PRESS RELEASE: Montane launches new Gore-Tex collection

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 02 Aug 2016
Montane - Gore License Press Release, 4 kbLightweight performance clothing and equipment brand Montane has become the first technical outdoor manufacturer to receive a Gore license in over a decade, marking its Autumn / Winter 2016 season as the debut for its new GORE-TEX® collection.

Read more
 beh 02 Aug 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Do Gore still insist on exclusivity?

I count 5 different waterproof fabrics being offered on the website (NeoShell, eVent, AQUAPRO Dynamic, PERTEX Shield). Will any of the others be phased out now?
 danm 02 Aug 2016
In reply to beh:

ME have offered jackets in Gore fabrics and their own Drilite for as long as I can remember. Perhaps Gore insist on not using a competitors product, not quite the same thing as exclusivity.
 beh 02 Aug 2016
In reply to danm:

Aye, I don't think they're too fussed by non/own brand fabrics, Patagonia having H2No would be another example. Was mainly wondering if they'd be dropping NeoShell and perhaps eVent.
 ScottTalbot 02 Aug 2016

I thought everyone was moving away from Goretex because it's always been over priced and under performing!?! Or has it dramatically improved over the last 15 years or so?
 Tyler 02 Aug 2016
Did put Jottnar have a license or don't you have to have a license to use gore tex
 beh 02 Aug 2016
> I thought everyone was moving away from Goretex because it's always been over priced and under performing!?! Or has it dramatically improved over the last 15 years or so?

No issue with the performance, although I don't believe it warrants a premium when it's not discernibly better than the alternatives. Had just thought Gore weren't keen on legitimate competition and so generally insist on some degree of exclusivity. Columbia (OutDry) filed an anti trust complaint against them a few years ago for this very reason. I'm not aware of any brands that offer both Gore and Neoshell waterproof fabrics.

> Did put Jottnar have a license or don't you have to have a license to use gore tex

Jottnar use NeoShell?
 Si dH 02 Aug 2016
In reply to beh:

> No issue with the performance, although I don't believe it warrants a premium when it's not discernibly better than the alternatives.

Is there any consensus on the 'best' own brand versions/alternatives? I would like to avoid Gore (and event) for cost reasons, but don't know which of anything else I can trust to be remotely decent.
 beh 02 Aug 2016
In reply to Si dH:

Not aware of any consensus, the difference is likely to be marginal. It's a bit boring but anything from a respectable brand will be perfectly functional.
 GForce1 02 Aug 2016
In reply to beh:

I guess they won't phase out Neoshell as Gore will not be able to insist that Polartec fabrics are dropped, but they will insist that Event is dropped. Not sure about Pertex? I did notice that some of the Montane windproofs were using own brand fabrics, so maybe it will be dropped?
 Simon Caldwell 03 Aug 2016
In reply to Si dH:

I've heard good things about Columbia OutDry, but it's only just starting to be available in this country and I don't know anyone that stocks it.
 nathan79 03 Aug 2016
In reply to Si dH:

If you're avoiding Gore and Event on the basis of cost then throw neoshell in with that pair too.

I'd say most of the own brand stuff from the big brands is worth a look. I have a wardrobe with Gore-tex, pertex shield, Marmot Membrain, Berghaus AQ and hydro shell jackets plus some neo shell trousers. (yes, I have too much stuff). They all keep me dry but the big difference is breathability/comfort.
 wbo 03 Aug 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear: Bergans Dermizax does not, in my experience last as well as Goretex.

I've got 4 Goretex jackets in my house - the oldest is a nearly 30 yr old Latok jacket in old 3ply that still performs well and is bulletproof if a little heavy. A 12 year old Goretex xcr jacket has only ever been 'meh ok', even when new whilst 2 much newer , lighter jackets are really good. My gut feeling is that while there might have been a time it was a bit rubbish Goretex have got there act pretty well now

Tyler 03 Aug 2016
In reply to beh:

> Jottnar use NeoShell?

Thanks, I'm very out of date. I assumed Goretex were still the non plus ultra of outdoor fabric so a brand like Jottnar wouldn't use anything else. Interesting that there are now equivalents (I guess here always were but Goretex were always pre-eminent)
 Si dH 03 Aug 2016
In reply to nathan79:

> If you're avoiding Gore and Event on the basis of cost then throw neoshell in with that pair too.

> I'd say most of the own brand stuff from the big brands is worth a look. I have a wardrobe with Gore-tex, pertex shield, Marmot Membrain, Berghaus AQ and hydro shell jackets plus some neo shell trousers. (yes, I have too much stuff). They all keep me dry but the big difference is breathability/comfort.

...yes but is there any view on which of the cheaper own brand options eg AQ, hydroshell etc) are the best?
 PPP 03 Aug 2016
In reply to ScottTalbot:

Yet it's one of the best materials you can get.
 ScottTalbot 04 Aug 2016
In reply to PPP:

For me, Triplepoint Ceramic was the best on the market 20 years ago, but their marketing wasn't as good. Combine that with later versions of the product not getting on with tx direct (this is my personal opinion and not proven fact) and Lowe Alpine just seemed to implode!
I remember Goretex having a reputation for a. Not being particularly breathable and b. The membrane breaking down.
My thoughts on the product may be out of date now, but you know how it is with first impressions...
So far, I can't fault eVent though.
 Howard J 04 Aug 2016

If this means they'll no longer be using Event then this it's disappointing news. I've had several Goretex jackets and they've all been rather hot and stuffy. My current jacket is Event by Montane and its much more comfortable.
 McT 16 Aug 2016
In reply to beh:

Gore stipulates that you are allowed to use your own proprietary waterproof membrane (H2No, PreCip, HyVent, Drylite, etc.) but competing membranes like NeoShell or eVent are not allowed in hard shell jackets.

North Face and Marmot experimented with NeoShell softshells that did okay, but their breathability was offset by how warm they got outside of winter conditions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...