Another tent question - Alpkit Ordos 2?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Wulfrunian 10 Jul 2016
Morning all

Looking at options for a 2 person tent suitable for 3 season UK wild camps (mainly in Snowdonia and the Lakes, with the occasional foray north of the border). Needs to cope with all the wind and rain that a Welsh summer can throw at it, be sub-2kg if possible and cost no more than £300 (but preferably less!)

The 2016 version of the Alpkit Ordos 2 seems to tick all these boxes, being light and well-priced. The only potential downside I can see is the fact that it's inner pitched first (but, rather puzzlingly, also outer pitched first, sort of, if you believe the blurb). Is this the deal-breaker that the press would have you believe? I'm tempted to think not, but welcome the input of anyone who has an Ordos 2 or any other inner pitched first tent.

Am I missing anything else with the Ordos 2? It does seem like a very good deal for a good spec. Should be plenty roomy enough for me and the missus, as we're not terribly tall. Are there any other stand-out tents I should be considering for the price? (Having read in various places about snapping poles and appalling customer service, I've ruled out anything from Terra Nova/Wild Country).

Thanks.
 routrax 10 Jul 2016
In reply to Wulfrunian:

I was looking for something similar last year and had the MSR Elixir 2 on my list too, along with the Ordos.

My friend has just bought an Elixir 3 and the build is very good.

I think most of these can be pitched outer first if you have the footprint and the pole can be attached to it
In reply to Wulfrunian:

Ordos 2 is a brilliant wee tent especially for that money , I had the previous version
Which was a little on the thin side Groundsheet & Fly , New Model has been greatly
Improved ! So easy to set up honestly 2 mins and the Flysheet can be flung on
However I'd say this off most Lightweight Sil-Nylon tents it does need to be looked after! Footprint or some kind of groundsheet is a must £195 for a 1.3kg that's will do 2 won't be beaten & Alpkit Customer service is Excellent
Wulfrunian 10 Jul 2016
In reply to Wulfrunian:

Thanks both.

The Force Ten Helium 2 has now entered the mix! Less room than the Ordos (not likely to be an issue but will nip down the local Go Outdoors for a wriggle around in a virtually identical sized Banshee 200 before deciding). However the Helium is built from heavier duty stuff so likely to last longer. 70 denier groundsheet plus 20 denier fly, vs. 20 and 15 on the Ordos. Outer pitch first/all in one too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...