Climbing and Yoga Retreat - thoughts?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Fiona B 26 Jul 2016
premier post photo
Hello

I run a small retreat company called Cowdance (http://www.cowdance.co.uk/), offering weekends away that are inspired by our innate need to spend time outdoors. I am expanding and looking for some help in deciding whether to start offering UK based climbing and yoga retreats. Your thoughts on this would be most welcome!

Proposed format:

- Residential weekends based in the Yorkshire Dales and/or Peak District.
- Tailored to those who have experience climbing indoors (and know how to lead and belay) and who want to make the jump to leading outdoors. A qualified guide(s) will provide tuition in trad leading.
- Great food
- Sociable accommodation in a large and high quality holiday cottage for comfort and relaxation
- Morning yoga to wake up and stretch
- Evening yoga to relax before bed
- Price (I'll leave this one up to you).

Alternative format:
- As above but no 'learn to lead' element. Instead, already competent climbers are free to set their own schedule during the day. Obviously this would be priced lower.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. You can also get in touch with me directly at fionayoga@outlook.com

Thanks in advance,

Fiona
 JayPee630 26 Jul 2016
In reply to Fiona B:

Sounds a great idea. I think some variety in accommodation would make it nice, say yurts or huts as well as a cottage (or even camping for people on a limited budget).

One evening have a chat by a physio on climbing related injuries?
OP Fiona B 27 Jul 2016
In reply to JayPee630:

Thanks for your thoughts. I've found that sometimes the quirky accommodation ends up being more expensive than a really well set up, comfortable holiday cottage. Perhaps for the novelty value of yurts people wouldn't mind the cost so much. Camping would definitely be an option worth looking into. Thanks !
 Mark Eddy 27 Jul 2016
In reply to Fiona B:

Hi Fiona,

I good idea to combine yoga and climbing. I think the alternative format will have a wider audience. Another alternative format is a weekend focusing on yoga and introductory climbing. For this you require less instructors too
In reply to Fiona B:

I think it sounds like a great idea, especially considering the amount of people who participate in both activities.

Both formats you've suggested sound appealing, depending on what sort of people you have booked on the retreat you could even run both simultaneously. Although if the experienced climbers broke off during the day, maybe this would fragment the group somewhat and not nurture the group experience you are perhaps wishing to achieve? Although they would be spending the rest of their time with the group i'm sure.

How many people would you be hoping to have on your retreat?

CornishLau 28 Jul 2016
In reply to Fiona B:

Fiona,

This is a great idea - myself (and others) would certainly be very interested. I'm sure individuals would be interested also, so it may be an idea to ensure people will not be without a climbing partner for the weekend e.g. even numbers on the retreat? Either option sounds great and I hope it happens!
OP Fiona B 28 Jul 2016
In reply to Mark Eddy:

Thanks Mark! Do you envisage this would be an introduction to climbing at an indoor wall or outdoors? If it's just top roping I wonder if people would spend half their time 'waiting to have a go' if there was just one instructor. What do you think?
OP Fiona B 28 Jul 2016
In reply to chrismcd:

I see your point regarding fragmentation of the group and, you're right, I am aiming for a friendly and nurturing group experience. There would have to be self sufficient groups for the latter option I think, or I would need to make a point of advertising that the retreat would connect solo guests with other climbers of similar grade. This seems a little complicated and potentially risky if people don't get along as climbing partners. There's a lot to think about!

I envisage that there would be around 10 people per retreat. I have found that this number allows for good group dynamics - any larger and the group tends to fragment.
OP Fiona B 28 Jul 2016
In reply to southwestclimber:

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm pleased that you like the idea and take your point about individuals not being without a partner - good idea. Would it be the option where a guide teaches trad leading that would interest you most, or the second unguided option?

If you like, I could take your email address and get in touch if/when I arrange the first date? my email is fionayoga@outlook.com
 Climbster 28 Jul 2016
In reply to Fiona B:

This sounds like a great idea but why limit your market ? You could do beginners breaks, with instruction, and breaks for more experienced climbers; with some optional coaching and/or personal guides to the local crags?

M
 Mark Eddy 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Fiona B:

Ideally it would be outdoors, but an indoor option for really wet / cold weather is good as a back up. Even with only 1 instructor it would be fine to have a couple of climbs going at once (more if there's a competent belay to help out). Can involve participants in the belaying too so provides learning that way too.
So yes some waiting around, but not that should detract from the enjoyment of the session. If the waiting around was still a concern, adjust the ratio to maybe 1:4, that will ensure everyone is climbing lots.
OP Fiona B 30 Jul 2016
In reply to Climbster:

Yeah - I like your style! And great you think that all these options could work In terms of limiting my market, I guess I'm just being cautious, trying to lower financial risk by opting for the most popular format as I'd be paying accommodation deposits upfront etc. and would risk making a loss if numbers were low. Speaking of which, any thoughts on where would be best to advertise? Paid adverts in Summit? UKC? Climbing walls? Thanks M.

OP Fiona B 30 Jul 2016
In reply to Mark Eddy:

Thanks Mark. I like this idea. I hadn't thought of participants belaying each other (I assumed this would be out of the question for insurance reasons) but if this is something that instructors are covered for then it would be ideal.
 James Malloch 01 Aug 2016
In reply to Fiona B:

Hi Fiona,

Not very much to add but I hope that you and Rich are both well. With regards to advertising, I would imagine that this site would reach a fairly wide audience whom may be interested.

Plus climbing walls locally, and those in London. I often saw similar things advertised down there which I believe seemed popular. There's plenty of money down there too...

Then there are sites such as groupon. I'm not sure how that works (it may be expensive), or even if anyone can advertise, but I regularly see weekend retreats / adventure weekends advertised on there. It would have quite a wide audience too.

A final thought would be to invite someone along who may be able to write a review somewhere that would get a decent amount of hits. E.g. Someone from a yoga/climbing magazine. Though this would require it to already be set up etc but it could be a way to get a decent write up in return for a free weekend. Again, no idea how/if this really works either...

Best of luck with it all and if you're ever passing Leeds then pop in to see the boat!
OP Fiona B 02 Aug 2016
In reply to James Malloch:

Hi James,

Thank you for the ideas. I think I might have to take a tour round the Capital's climbing walls at some point, which would be a nice chore I've looked into Groupon before but I didn't meet their criteria, although that might have changed; worth further investigation although the discounts that are offered are sometimes quite deep - scarily so! Still, something else to add to the mix. Thanks!

All is well, thanks. Hope life is good on the boat; I'd love to see it one day.
 CornishLau 03 Aug 2016
In reply to Fiona B:

Hi Fiona, I've sent you an email.
gauravmanral 13 Aug 2016

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...