Smelly boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
cb294 03 Aug 2016
Just a variation on the old theme. I know treating climbing shoes is easy, just fill with baking soda or washing powder, put in a bag, and dump them into the washing machine.

My problem is that I need to unstink my Scarpa mountaineering boots. After thoroughly soaking them in a Swedish bog and then walking another 100 miles over the next eight days the smell now falls under the Geneva convention.

Has anyone tried wrapping their boots in some towels, and giving them a spin, or will this kill my washing machine?

CB
 routrax 03 Aug 2016
In reply to cb294:
https://youtu.be/8_jLpd-_gdY?t=56s
Post edited at 16:58
In reply to cb294:

> Has anyone tried wrapping their boots in some towels, and giving them a spin, ....

No, but with Scarpa SLs (leather, no waterproof liner) I have a few times over the years after submersions in Scottish peat bogs just used the sink. Long soak in cool water with washing powder or preferably liquid soap and occasional agitation and water changes. Lots of cold water rinsing, slow drying followed by a good oiling and other treatments of the leather after drying and good to live another day.

Obviously try at your own risk as modern boots may not like this treatment, but one pair of SLs that had this treatment several times lasted some 10 yrs before leaking in wet conditions (and 25 yrs in total before the Skye gabbro destroyed them) so could not have been that bad for them . If my latest SLs were to need it I would do the same again and accept the risk of possibly causing some damage to the boots.

I was told by a boot/shoe repairer that some glues used in the manufacture process can't cope with being in a washing machine (no idea if it's the temp or the powder or something else). More likely with mountaineering boots though, the washing machine will not cope with the boots would be your biggest worry .
 IPPurewater 03 Aug 2016
In reply to cb294:

Have you tried Febreeze yet ?
 Dave B 03 Aug 2016
In reply to cb294:

Cat 5 wetsuit cleaner?
 ianstevens 03 Aug 2016
In reply to cb294:

Mine also stink to high heaven after beeing worn for 12 hours a day for the past month. I left them outside for 4 days, and they're not as bad now.
cb294 04 Aug 2016
In reply to routrax:

Exactly what I was worried about! My idea was packing the drum with towels, and use a no spin cycle.

CB
cb294 04 Aug 2016
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Makes sense, thanks!

CB
cb294 04 Aug 2016
In reply to IPPurewater:

No, but had much better success with washing for my climbing shoes.

CB
cb294 04 Aug 2016
In reply to Dave B:

Thanks, never heard of that before!

CB
cb294 04 Aug 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

Mine should still be illegal after a week. Not so bad when dry, but any moisture turns them into chemical weapons.

CB
 jonnie3430 04 Aug 2016
In reply to cb294:

Trying putting odour absorbing foot powder in them, I do it to my climbing shoes and works a treat.
cb294 04 Aug 2016
In reply to jonnie3430:

Had little success with this with my climbing shoes, hence I am keen on washing.

Cheers,
CB
 jonnie3430 04 Aug 2016
In reply to cb294:

If they are proper smelly it'll take a few wear/treat cycles to get them smell free. I have the habit of sprinkling some in when I get home now, so only have a smell problem on long trips when I don't bother taking it.
 David Cowley 04 Aug 2016

In reply to cb29

Fresh teabags.

Works a treat in my climbing shoes, trainers, boxing gloves etc. There cheap and you can easily continue to change them. Keep changing them every few days weeks or when required. Stick 2 or 3 in for faster effects

Honest this really works give it a go
Post edited at 23:06
 Babika 04 Aug 2016
In reply to David Cowley:

What do the teabags actually do?

Cover up one smell with another? Or do they have some sort of smell absorbing property?
 BnB 05 Aug 2016
In reply to David Cowley:

> In reply to cb29

> Fresh teabags.

