Job Interview.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Moley 25 Jul 2016
Completely unexpectedly, I had a call yesterday to ask me to be on an interview panel (of 3) tomorrow. It is for a part time job in conservation, a nice outdoor job too and I work as a volunteer for the scheme so they want me to help with some questions and decisions etc.

I have just received the applications from the shortlisted and am going through them, from very highly qualified with little experience to experienced but big gaps in requirements. I always thought it must be a doddle conducting interviews (the stress being on the other side of the table), but I'm already not so sure!
Reading the applications I'm building up a pre-conceived idea of what the candidates will be like, how should I phrase questions, how should I probe for weaknesses and strengths, will I just think "There's something wrong about them"?

All very interesting, I'm looking forward to it in a rather nervous way!
 stubbed 25 Jul 2016
In reply to Moley:

Identify what the job holder needs to be competent in, and ask questions that assess this competency.
Usually it's easier to ask for examples of where they have demonstrated these competencies in the past so you can see how they would have acted in situations.
 Tony the Blade 25 Jul 2016
In reply to Moley:
My interview time is in... I'll watch this thread with added interest
Post edited at 15:29
astley007 25 Jul 2016
In reply to Tony the Blade:

and I am just after you!!!!..hopefully you will help me get myself and the wheelchair up to the third floor?
Cheers
 the sheep 25 Jul 2016
In reply to Moley:

Try ask open questions that the interviewee can expand on if they wish rather than yes no answers.

If you want to drop in a slightly tougher question do it later in the interview. Give them chance to get over initial nerves then you get to find out more about the person.

On several occasions I have ended up going for the person who wasn't top of the list after shortlisting, in fact on one occasion we gave a job to someone who was making up the numbers. as their application was poor but they were great at interview.
Moley 25 Jul 2016
In reply to the sheep:

Thanks for the tips, the applicants range from highly qualified (vet, research) to highly practical and experienced in the specific role.
I think I will be veering towards enthusiasm, personality (have to deal with public), attention to detail and ability to sort out practical problems on their own. We shall see and I shall let you know how it goes - for me
 ogreville 25 Jul 2016
In reply to Moley:
I've always found that it's important for the interviewer(s) to actually sit down and think about the role itself they're looking to fill before even thinking about the candidate.

What kind of Management support is available day to day to the new employee?
Will there be time/opportunity for personal development, training? Or do they need to already know it all?
Are the responsibilities of the role already clearly defined / written out as a job description?
How much independent thinking is going to be required of the person?

I find these questions, even though very generic sounding, are a good starting point for understanding what the candidate needs to demonstrate in the interview. You can then formulate the questions to help them demonstrate this on the day.
Post edited at 17:01
 jonfun21 25 Jul 2016
In reply to Moley:
Make sure you/the panel ask the same set of questions to each candidate (e.g. a series of competency questions relevant to the role, tell about a time when you did x, explain how you would solve problem y) then score each one 1 (poor) 5 (exceptional).

This enables you to achieve predictive validity in terms of job performance (did any of the candidates meet the standard/score) and also comparative validity (which one was best)

Unstructured interviews where you ask different/random questions to people have been show to have the same predictive validity as analysing their hand writting style (i.e. low!)

Clearly the intro and end can be a bit more free flow but still aim for similar questions (tell me what you know about the organisation, outline why you want the role, what are your strengths/weaknesses)

If you all score using the same 1 - 5 methodology and agree in advance what it takes to get a specific score you should be able to easily differentiate between candidates.

If you then have a "tie" you can hold a 2nd interview/work trial to work out "fit" which is harder to assess in formal interview situations.
Post edited at 17:16
Moley 25 Jul 2016
In reply to jonfun21:

We have a set of questions to ask, I'm responsible for 3 of them, the more practical aspects, so it will be fairly balanced for all concerned.
 JJL 25 Jul 2016
In reply to Moley:

Christ on a bike.

What organisation is this that asks someone who has never done any interviewing, and has no training in doing it, to be part of the assessment process fo rsomething as important as offering a job?

That's quite apart from the issues about bunging you the applicaitons the day before and providing no structure to the questions or scoring.

They may as well just pick someone with a nice shirt.

No blaming you by the way, but what you describe is a a disservice to the applicants
Moley 25 Jul 2016
In reply to JJL:

Wildlife conservation, in fact the other 2 are well qualified and versed in the process, but with the 3rd probable interviewer away in Japan they asked me to step in at short notice, mainly because those 2 have little experience in some aspects of the job - which I do have.
So really I'm just asking some questions which I know relevant from my experience, I'm relying on them to lead me. Like health and safety aspects of lone working in remote areas, fairly common sense if you are used to being out in the wilds.

It isn't as bad as it seems.
 wbo 25 Jul 2016
In reply to Moley: I've done some interviewing and will 2nd what ogreville said. The crucial question you need ask is to those holding the interviews - what role am I interviewing for?

Write a lot of notes, impresssions immediately after each interview.

bouldery bits 25 Jul 2016
In reply to Moley:

MAKE THEM RUN THE GAUNTLET!!!!

Or at least give the candidate a chance to settle into the interview
 Pete Pozman 25 Jul 2016
In reply to Moley:

Be careful what you say about this matter on this or any other forum, my friend. You are in danger of compromising the whole process. If I were you I would delete this thread immediately.
I know you are trying to be generalist in your comments but you really should not be discussing it with a load of tossers like us.
Good luck with the process. Bring the thread down.
Moley 25 Jul 2016
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I've tried to be reasonably vague and not mention the actual job or candidates. All be over tomorrow, I won't be saying anymore till it is.
 the sheep 25 Jul 2016
In reply to Moley:
Hope it all goes well for you, it's nervous being either side of the table.
Moley 26 Jul 2016
In reply to the sheep:

That was hard work, had to engage brain cells big time. Not as easy as one imagines!
Can't comment as another couple of candidates next week.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...