Ben Nevis v scafell pike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Lorraine73 06 Jul 2016
Hi
Recently posted Ben Nevis v Snowdon and after successfully getting up and down Ben Nevis we now want to do scafell pike so have done the three highest peaks in the uk in a couple of months....not quite the official challenge of 24 hours I know but it's a personal challenge.

I'm getting mixed messages about scafell pike, as I've assumed and maybe stupidly, won't be as hard as Ben Nevis as 350m (approximately) lower. Can anyone offer advise on scafell pike compared to Ben Nevis (tourist path) and Snowdon (rhyd-ddu and down Snowdon ranger) and approximate time to get up and down, I realise everyone goes at different speeds, less/more breaks etc

Thanks
Gone for good 06 Jul 2016
In reply to Lorraine73:

Others with more local knowledge may tell you different but the 3 times I've been up Scafell, all from Wasdale Head, it has never taken me more than 2 hours. I'm not a speedster by any means.
Coming back down shouldn't take longer than 1 hour 45 minutes ish.
I don't have experience of the Ranger path on Snowdon so can't comment.
 Dan Arkle 06 Jul 2016
In reply to Lorraine73:

If you've done those others, then you should be fine with it. Navigation could be tricky at top if misty.

2-4hrs up, 1.5-2hrs down from Wasdale.
 toad 06 Jul 2016
In reply to Lorraine73:

As has been said before, the "official"24 hour challenge is just about the drive. You are doing them in a much better way, giving you chance to appreciate the mountains. It's a bit of a plod up from wasdale, but the view is stupendous, and you can take time to enjoy Wastwater or the pub afterwards as takes your fancy
In reply to Lorraine73:
I did the 3 peaks in a summer a few years ago and it allowed us to choose good routes on each of the mountains. Carn Mor Dearg & The Ben, Crib Goch & Pyg track, Corridor route & down Hollow Stones. Much better than the up & downs.
 broken spectre 06 Jul 2016
In reply to toad:

Just out of interest, how is the 3 peaks timed is it from summit to summit? (if so this would give you extra hours to play with)
 Dave the Rave 06 Jul 2016
In reply to Lorraine73:

We went from Seathwaite 20 years ago before it became so popular. A lot further to walk perhaps 10 miles there and back but easier access back to the m6. A compromise could be to get dropped at Seathwaite and descend to Wasdale. You are walking while the drivers are driving around to Wasdale. It's a fair jaunt in the car back to the m6 from Wasdale though.
Gone for good 06 Jul 2016
In reply to broken spectre:

> Just out of interest, how is the 3 peaks timed is it from summit to summit? (if so this would give you extra hours to play with)

Sea level to sea level and the 3 peaks in between . For us that meant the clock started at Caernarfon and finished at Loch Linnhe.
 Run_Ross_Run 06 Jul 2016
In reply to Lorraine73:

Of the 3 both me and the wife found scafell the easiest.
Nav would be harder than snowdon if it came in but i really enjoyed it.

Did it from the farm, seatoller i think it was.
Lorraine73 06 Jul 2016
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

Did you come back down the same way, or do a circular route? we are looking to start from seathwaite farm but are looking at a different route down and divert to great end.
Thanks
Lorraine73 06 Jul 2016
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

How tricky is Carn Mor Dearg? Disappointed views from Ben Nevis were non-existent due to mist/cloud so we are considering re-doing next year possibly later in year/summer, but my partner is not the best with heights and doesn't like ridges, even the little one on Rhyd-ddu! Doing Snowdon again as not done 3 of the main paths so will go up Watkins and down pyg, not a chance I can convince him to do crib goch unfortunately
 Mark Eddy 06 Jul 2016
In reply to Lorraine73:

Hi Lorraine,
Part of my work involves me guiding people up and down Scafell Pike (sometimes during 3 peaks events). I've done this for years now. Overall the feedback I hear from clients completing the 3 peaks is that Scafell Pike 'feels' harder than Ben Nevis. However, doing this as you are, as stand alone mountains, you will likely find Scafell Pike easier than the Ben.

Scafell Pike is very rocky (hence the name Pike), and this can lead to the knees taking a battering. If misty, which is quite normal, navigation becomes very challenging. You may find some useful reading on our blog: http://www.climb-scafell.co.uk/blog

Hope this is helpful and that you enjoy your time on Scafell Pike.

Mark
Clauso 06 Jul 2016
In reply to Mark Eddy:

> Scafell Pike is very rocky (hence the name Pike)

Sorry to contradict you, but 'Pike' actually signifies it's peculiar property of attracting aquatic life. Some attribute this to it's proximity to England's wettest location at Seathwaite. Note the 'Sea' prefix there.

Octopus found in Scafell Pike litter pick - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-23144255

Run_Ross_Run 06 Jul 2016
In reply to Lorraine73:

Hi.

Circular, came down corridor route ( I think it's called that). Cracking views . nav off the summit to the path was a bit sketchy with some mist but had GPS as backup.

