Routes with Good Bivvy Situations in the Alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 EuanM 20 Jul 2016
Hi,

I'm currently doing lots of route research for an upcoming (25th Aug) trip to Chamonix and the surrounding area. We're hiring a car and don't have any accommodation so fairly flexible on location.

I'd like to include a couple of routes with opportunities to bivvy high on the mountain. The route that spiked my interest in this is the Grepon from the Mer De Glace. Good ledges and great views. The difficulty of the hardest pitches, however, are probably out of my grasp at the moment. I don't want to reach the Knubel Crack and get stuck!

Does anyone have any good suggestions for ledge or high bivvys with minimal rock fall risk?

Cheers

Bserk 20 Jul 2016
In reply to EuanM:

define high? Did you had a look at Aiguille Blanche via Monzino Hut and Craveri Bivi?
 Albert Tatlock 20 Jul 2016
In reply to EuanM:

The Knubel crack is the last pitch of the route on the summit block, you can bypass it to the side to get to the top.

Do a search, several threads previously on Mer de Glace face
OP EuanM 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Bserk:
Anything with a nice perch or vantage point. Actual altitude is less important.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look at them.
 Patrick G 20 Jul 2016
In reply to EuanM:

Voie Normale (République) (D+ 5c)

Aiguille de la République, Voie Normale, evening before climb the first couple of pitches above the bergshund, leave axes and crampons there, few more pitches to the large bivy ledge, then you can leave bivy gear there and collect on descent, great views from the bivy and you get ahead of anyone starting from the hut in the morning.
OP EuanM 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Patrick G:

Thanks Patrick, I'll do a bit of homework on that one!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...