeed, I have a pair of innov8s which are going back after a worryingly low number of trips.
 planetmarshall 07 Aug 2016
In reply to goose299:

> How much life do you all get from your trail shoes?

I thought I'd only get about 500 miles...

...but then I got 500 more.

Da dad da, da dad da, da da dadada dadadadada da da.

wbo 07 Aug 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:
> My merrels failed, the rand pulled away, the upper tore and the tungsten tips ripped out.

I hope you gave some contructive feedback

Roadrunner5 08 Aug 2016
In reply to wbo: I will.. Once I place one last order. I get something like 50% off and so many free pairs a year off them but it's just not worth it really when they last so briefly.

The problem is there is a trend to heavier trail shoes, all they need is a more durable thin rand.

OP goose299 09 Aug 2016
In reply to digby:
Yup, I've done that now via they're local dealer who are incidentally where I bought them too
Post edited at 15:42
 wbo 09 Aug 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:
well maybe if you tell them they'll change them. Real world feedback is helpful, and might get you a better deal

Merrill have had quality/longetivity issues before
Post edited at 15:45
 The Potato 09 Aug 2016
In reply to goose299:

i wonder if this could be Attenborough's next documentary?

Ive had a few shoes were the fabric along the sides has started to wear thin or get a single hole in it from an impact, but then im not bothered as i can easily sew the fabric back to prevent dirt and grit getting in, and its not going to affect the structure of the shoe as they usually have plastic overlays. Some as mentioned are more prone to it than others. As far as I can recall Ive always worn out the sole before the upper and Ive used Walsh, Adidas, Nike, Inov8, Salomon, Saucony, Brooks, More Mile.
OP goose299 22 Aug 2016
In reply to goose299:

So the saga continues, I emailed the local dealer as per the website to check opening times and what I needed to do. They replied saying I should contact head office directly, which I did. Who in turn said no, they can't deal with the public directly and I have to go via a local dealer. So I actually went to the store who said that if they send them, then nothing will happen but if I send them, they'll be replaced. Basic fob off.
So yet again, I email head office who still maintain I have to go via their dealer who is less that helpful.

So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.
So guys, I'd advise you to avoid Scott as their after sales is beyond rubbish.
 wbo 22 Aug 2016
In reply to goose299: you go back to the shop. Talking to Scott is their job.

mbh 22 Aug 2016
In reply to goose299:

I get about 1000 miles out of Brooks Adrenalines, unless I use them a lot on stony trails, when the uppers quickly wear out. Both pairs of Mizuno Wave whatever-they-were wore out in less than 300 miles, although the soles were still fine. The last pair had a big gash and a hole after 120 miles.
 AsleepOnBelay 12 Sep 2016
In reply to goose299:

Salomon speedcross 3 - upper wore out around small toe knuckle at 250k. Took them back to Outside, who swapped them straight away, no messing. I went up half a size and their replacements (same shoe) have gone through at 450k, but Outside said they would only swap once. I guess I got 700k / 430 miles out of em, but its less than I expected. Grips on the second pair will probably be worn down to useless by 800k / 500 miles anyhow.

I will be able to report on Saucony Peregrine 6 and Inov8 Ultra 290s in a few months. Now I've tried most brands I'm planning on just buying shoes when they are on a deal, cos it's too expensive to run otherwise!

Almost all runs in the Peak District btw.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...