Walking near RAF Cosford

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JuanTinco 20 Jul 2016

Pretty much in the title, i'm going to find myself at a loose end for a couple of days and keen to get out for a walk, will have transport so happy to drive around 1h 30.

Any suggestions welcome,

thanks
Juan

Edited for awfal spelling
Post edited at 17:25
Wulfrunian 20 Jul 2016
In reply to JuanTinco:

The Shropshire hills are less than an hour away from Cosford - probably the best, closest spot for walking. A bit further afield are the Berwyns, which you can get to in just over an hour. The high tops from the impressive Pystyll Rhaeadr waterfall is worth doing.
 Adam_Turner 20 Jul 2016
In reply to JuanTinco:

Snowdonia isn't THAT far away from the base. It's quite a nice drive from there as well
In reply to JuanTinco:
> Edited for awfal spelling

I see what you mean

Drive west on the M54 past Telford and you very soon reach two hills, The Ercall and The Wrekin.

Further west, follow A49 south from Shrewsbury to Church Stretton. There you have the Stretton Hills and The Long Mynd. A longer walk would take you to The Stiperstones.

Or follow A458 west from Shrewsbury and approaching Welshpool you'll find Moel Y Golfa, Breidden Hill and Middletown Hill.

Or take the A5 northwest from Shrewsbury and you'll have the whole of the northern Welsh Marches to explore. As an example, RAF Cosford to Llangollen is about 55 miles (under 90 minutes drive).

ballsac 21 Jul 2016
In reply to JuanTinco:

the two clees are dead close - Brown Clee is marginally higher, with far fewer people but a longer and harder walk from wherever you can leave the car, while Titterstone Clee has a car park at 400m or so. its bare, but has fantastic views to the Black Mountains, Radnor and Brecon Beacons.

more people on the summit, but its a massive hill and you could easily do a 9km round trip and only see people in the car park...

the Stiperstones are great - you can see Snowdon on a very good day, again, get away from the honey pot summit and its empty. that said, i've been there in decent weather and sen less than half a dozen people the whole day.
OP JuanTinco 21 Jul 2016
In reply to Sceptical Bastard:

I was hoping someone would bite at the spelling mistake, guess you live up to your name.
OP JuanTinco 21 Jul 2016
In reply to JuanTinco:

Thanks for the replies,

Think leaning towards one day going North and one day South. Snowdonia can always be my back up plan.

Thanks again
Juan
In reply to JuanTinco:

> ... guess you live up to your name

Do my best to...

North or south, enjoy the walks

PS: the Clee hills are a good suggestion

OP JuanTinco 26 Jul 2016
In reply to JuanTinco:

Made it South, did a nice loop around Brown Clee and down through what felt like Estate grounds, as mentioned above saw no-one bar a few radio enthusiasts on the summit.

Rest of the leave cancelled, but hopefully will have the opportunity to be in the area again soon.

Juan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...