Tent Recycling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 josh12345 11 Jul 2016
Hello,

Following a UKC recommendation earlier in the year I have bought a new tent. My old one is no longer water proof but it seems very wasteful to throw it in the bin. Does anyone know of any better things to do with old tents?

I've had a look on google but can't find anything that seems very recent. There is something about making clothing but the WITHiNTENT website does not seem to have been updated for years.

Any suggestions welcome....

Thanks
 Timmd 11 Jul 2016
In reply to josh12345:

What tent is it, it could give people ideas?

At the worst which could happen, you could take the poles to the scrap yard and put the tent fabric in some bin bags and take it to a charity shop and say it's for their material to be taken to be shredded into filling for different things?

hth
 Greasy Prusiks 11 Jul 2016
In reply to josh12345:

You could put it on eBay or here as free to a good home type thing?
 WildCamper 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:
Aye, someone could use it as a sun shelter or a childs play house

Edited to add: or more likely at this time of year a festival tent lol
Post edited at 21:20
Removed User 11 Jul 2016
In reply to josh12345:

Might depend on how worn it is. If it's past it you could give it away for kids to play in. Freecycle is good for this sort of thing.
 leon 1 11 Jul 2016
In reply to josh12345:
Take it into a city and offer it to someone sleeping rough ? Might not be waterproof to you, but used under a bridge or under plastic sheeting alongside similar other tents it may help give a rough sleeper some privacy.
Post edited at 21:34
 Timmd 11 Jul 2016
In reply to josh12345:

Great idea about a tent for a rough sleeper. ^^^
 leon 1 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Timmd:
When you buy new hats, gloves, fleeces etc for winter,its always worth giving your old ones away to these guys and girls. Its generally pretty worthless to us by then so rather than just leaving it in the back of a cupboard for years maybe give it to some homeless people? They need it and always appreciate any help you can give them (and dont care if the stuff you give is from Millets rather than from Arcteryx as long as it helps keep them warm.)
Theres also a few organisations around like this in most major cities to help distribute the stuff if youre nervous about talking to the homeless
http://www.barnabus-manchester.org.uk/donating_goods.html
Post edited at 22:50
 Toerag 12 Jul 2016
In reply to josh12345:

I have a VauDe mk3 free to a good home for exactly this reason - see my thread in 'for sale' forum.
OP josh12345 14 Jul 2016
In reply to josh12345:

Thanks for the suggestions, really helpful I've put it on my local freecycle type thing.
 angry pirate 15 Jul 2016
In reply to josh12345:

My very old Voyager gave up the ghost last year after 20+ years. I was torn between giving it a Viking funeral (v bad for the environment) or giving it to the boys as a play tent. They've slept in it loads.
Good to see there are some alternative options out there for when they grow out of it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...