Tent for the tall!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
DHo 29 Jul 2016
I'm in the market for a new 2 man tent however am struggling to find something that fits the bill - primarily because of my height (I'm 6'7" / 201cm). The criteria are as follows:

- 2 man
- 3/4 season
- Will comfortably fit me and my sleeping bag with having to sleep in the fetal position
- Preferably pitches outer first
- Suitable for UK conditions

I appreciate that weight may be a sacrifice as may cost however light and cheap would obviously be preferred!

I've currently found 2 tents that almost fit the bill. They are the MSR Hoop which at 240 x 130cm inner dimensions is big enough but does pitch inner first. The alternative is the Nigor - WickiUp 3 however I am unfamiliar with the tepee style design and its suitability.

I can't be the only tall prospective tent owner so any suggestions for tents that fit the following would be appreciated!

Thanks
 ScottTalbot 29 Jul 2016
In reply to DHo:

I'd be looking at Scandinavian brands, as they are generally a tall race.
 HIGHTOWER 29 Jul 2016
In reply to DHo:

I have a Vango Spirit 200+ and am the same height as you. I don't have to sleep in the fetal position and there's a big porch so your kit won't take up sleeping space. Also it pitches outer first.

Hope this helps.

Mark
 humptydumpty 29 Jul 2016
In reply to DHo:

> - Will comfortably fit me and my sleeping bag with having to sleep in the fetal position

Feels like a stupid question, but if you're alone can't you sleep diagonally?

DHo 29 Jul 2016
In reply to humptydumpty:

No issues when I'm going solo but typically go out as a pair.

Thanks for the tip off Mark - I'll take a look
DHo 29 Jul 2016
In reply to DHo:

Original post should obviously read "without having to sleep in the fetal position"!
 Lemony 29 Jul 2016
In reply to DHo:
The macpac minaret has a long side and a short side. I've had someone 6ft4 in mine with plenty of room and I'm reasonably sure you'd be ok. it's more at the 3 than the 4 season end of the scale though.

edit: see here for dimensions: http://www.needlesports.com/images/minaretplan2.jpg?maxheight=1200
Post edited at 17:24
 Reach>Talent 30 Jul 2016
In reply to DHo:

Try Robens tents, i have looked at a few and they generally seem longer. I've got a light dreamer which is bigger than you are looking for but fairly bomb proof. I am a gnats whisker shy of 6'8" and it has been fairly comfortable.
 Siward 30 Jul 2016
In reply to DHo:

Hilleberg Nallo 2 should fit the bill- I have one at 6'3" and there is room to spare (their website says sleeping length is 220cm whereas 6'7" is 200cm).
 Rick Graham 30 Jul 2016
In reply to Lemony:

> The macpac minaret has a long side and a short side. I've had someone 6ft4 in mine with plenty of room and I'm reasonably sure you'd be ok. it's more at the 3 than the 4 season end of the scale though.

I liked this post and my Minaret.

FWIW I find it bombproof and definitely 4 season. The most stable tent I have used with two poles.
In reply to DHo:

Teepee?
 toad 30 Jul 2016
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Tentipi do a lightweight (by their standards!) tent now. I really do appreciate the height in my bigger one but it's strictly car camping. Think it's called the olvin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...