Does fell running knacker your knees?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MattDTC 08 Jul 2016
I'm sure in the short term it's not a problem, but my hunch is that if you do alot of running downhill, that twenty, thirty years, or so later, you are more likey to have worn out knees (cartilage). With this in mind, I tend to walk down steeper hills, or rougher ground these days.
Am I being overly cautious?
My knees are fine BTW. I just want to keep them that way for as long as.
In reply to MattDTC:

Everything we do causes wear and tear. Some sports more than others.

Running on concrete whilst overweight knackered my knees and I'm 25, so can't see fellrunning being much better. That being said some people seem to have indestructible meniscuses, I know some 60 year old ultra runners with better knees than me, so depends on your body I guess.
 Roadrunner5 08 Jul 2016
In reply to MattDTC:

I don't think so.

I think roads are more damaging. I seriously think 2-3 years of 90-100 miles a week really banged me up.
 PATTISON Bill 08 Jul 2016
In reply to MattDTC:

Doesnt appear to of affected Jos Naylor who can still beat a lot of youngsters at 80.
MattDTC 08 Jul 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> I think roads are more damaging. I seriously think 2-3 years of 90-100 miles a week really banged me up.

This is kind of what I mean. Basically pummelling your knees, be it on the road, or thrashing down rough, rocky ground, damages your knees. The only cartilage damage I've had has been from overdoing it on long runs with lots of steep downhill. In the short term they always heal, but it must have a longer term effect as well.
The reason I bring it up is that I've met a few older folks (60's) in the hills recently, who say most the people their age who have been 'fell runners', now have knackered knees. Worried me somewhat since I'd like to spend many more years in the hills.
In reply to MattDTC:

Only if you do too much and over-use, over-train. beyond that it is all in the hands of your genes.
DC
 Simon Caldwell 08 Jul 2016
In reply to MattDTC:

Based on a sample size of 1 (me) if you do a lot of fell running you'll have stronger muscles to support your knees, preventing the cartilage getting damaged.

I've had dodgy knees most of my adult life. started fell running aged around 40. Apart from a minor blip when I needed surgery on my meniscus (likely damage caused before I started running), my knees have been far better since then (zero pain).
 robert-hutton 08 Jul 2016
In reply to MattDTC:

Been fell running now for 40 years, knees ok hoping to carry on for a few more, it's not the running tbat knackers the knees it's the amount of body weight thay have above that does the damage, keep the body weight down it pays off for the knees and the uphills
 steveriley 08 Jul 2016
In reply to MattDTC:

I've got a weird genetic conditions that give me sporadic joint pains. I get them far less often now I'm 90%+ offroad running, compared to when I ran more roads. It makes you stronger and does far more for your stability and coordinating muscles. It's a bit like comparing the functional strength you get from free weights with the linear, constrained actions of weights machines. I have no clue what my joint surfaces look like mind
 Roadrunner5 08 Jul 2016
In reply to MattDTC:

I don't think fell running is as bad, on the roads it's just hammering the same areas.

I actually felt at the time I was doing damage long term but was aiming for things which I wanted badly.

I'm now runing 70 a week but almost all on the trails and mountains and it's so much easier on my body.
 JayPee630 08 Jul 2016
In reply to MattDTC:

I think the running bad for your knees thing is often just an excuse people use not to run thb.

Although obviously if you run too much (or have biomechanical issues) you'll knacker them - and other things.

I'd be interested to see some research on this area. IME the people I know who have had lower limb joint issues tend to be those that have played impact sports rather than runners.
ceri 08 Jul 2016
In reply to MattDTC:
I agree with the suggestions that fell running strengthens your muscles and supports your knees. I had a meniscal tear from a fall (dog walking), not from fell running.
Post edited at 21:00
Moley 08 Jul 2016
In reply to MattDTC:

No idea, am in my 60s and have one very dodgy knee. I have a background of 25 years fell running, preceded by road running, preceded by other sports continuously from childhood.
Nothing can be proven other than I have trashed my body all my life without worrying about it. I would say fell running was many times less destructive on the joints than road running, but that is an arbitrary opinion with no science.

Do what you feel comfortable with, but bear in mind that if you try and conserve your knees this week, you may be run over by a bus next week........
 thedatastream 09 Jul 2016
In reply to MattDTC:

Most of my running injuries have come from running on tarmac or concrete. Fell running seems to spread the load across the entire body!
 Hyphin 09 Jul 2016
In reply to MattDTC:

Possibly, but sitting on the couch eating shit till you're twice your recommended weight will definitely do it.
Removed User 09 Jul 2016
In reply to MattDTC:

I stopped fell racing at 50. At the time it seemed to me that many older runners in my club were obsessive. Several were on the way to surgery for knee and hip damage. I still run on the fells for my own enjoyment and to keep fit. Maybe I'm just being cautious but my partner had a highly succesful hip replacement at age 55. Not racing and trailing along in the second half of a field is a different keep of freedom.
 Simon Caldwell 09 Jul 2016
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

I dream of trailing along in the second half of the field! Anything better than the 95th percentile is good for me...
Removed User 09 Jul 2016
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Centiles hadn't been invented in my day.
 Tom Valentine 10 Jul 2016
In reply to MattDTC:

Yes.
Same as running miles on tarmac in cheap shoes and bouldering with all its concomitant joint shocks before mats had been thought of.
 DancingOnRock 11 Jul 2016
In reply to MattDTC:

My understanding is it's all about landing on slightly bent knees.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...