> Works a treat in my climbing shoes, trainers, boxing gloves etc. There cheap and you can easily continue to change them. Keep changing them every few days weeks or when required. Stick 2 or 3 in for faster effects

> Honest this really works give it a go

Wet or dry tea bags?
In reply to cb294:

Check out Lemon Sole spray. It's a scented anti-bacterial and anti-fungal spray that im testing for review right now. It works amazingly well. It's the only thing i've used that doesn't end up giving you that combination of perfume smell mixed with stinking boots smell.
Rigid Raider 05 Aug 2016
In reply to cb294:

You derfinitely need something anti-bacterial and anti-fungal and you need to treat yourself for athlete's foot as well as all your other shoes. A healthy foot shouldn't make a bad smell.

Treat your own feet with Canestan thrush cream, which has 2% of the active rather than the 1% in Canestan athlete's foot cream.
 duchessofmalfi 05 Aug 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:

You could try absorbent cat litter - it will dry them out, absorb the smells and it is cheap.
cb294 05 Aug 2016

No, my feet are OK (I would know if something was wrong. Bacterial and fungal infection are something I have to deal with every now and then as Judo is done with bare feet). Just soaking the boots and then drying them on the feet over the next week is sufficient!

CB
 bouldery bits 05 Aug 2016

> No, but with Scarpa SLs (leather, no waterproof liner) I have a few times over the years after submersions in Scottish peat bogs just used the sink. Long soak in cool water with washing powder or preferably liquid soap and occasional agitation and water changes. Lots of cold water rinsing, slow drying followed by a good oiling and other treatments of the leather after drying and good to liveanother day

What oils do you recommend? My old SL's could do with some love as my slightly soggy feet found out at the weekend... Thanks in advance!

In reply to bouldery bits:
Sorry for delay - just noticed your post.

If the leather is really badly affected by time, neglect, or say detergent use, neatsfoot oil is remarkable stuff. I only use it on the older boots to rejuvenate the leather.
Its messy but effective so use gloves, protection for floor/worktop, and you will have to give them plenty of time (days) for it to soak in fully and be semi dry.

If not too bad, or normal soaking/drying use, you can use a small amount of neatsfoot but I much prefer liquid nikwax - the old really waxy stuff - but unfortunately this has not been sold as far as I'm aware for years. Nikwax went over to the aqueous wax and this just runs off and does not really soak in. I've still got some left to do me for a few years yet ! It is easy to get into all the stitching and parts of the boots that solid wax can't.

Other than that as regular maintenance nikwax or grangers solid wax is my preference for light general treatment. Personally don't like the thin liquid waterproofing treatments that are about.

Hope that helps.
Post edited at 21:56
 bouldery bits 07 Aug 2016

Brilliant - will seek out some neatsfoot oil.
Thankyou for the very detailed and helpful post. I've always used Scarpa's HS12 cream on my SL's in the past but I think some more intensive care is needed.

Thanks again!
Rigid Raider 07 Aug 2016
In reply to cb294:

Lard will do the same job as any fancy oil. Just warm up the boots and rub it in.
In reply to bouldery bits:
No problem.

Should have added, if using neatsfoot oil. Firstly it will darken the leather and secondly after it has soaked/semi dried in to the level you wish, remove the surplus and buff. You don't really want it messing trousers, etc. You can finish with whatever (polish etc) you prefer if anything. I don't for hill boots/working boots.

I've used HS12 and it was fine for surface treatment, as indeed I'm sure you will get many recommendations from others of their preferences.

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=472417&v=1#x6531470 will give you some other choices to think about.
cb294 07 Aug 2016

I prefer wax rather than fat based proofing agents for leather boots, e.g. snow seal or some other bees' wax based product. If you use want to use fat, lard will probably do the job, but smell accordingly!

CB
Rigid Raider 08 Aug 2016
In reply to cb294:

Pure lard doesn't smell bad; I used it when I worked a season as a Ramblers' leader in Haute Savoie on the recommendation of the hotel owner and it worked a treat; I certainly don't remember any smell.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...