Scotland Canoeing for idiots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ebdon 20 Jul 2016
I've recently acquired an inflatable canoe and am off on my hols to north west Scotland next week. Although I'd like to think that its going to be wall to wall sunshine I thought it prudent to plan some wet weather activities, which will most likely involve mucking about in some lochs and possible trying to paddle in to Carn Mor if the weathers nice. as I'm a total novice can anyone inform me if there are any access issues or anything I should be aware of? I've looked at the SCA website but it all seems a bit vague.
Thanks
 Lucy Wallace 20 Jul 2016
In reply to ebdon:
Well..... I'm sure some paddlers will be on shortly to give you safety advice, but for access you should be ok as you'll be there before the stalking season really gets in to full swing. Officially it begins on the 1st of July but these days most estates wait until mid aug at the earliest due to the pressure of hillwalkers on the hill.
If you are accessing an estate during stalking times- then its worth contacting the estate for info. Are you getting to Carn mor from Loch Arkaig? Then its Glen Dessary estate: http://www.glendessary.info/

General rule of thumb if you can't get info on stalking is to stick to paths, ridges and main burnsides in valleys- ie don't cross open hillsides.
Post edited at 13:49
 Pids 20 Jul 2016
In reply to ebdon:

generally no access problems - just don't wander through crops, dragging your boat behind you

lochs can get pretty wild if a squall hits it, the winds get funnelled through the hills which can make large waves on the lochs, be careful
In reply to ebdon:

I assume you mean Carnmore in Fisherfield. Stalking up here (I live in Gairloch)trends not to get up and running fully until September. Very wet and midgy at the moment. Has been a wet July so far - except for yesterday! Not looking too good for the rest of July - light winds and damp so little respite from the midgies. We had our summer last 2 weeks of May and first 2 weeks of June when it was absolutely beautiful . Hope you get lucky!
 phizz4 20 Jul 2016
In reply to ebdon:

I suggest that you get a copy of either 'Scottish Canoe Touring' or 'Scottish Canoe Classics', both published by Pesda Press.
 Mal Grey 20 Jul 2016
In reply to ebdon:

Without wanting to put a damper on your plans, I'd liken canoeing on big open water like Fionn Loch to mountaineering, in that you need conditions to be really good to risk it, or it can be very dangerous even lethal, and good judgment gained by experience is key. Its certainly not a windy weather alternative, though rain on its own won't affect you much other than making it damper! Wind is your real enemy, and I wouldn't be risking anything above about 12-15 mph as a very rough rule of thumb, maybe less in an inflatable as they tend to be hard work in winds. More than any other activity I've done, paddling relies on good conditions.

On the other hand, your inflatable would allow you to paddle some amazing sheltered and/or small lochs, which might well add a lot to your trip.

Access will be fine, Scotland's good for that sort of thing. Midges will be happy to see you.

thomm 21 Jul 2016
As Mal noted, wind is what you have to watch out for. Check the direction and expect wild conditions if it's blowing briskly along a long loch. I did some solo kayaking in the north-west with minimal experience and had a brilliant time, camped on an island etc, though an unexpected easterly on the last day had me fighting a big swell to get back to my car. Midges were not a big problem on the water. Picked up a couple of ticks.. Enjoy.
 marsbar 21 Jul 2016
In reply to ebdon:
Try posting here http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/forum

I haven't tried an inflatable, so I don't know, but I'm guessing that it doesn't have a skeg, so be aware that if it's windy it may not go where you want it to. As above the wind on a loch can be a problem. I'm an experienced paddler, and have a skeg, and still found it hard going on one particular day when the wind was funnelling. Can't remember which loch ! Loch Lochy maybe (great name)

Have you practiced getting back in it if you capsize? If you are going alone you need to be able to self rescue. I'm assuming you have a PFD.

Oh and sorry, I know you are not an idiot, but obviously be aware it's blooming cold in the water even in the summer.
Post edited at 09:59
OP ebdon 21 Jul 2016
In reply to marsbar:
Thanks for the advice all - I've been warned by more experienced friends about the wind so shall take note. I'm pretty cautious when it comes to water sports as its not something I've done much off and (think) I have all the appropriate safety gear.

I had to Google Skeg - I always wondered what that bit was called! (I've got a little one)

either way after reviewing the forecast today I think I think I might have to give the NW a miss this year in search of sunnier (and less midgey) climes.
Post edited at 13:05

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...