Did the same route on the 3 peaks a few years back. Would do it again.
 Mike-W-99 06 Jul 2016
In reply to Lorraine73:

> How tricky is Carn Mor Dearg? Disappointed views from Ben Nevis were non-existent due to mist/cloud so we are
For a climber, an exposed walk with no difficulties. For a nervous partner I can see how they could have difficulty but its much easier and wider than Crib Goch.
 Mark Eddy 06 Jul 2016
In reply to Clauso:

Hi Darren,
Thanks for your reply.
I'm actually pals with Dave. Reading his article it is clear there is no mention of the Octopus arriving here under its own steam.
'Pike' is a pointed or rocky summit / place. Think 'Esk Pike, Pike O'Stickle, Pike O'Blisco, Side Pike as a few examples. These are not dissimilar to a 'Howe' except for them being higher on the fellside and often forming summits. Looking at the Scafells, Scafell Pike is named the 'Pike' due to the extensive rock formations on all sides, whereas Scafell has grassy slopes on some aspects, even though it is overall a far better place for the rock climber.

I hadn't linked the 'Sea' in Seathwaite to the sea before, but will look into that further, thanks.
csambrook 06 Jul 2016
In reply to Lorraine73:

> How tricky is Carn Mor Dearg? ... but my partner is not the best with heights and doesn't like ridges.

It's not tricky at all but you get photos which make you look really brave. (Just google it and you'll see the same shots over and over again).
I'm not especially great with heights and when I did it I was with others who really didn't like them but everyone coped. I remember there's a bit early on the ridge which feels a little bit scary as the path squeezes past a large boulder but in fact the slope at that point is shallow enough that even if you were to tumble (and there's no reason you would) you'd not fall out of control. Later on, when the sides are much steeper and where a fall over the edge would be dangerous the path is wider so you don't need to go near the edge. It's well worth doing and by far the best way up Ben Nevis if you have the time (other than climbing of course!).
Clauso 06 Jul 2016
In reply to Mark Eddy:

> I hadn't linked the 'Sea' in Seathwaite to the sea before, but will look into that further, thanks.

Hi Mark, many thanks for your considered reply.

I'm afraid that we'll have to agree to disagree re. the provenance of the term 'Pike', however, allow me to also submit that I have previously hiked to the summit of Esk Pike and encountered more than a few old trout.

As regards your investigations concerning Seathwaite; I'm sure that a man with a surname such as yours will be more than up to the task.
Post edited at 23:22
csambrook 07 Jul 2016
In reply to csambrook:

Just one more thought, my reply assumed you were talking about summer conditions. Winter would be very different.
In reply to Lorraine73:
I did it with two walkers who had found Crib Goch rather challenging but they felt that the Carn Mor Dearg arete was less so. We got dropped off at the golf club (Before the new car park) and came down the tourist route.
 graeme jackson 07 Jul 2016
In reply to Lorraine73:

> Did you come back down the same way, or do a circular route? we are looking to start from seathwaite farm but are looking at a different route down and divert to great end.

For a great circular route, head up to styhead then follow the corridor route - divert to lingmell summit on the way for the best views in the world. Once you've ticked the summit come back via great end and esk hause. The only common part of the walk will be from seathwaite to stockley bridge.

galpinos 07 Jul 2016
In reply to broken spectre:

Starts from when you set sail from Barmouth, finishes when you cross the finish line.

http://www.threepeaksyachtrace.co.uk/
 Simon Caldwell 07 Jul 2016
In reply to Lorraine73:

> How tricky is Carn Mor Dearg? Disappointed views from Ben Nevis were non-existent due to mist/cloud so we are considering re-doing next year possibly later in year/summer, but my partner is not the best with heights and doesn't like ridges, even the little one on Rhyd-ddu!

As others have said, it's easier than Crib Goch. But it's hugely more exposed than the tiny "ridge" on the Rhydd-ddu path! If your partner can't cope with that then I'd steer clear of CMD.

If you want a more interesting route than the tourist path but without too much exposure, I'm rather fond of the approach from the south. Park at the head of Glen Nevis, walk up by the water slide (there's a path of sorts), then follow the ridge to Carn Dearg, on up to the summit, and descend via the east ridge of the corrie. Worth saving for a good day as there's not much in the way of paths and navigation can be tricky in mist.
 tony 07 Jul 2016
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> If you want a more interesting route than the tourist path but without too much exposure, I'm rather fond of the approach from the south. Park at the head of Glen Nevis, walk up by the water slide (there's a path of sorts), then follow the ridge to Carn Dearg, on up to the summit, and descend via the east ridge of the corrie. Worth saving for a good day as there's not much in the way of paths and navigation can be tricky in mist.

The benefit of that route would be that you'd probably have it all to yourself, but on the other hand, it is much steeper than the usual route, which might be tough going for some.
In reply to tony:

Yes, we certainly had it to ourselves when we descended via Carn Dearg in the clag last winter. Got a few concerned looks as we headed down in the direction of 4 Finger Gully...
 DaveHK 07 Jul 2016

> Yes, we certainly had it to ourselves when we descended via Carn Dearg in the clag last winter. Got a few concerned looks as we headed down in the direction of 4 Finger Gully...

I'd be concerned too, there is no 4 finger gully on the Ben and Carn Dearg is pretty much the opposite direction from 5 finger gully.
In reply to DaveHK:

The other Carn Dearg
http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=215560&Y=770137&A=Y&Z=120

and, er, it was after a period of heavy snow and one of the fingers was completely banked out?
 DaveHK 07 Jul 2016

Fair enough, I'd never spotted that one. Thought you were maybe meaning No. 4.
In reply to DaveHK:

Not many people do, hence the lack of paths. It's mainly only sad Top-baggers who go there
Lorraine73 07 Jul 2016
In reply to csambrook:

Thank you, definitely going to look at doing Ben Nevis again but via this route next year
Lorraine73 07 Jul 2016
In reply to csambrook:

Definitely be summer not winter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...