Bivvy bag advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fantastical 18 Jul 2016
Looking at buying a bivvy bag but not sure what to go for. Going to be for UK summer use mainly.

Currently looking at the Alpkit Hunka which looks pretty good. Do I need the XL version or the normal one? Would be nice to be able to have a mat inside the bag and possibly some gear as well. I'm 5'1" though so bit worried the XL might be overkill! Any advice?
 KevinJ 18 Jul 2016
In reply to Fantastical:
I use the Hunka XL primarily as a sleeping bag cover when winter camping and snowholing. If packs down quite well and has plenty of space for a heavier sleeping bag. The extra length allow for a bit of storage at the foot of the bag if needed.
The main reason jolted for the XL was the width. I am about 46" chest and 5'10" if that assists for comparison.
I would suggest that at 5'1" the standard would be ideal for length.
Kev
 Dell 18 Jul 2016
In reply to Fantastical:

You'll probably be alright with the standard, it's lighter and cheaper for a start. If there's no room for your gear inside, carry a big plastic rubbish bag or small poundshop tarp to cover your gear if it rains.

Mat outside better, will protect the bivvy bag.
 marsbar 18 Jul 2016
In reply to Fantastical:
If weight is no object then I put my 3/4 thermarest in the bag and an old school foam mat underneath.

I use a dry bag for gear that needs to stay dry.
Post edited at 19:46
OP Fantastical 18 Jul 2016
In reply to Fantastical:

Thanks all =)
 LG-Mark 18 Jul 2016
In reply to Fantastical:

You've probably already considered it but if out in the open in summer you might get eaten alive by midges & mossies depending where you go.
Some sort of mesh over the head area might be useful.

I had a hunka a while ago, size-wise I think you'll be fine. But I've moved onto an MSR AC bivy and my son has a Black Diamond Twilight principally because they have a mesh panel and a cowl.
 Kevster 18 Jul 2016
In reply to Fantastical:

I have a ridge raider, rab.
has a little pole to offer face space, and importantly a midge net.
I think it's fantastic, sleep really well in it.

Mostly car camp, so no technical input.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...