Boot suitability for Elbrus

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gedlawrenson 12 Jul 2016
Hi,

I am planning to climb Elbrus in early August and I am looking for boot advice. At the moment I have been to the Alps with a pair of B3 Scarpa Mont Blanc Pro GTX's. I have climbed Mont Blanc wearing these without issues.

I am looking for your thoughts - would these be suitable for Elbrus or should I rent a pair of double boots / plastics?

Thanks a lot in advance!
 Adam_Turner 12 Jul 2016
In reply to gedlawrenson:

On a day with decent weather I'd say yep absolutely no problem... However! If the weather goes sour, which with the wind and temperature - it's a possibility, I felt a lot more comfortable in plastics.

I stood on the summit in just softshell trousers and jacket but just before dawn was some of the coldest temperatures I've experienced and was very glad for my Spantiks.
 michaelmurray 12 Jul 2016

I climbed Elbrus in mid-May a few years ago and it was bitterly cold on summit day before the sun came up. I wore Phantom 6000s and a friend was wearing Scarpa Omegas and we both had cold feet.

However this was early season and as Adam said it would probably be very different on a decent weather day in July/August.
 alexm198 12 Jul 2016

I summited Elbrus in normal Scarpa Mont Blancs back in 2013. My feet were fine.
OP gedlawrenson 13 Jul 2016

Thanks for the advice guys - that's a pair of the Salomon's ordered .

I think I'll rent a pair of plastics, better to be too warm than too cold!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...