Weather forecast website

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Costadia 19 Jul 2016
Hi all

Would anyone have any suggestions about the most reliable online weather forecast for Scotland? I know that Scottish weather may be difficult to predict…

Cheers
 drunken monkey 19 Jul 2016
In reply to Costadia:
For specific to the mountains I use MWIS:

www.mwis.org.uk/

Edit to say: For reliable - I really wouldn't look at weather here beyond 5 days in advance.
Post edited at 13:34
In reply to Costadia:
"Most" reliable - who knows!

My suggestion is yr.no - used commercially by a very large Scottish Company where accurate weather forecasting is critical to day to day functioning. If it was good enough for them to pay for it, well it is good enough for me, and so it has proven.
 Seocan 19 Jul 2016
In reply to Costadia:

I use xcweather and metcheck,
its the weather, you need to way up a few opinions before you make any decisions.
I find both of them to be reasonable though
 CurlyStevo 19 Jul 2016
In reply to Costadia:

the best forecasts are met mountain MWIS and the met office website for specific places. The met office have the biggest expertise, team and infer structure in the UK as well as the largest super computers and they work very closely with ECMWF who are one of the few leading outfits that produces the raw data that other forecasters use. MWIS probably has one of the biggest single experts for UK mountain weather doing much of the forecasting.
 Mal Grey 20 Jul 2016
In reply to Costadia:

Agreed on a combination or yr.no, xcweather, mwis, and the other main websites. Just look at them all until you find one that means you go out to the hills .

They're getting more accurate in terms of predicting trends of weather, what remains difficult is getting the timing right, and the way the jet stream has been, its hard to predict how far south/north certain weather patterns end up.

marra 23 Jul 2016
In reply to Costadia:

I will second yr.no, also the mwis, and also the met office, then make your best judgement going by the three of them, thats what I normally do
 ralphio 23 Jul 2016
In reply to Costadia:

I use met office, yr.no. and MWIS and go with whichever sounds the most promising.
 AlH 23 Jul 2016
In reply to Costadia:

I live and work in the Highlands and use MWIS and the Met Office (which I now access through the App MWUK which gives me access to info from both of those sites plus weather stations and synoptic charts- don't miss the fact that Met Office give you forecasts specific to many mountains as well as just the west and east highland forecasts) and often cross reference with yr.no which seems quite accurate (I believe 'yr' translates as 'light drizzle' amongst other things). One of the forecasters for one of the above sites told me that any forecast more than 72 hours in advance was technically known as 'cloud cuckoo land' by meteorologists!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...