Dental advice sought - is popping a tooth abscess safe?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 16 Jul 2016

Hi all,

I get the impression there's the odd dentist or ex-dentist on here, so I thought I'd ask. I have a wisdom tooth with a dying nerve in it, which is going to be removed a week next Monday. A squishy lump has just recently started to appear, would I be risking anything like blood poisoning if I popped it?

Many thanks.
Tim
interdit 16 Jul 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Not a dentist, but as I understand it it is quite likely if you turn up for a tooth removal with a bacterial infection in your mouth, the dentist will send you packing with an antibiotic prescription.
There is a very great risk of complications if they remove a tooth an you have a big bacterial infection near it.

Why not actually phone your dentist today? They will probably get you on the correct medicine to ensure your tooth removal can happen next week.

> A squishy lump has just recently started to appear, would I be risking anything like blood poisoning if I popped it?

You don't really need to be a dentist to answer this. There is a risk. How big a risk depends on several factors. It would be a silly way to make yourself ill though.
OP Timmd 16 Jul 2016
In reply to interdit:
The last abscess I had which was related to a tooth needing to be removed didn't result in my being sent packing. I was on antibiotics before hand and it didn't do anything, and a load of puss came out once the removed the tooth and no concern was voiced at the time.

This abscess is in a different place, in being 'higher up'.
Post edited at 14:12
In reply to Timmd:

Why isn't leaving it be until a week on Monday an option?

T.
OP Timmd 16 Jul 2016
In reply to Pursued by a bear:
I was just wondering really.

It's rather uncomfortable too, so I thought I'd ask.

It didn't expect the Spanish inquisition.
Post edited at 14:17
 alx 16 Jul 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Root canal is done when the nerve is dying and rotting so I wouldn't be too worried. Trust your dentists years of experience and training to make the best decision for your long term health over ten minutes idle googling.

I used corsodyl, to help manage my gums whilst waiting for a root canal and that helped with the infection.

Rick Graham 16 Jul 2016
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

> Why isn't leaving it be until a week on Monday an option?

If it is an abscess developing, get some professional help asap.

Unless you wish to be in agony waiting for an emergency appointment with your dentist that is ?

NHS helpline, A+E, out of hours doctor?

IMHO not easiest to get sorted on the weekend.

steveanthony 16 Jul 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Hi Tim,
I am a dentist, can offer some advice.
The 'squishy' lump is likely to be the be a
build up of pus/blood/bacteria as a result of the dead pulp inside the offending tooth- an abcess.
A dental abcess is more painful if pressure builds up with nowhere for it to go, this gives the typical throbbing pain that people don't forget in a hurry!
Draining the abcess is the treatment of choice- this can be done by removing the tooth or by piercing the gum to allow pus to drain- massaging the area will help and rinse with warm salty water.
Antibiotics should be avoided unless absolutely necessary.
Hope this helps- glad you've got arrangements to see you're own dentist and not just leaving things
 Yanis Nayu 16 Jul 2016
In reply to Timmd:

All dentists are odd.
Removed User 16 Jul 2016
In reply to Timmd:
I wanted to be a Dentist when I was younger. Tie a length of 3mm cord around the sore tooth, tie the other end to a door handle and get a friend to slam the door when you don't expect it. Drinking heavily first will make it less painful.
 John_Hat 16 Jul 2016
In reply to Timmd:
Yes, of course It's risky. However in the same situation I popped said lump - well, drove a needle into it actually. I did, at least, sterilise the needle first and disinfect the area afterwards.

I lived through the experience and didn't get an infection. Your mileage may vary.
Post edited at 23:18
 JEF 16 Jul 2016
In reply to Removed Userclaire14:

> I wanted to be a Dentist when I was younger. Tie a length of 3mm cord around the sore tooth, tie the other end to a door handle and get a friend to slam the door when you don't expect it. Drinking heavily first will make it less painful.

Sliding doors are not the best option for this, just saying.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...