Post-cancer Haute route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi All,
I have just returned from the Glacier Haute Route (Chamonix to Zermatt), exactly one year on from having treatment for breast cancer
I wasn't sure how much the chemo, surgery and ongoing fatigue would affect my fitness and how I would cope at altitude
All went well and I wanted to share my story - to help other cancer patients know that there is light at the end of the tunnel, and that even with an agressive treatment regime, your fitness can return
So I have written a blog https://canceradventureblog.wordpress.com/ - so if you know anyone keen to get back to mountaineering after an ilness, maybe my story will help.
Thanks!
 jezb1 05 Aug 2016
In reply to get to the punchline:

Top effort
 zimpara 05 Aug 2016

Nice! Will read article after work. Do you have any lightweight gear tips?
 abr1966 05 Aug 2016
In reply to jezb1:

> Top effort

+1, well done and good on you sheffbabe!
 SteveM 05 Aug 2016

Well done! It was great to meet you in Cham before you started out on the trek (I'm Kat's other half) - congratulations on a successful trip.
 Geras 05 Aug 2016

Good effort, and write up. I am 3 years on from Cancer myself and went out to the Alps for the first time this year. Had a fantasitic time learned lots, and surprised myself on what I could take on. Biggest issue for me was the energy debt when I returned home, I was floored for around 10 days after. Unable to do anything other than the basics.

I think I should write up what I got up too.
 Jim 1003 05 Aug 2016

Brilliant effort and report.
In reply to zimpara:

I went as lightweight as possible in every single area. The only thing I took that I didn't use was gaiters (mainly because I hate them!) small snow gaiters would have been better than the ones I took (high ones)
The rest of my kit was perfect

Anything in particular you are looking for?
In reply to SteveM:

Thanks Steve!
What did you get up to after I left?
In reply to twodada:

Well done to you too then!
Yes, the fatigue was still an issue for me - afternoon naps in huts were absolutely compulsory otherwise I wouldn't have coped.
It is amazing the impact on our bodies so long after treatment isn't it?!
 SteveM 05 Aug 2016

Thanks for asking, we had to wait for the weather to clear up after seeing you, then got routes done in the Aiguilles Rouges, saw the tour de france on a couple of stages and stopped off in Font on the way home for some sunny bouldering to round off a relaxing fortnight. Result
astley007 06 Aug 2016
In reply to twodada:

Hi There,
Please write it up, it is an inspiration to a lot of people how we manage our cancers, and then through determination and hard work we achieve our own successes in a "sport!!" we love.
Its a little anecdotal at the moment, but "out door" types seem to do better at coping with and recovering from cancer than others who I shall call "couch potatoes" which seems to relate to goal setting..ie I will reach that summit, top of route etc drive, success brings pride in ones own abilities and general fitness, and this seems to come through during the illness.
Also, the support of the climbing community is fantastic, and seems to come from that "sharing" a rope/bivi/ adventure with others.
So please share and inspire
Cheers
Nick B

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...