Wild Camping - Hadrian's wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Does anyone know what the rules are about wild camping on Hadrian's wall?

I've read some things which suggest that parts are farmland which you can walk through, but which it's poor form to camp on.

I was thinking of one night at Sycamore Gap at some point next week, and would be setting up late and leaving early.

Is this likely to cause a problem?

Thanks
Steve
 mp3ferret 07 Jul 2016
In reply to I'd rather be climbing:

You'll not get away with camping at Sycamore Gap. Plus its practically a public toilet.

There may be some spots you could camp at - but there are a lot of very militant farmers live along the wall.

Marc
 beh 07 Jul 2016

For Sycamore Gap it'd have to be pretty late to get away with it, nearly always someone setting up to take the same photograph at all hours. Also, that section is all grazed farmland frequented by the farmer on his quad bike.

A bit further along and slightly off the wall but there's a bothy at Haughtongreen.

Glad I asked the question.

Thanks guys, will check out Haughtongreen.

Steve
 wintertree 07 Jul 2016

I'd camp south of the wall. About fifteen years ago there was a news story about a pack of wild / feral dogs attacking a heard of sheep north of the wall. I think the estimate was 50 feral beasts.
 Lankyman 07 Jul 2016

As you get near the gap you're in an area more intensively farmed then a little further east. If you have the 1:25000 map you'll see that there is more potential for staying out of sight in the Sewingshields Crags region just east of Housesteads Fort. It's moorland north of the Wall rather than hay meadows and so less likely to be patrolled by 'angry' farmers. Take a midge net - I was up there a couple of weeks ago and they came out when the breeze dropped.
 lordyosch 13 Aug 2016

I'm not long back from that walk. If you're camping, its easy there are loads of sites £5 per adult (kids free) almost everywhere in the western half. Wild camping would be trickier because of the proximity of farms and the road.

I've got a bit more detail on my blog, https://lordyosch.wordpress.com/2016/08/06/hadrians-wall-west/

Jay
marra 13 Aug 2016
In reply to lordyosch:

very informative, and some good ideas there, I especially like the onesie for sleeping and general tent wear
 Bulls Crack 14 Aug 2016

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...