Best jacket to live in?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CharlieMack 27 Jul 2016
So my ever trusty Mountain Equipment Astron hoody is just about to give up the ghost.
They don't seem to have something similar to replace it with

What jacket do you pretty much live in? The Astron is my go to top. Unless it's really hot or really raining, it does it.

Not particularly good at anything, but pretty good at everything. Soft and comfortable on skin. Keeps most of the wind out. Quite a bit of rain out. Great fit and great hood.
It will be sorely missed.
 Jamie B 27 Jul 2016
In reply to CharlieMack:

I've got an old-style Outdoor Research Chaos jacket. I bought it XXL as a belay jacket but to be honest it's too big, too bulky and too warm for most hill-use. HOWEVER... as a base camp jacket it can't be beaten and it pretty much lives in the car. Even in summer if I come off the hill drenched and cold it goes on and doesn't come off till I feel better. It's amazing, more of an environment than a piece of clothing. I love it - can you tell?
 MonkeyPuzzle 27 Jul 2016
In reply to CharlieMack:

Bought a Buffalo Active Lite Shirt about six months ago and I already know that when I wear it out I'll be getting another. Love the fact I don't have to worry about reproofing and also the huge pit zips and deep chest zip. Not winning any fashion awards, but then again it's very freeing when you totally give up!
 Timmd 27 Jul 2016
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

>. Not winning any fashion awards, but then again it's very freeing when you totally give up!

Yes it is, outdoor gear is outdoor gear.
 Paul Hy 27 Jul 2016
In reply to CharlieMack:

Mine Astron finally bit the dust as well.
http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?n=646553
 bouldery bits 27 Jul 2016
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> Bought a Buffalo Active Lite Shirt about six months ago and I already know that when I wear it out I'll be getting another. Love the fact I don't have to worry about reproofing and also the huge pit zips and deep chest zip. Not winning any fashion awards, but then again it's very freeing when you totally give up!

My Active Lite shirt is 10 years old now. It's brilliant. Get one.
 Dave the Rave 27 Jul 2016
In reply to CharlieMack:
Helly Hansen double fibre pile field jacket.
29 years old. A bit snug and the zip puller is broken, but it still zips up and is the best jacket I've had. Instant warmth.
 John Rowlands 27 Jul 2016
In reply to CharlieMack:

Another Buffalo lover, active lite and extra layers on top or special 6 for colder. Was talking lastnight to a friend about buffalo, who pretty much only wears buffalo clothing.

LastBoyScout 27 Jul 2016
In reply to CharlieMack:

Mountain Hardware Windstopper Tech jacket, TNF Massif vest and TNF Glacier micro fleece.
 JayPee630 28 Jul 2016
In reply to CharlieMack:

If I remember correctly the Astron was a light non-membrane softshell with a hood? Plenty of those about, ME make the Frontier which is very similar, or Squall which even lighter.

Or has been suggested a Buffal type lined windshirt, Rab Vapour Rise/Marmot DriClime style.

Those or go for one of the new Polartec Alpha light insulated jackets as mid/outer layers that are great. Patagonia (Nanoair) and now Arcteryx (Proton) also make their own equivalents which look good.
 Fraser 28 Jul 2016
In reply to CharlieMack:

I think my Rab Generator must be on my back for about 8-9 months a year.
 Smelly Fox 28 Jul 2016
In reply to CharlieMack:

I have a Klattermusen non treated soft shell (forget the name now). Wear it just about every time I head out, except when it's blisteringly hot. Easily the best jacket I've bought. I've had it for about 3 years, and can't see it wearing out in the next 10.
OP CharlieMack 28 Jul 2016
In reply to JayPee630:

Only thing with the Frontier is it's quite warm and heavy, but otherwise really good. The Squall is also great, but no hand pockets, otherwise i'd have bought one straight away. Looking at some of the alpha offerings, though not too keen on the glossimer fabrics like helium. Just purely for day to day working with climbing gear like slings just slide off it.
I've got their Ultratherm jacket which is amazing for hillwalking work! But very slidey for climbing stuff (coils and slings over shoulder just slide off).
 Dell 28 Jul 2016
In reply to CharlieMack:

Superdry. They're Japanese, and they keep you dry!
 jonnie3430 28 Jul 2016
In reply to CharlieMack:

Montane featherlite smock over whatever you are wearing. And rab xenon for when it gets chilly/ shops, but I've put a few holes in it as it is really thin, so have just justified one of the decathlon belay jackets I've had my eye on for a while...
 Fraser 28 Jul 2016
In reply to Dell:

> Superdry. They're Japanese,

Apparently not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperGroup

OP CharlieMack 28 Jul 2016
In reply to jonnie3430:

Cheers for replies folks. One of my main criteria is for it not to be a glossimer finish like that of the Featherlite smock (which i also own and like, though don't use much anymore due to having the ME Ultratherm!).##

Just want a simple softshell jacket, with a good hood and peak, two hand pockets and maybe a chest pocket, but not too fussy about that. Basically the ME Frontier, but around 400g not 600g. As i want it for summer use.
Already got a nice cosy fleecy softshell for colder days.

Pretty much something to chuck over a tshirt and will do most days when it's not really wet.
 bouldery bits 28 Jul 2016
In reply to CharlieMack:

Patagonia levitation jacket - if you can find one!
 More-On 28 Jul 2016
In reply to CharlieMack:

How about

https://www.montane.co.uk/en/men/clothing/softshell-fleece/dyno-stretch-jac...

I really like my Alpine Stretch for spring to autumn and this is it's replacement.
 ShortLock 28 Jul 2016
In reply to CharlieMack:

More Buffalo lovin', but the Belay jacket version with a full front zip, plus a hood and that's done me from -19oC and windchill up to 20 and still.
 Adam_Turner 28 Jul 2016
In reply to CharlieMack:

More buffalo love! Came straight off the hills from fell running today - quick dry off and on goes the buffalo, instant comfort!
 Dell 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Fraser:

> Apparently not.

Yes I know. They don't keep you dry either.

Bhealey 29 Jul 2016
In reply to CharlieMack:

Hey Charlie, I live in my patagonia nano air, I've used it for three years and repaired the crap out of it I've used it big walking ice climbing general climbing and work where I climb outside I also live in my van full time and would never be without it, when this one dies I'll be getting another, they also do one now which is waterproof but I haven't used it and have no idea how good it is.

Ben
OP CharlieMack 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Bhealey:

Fits the bill. Think we've found a winner! Just need to find it for under £150 now to make it worthwhile. Shame it's not slightly more hard-wearing. Though would probably lessen the breathability.
Good option, never really liked patagonia. Not sure why. Think i may have just been converted.
 lucozade 29 Jul 2016
In reply to CharlieMack:

Try themountainfactor.com and countryside.co.uk for the Nano Air Hoody - £120 and £129.90 respectively
 Slarti B 29 Jul 2016
In reply to lucozade:

A climbing friend has had nano air jacket for year or so and absolutely loves it.
There are some good Patagonia deals around at the moment, I have just bought myself nano air (non-hoody) for £90 from Mountain Factor . Looks great and very fast delivery.
 BnB 31 Jul 2016
In reply to Bhealey:

Good to see this thread has seen the light. Nano Air is the best piece of outdoor clothing I've ever worn. I have a couple of the hoodies.

So breathable you can climb in it. So insulating you can belay in it. Wore it to climb in the Dales yesterday, and will be wearing it under a shell in Scottish winter.
 summo 31 Jul 2016
In reply to CharlieMack:

ME aqua fleece or windstopper, from the era when ME built jackets to last.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...