Solo, onsight Bob Graham

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 02 Jul 2016
Any thoughts on the above? It won't be a true onsight as I've been on some bits before but I might give it a go in October without reccying any of the legs. I like the idea of doing it with minimal knowledge. I'd run solo but be met at road crossings with food etc. Having recently done Ramsay's Round I'm confident I'll be OK with the distance and height gain.

Are there any bits to really keep an eye on or any top tips for lines? I'm thinking that the routes in and out of Keswick probably require a bit of knowledge.

Actually, looking at the above it's turning into a beta flash rather than an onsight! Any and all advice welcome.
 bouldery bits 02 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Got a plan for Broad stand?

I think it could go. Good luck!
 Paul Robertson 02 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

I think its a great idea. You're not depending on a big support team, so you should be able to do it in the best conditions.
Figure out which bit you want to do in darkness, and where you can pick up water from the fell.
There's loads of beta on Bob Wightman's site.
OP DaveHK 02 Jul 2016
In reply to bouldery bits:

> Got a plan for Broad stand?

Shouldn't be an issue for a climber although it's a while since I was there. Thanks for the words of encouragement!

OP DaveHK 02 Jul 2016
In reply to Paul Robertson:

> I think its a great idea. You're not depending on a big support team, so you should be able to do it in the best conditions.

This is why it appeals.

Rick Graham 02 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

As a climber and alpinist, ( but no way a fell runner, I would add ) how about self contained?

Carry all your food, no need for a support party so a lot easier to organise.

Reduced daylight in October will not help, plan your start time with care, as ever a lot of help online.

Treat yourself to a hotel bed before and after!

You might not be able to join the BG club as their "rules " require some witnesses IIRC.
OP DaveHK 02 Jul 2016
In reply to Rick Graham:

The bag for a self contained round starts to get a bit heavy and a change of shoes and clothes is nice although neither of those things is a deal breaker. I was kind of just going with what worked on my Ramsay but you've planted a seed...
OP DaveHK 02 Jul 2016
In reply to Rick Graham:

> You might not be able to join the BG club as their "rules " require some witnesses IIRC.

That's right but I'm not fussed about that.

Rick Graham 02 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

I had the "self supported " discussion with fell runners 30 years ago.

They dismissed it as inappropriate explaining that fell running had a different culture and development to climbing.

Great if you managed it. Best work out a few plan B's.
OP DaveHK 02 Jul 2016
In reply to Rick Graham:

I just much prefer running alone on that kind of thing and genuinely don't think of it as harder although you get great kudos from some quarters for running solo.
 Phil1919 02 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

I think running that distance would be a lot harder solo. Especially if you're doing all the nav. Lots of people would do it solo otherwise.
 Phil1919 02 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

A good challenge though...........but harder!
 Jack 02 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Have a look at the fell runners forum. There are some accounts on there of solo rounds. Lords rake / west wall traverse instead of broadstand - if its wet, after 12ish hours on the go.

Good luck - a great way to do it.
 patrick_b 02 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Road support only should be fine - a pair of us did it with just road support a month or so ago. As mentioned you're much more flexible for choosing the best weather then.

It's the minimal knowledge bit that might be tricky if you're aiming for under 24h. Finding the right trods saves massive amounts of time, especially in the dark on leg 1 and some of the best lines on leg 3 (eg up towards Bowfell).
OP DaveHK 02 Jul 2016
In reply to patrick_b:

> It's the minimal knowledge bit that might be tricky if you're aiming for under 24h. Finding the right trods saves massive amounts of time, especially in the dark on leg 1 and some of the best lines on leg 3 (eg up towards Bowfell).

Think that's the kind of beta I'm looking for but maybe it's the sort of thing that can only be got with having been there. Barring disasters I think I'm quick enough to go sub24 in that style.

plyometrics 02 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Solo supported is how Ambleside's Ben Abdelnoor did it last year.

Superb and very honest write up here: https://www.inov-8.com/blog/ben-abdelnoor-running-under-the-radar/

Best of luck.
OP DaveHK 02 Jul 2016
In reply to plyometrics:

That's interesting and certainly honest.
 Tom Last 02 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveHK:
Go for it!
I tried it with a mate a couple of weeks back but he really wasn't ready and got really psyched out very early, with an eventual bail half way through the third leg.
My thinking is exactly as yours, that I'll go and solo it with road support in September.

Anyway, we had a GPS track for our night-time leg (Threlkeld-Dunmail Raise). This felt a bit like head pointing a classic route or something, but man did it eliminate the need to nav'. I actually recorded the track on a recce a few weeks previously, but since leg two is mostly pretty flat running once you're up on top, I think you could probably draw the track remotely on Memory Map or whatever (assume software will allow you to do that?) to a reasonable degree of usability.

**Edit** Sorry, I know you want to do it with minimal knowledge, so the previous doesn't help really. FWIW, on my recce I navved it in very poor vis' and it was fine, with just Stybarrow Dodd a little confusing.

I thought the nav' on the 1st leg seemed pretty straightforward too (but we had light!), with the possible exception of hitting the right point to start climbing Great Calva (you're looking for a 'sheep track' on the right hand side of a stream).

It's once you're up high on leg 3 that nav would start to get a bit crazy at night I reckon.

One top tip for Keswick is that the bridge is down still, so take the road to the south east corner of Fitz Park, rather than cutting through the ginnels - this will help avoid massive embarrassment!

Good luck!
Post edited at 23:49
 DJayB 03 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveHK:
I also did the BG couple weeks ago. I had done my own recces and did it with only a few people helping and it certainly helped on the day to not have too much to worry about, but a solo challenge sounds awesome.

Having said that on the days I went out to recce I was often on my own with no prior knowledge of the bit I was doing that day and I never managed to get lost, so I'm sure you could apply that to doing the whole thing in one go.

Depending on what time you end up starting I would pay particular attention to leg 2 if you do it at night. As others have said the ground underfoot is probably the easiset of the whole round but in the dark/clag/rain it can be easy to lose time. Some of the peaks lie off the main path, and a few are a bit nondescript.

Leg 3 if you can find the way up onto Bowfell that is very helpful. To get onto Scafell I ended up going Lords Rake + West Wall Traverse. Certainly better than Foxes Tarn IMO. Its also super atmospheric and although I'm sure Broadstand is easy didn't fancy it after 12 hours on the go and in the wet. Nav on leg 4 and 5 is pretty easy I reckon.

I reckon you should give it a go. If you don't try you'll never know...

EDIT: Also if you haven't seen it there is a great youtube video 'Bob Graham for flatlanders'. A video diary sort of thing about a solo unsupported round. Well worth a watch.
Post edited at 01:11
 Roadrunner5 03 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

I did my paddy Buckley in winter that way, well not insight at all, but solo, self supported. I did bag drops, 3 with food, but otherwise no actual outside help.

OP DaveHK 03 Jul 2016
In reply to Tom Last:
Thanks Tom, by minimal knowledge I just meant not reccying sections. I'm happy to take any other advice! I'd probably enter all the summits and any other useful points to my GPS. I did this for my CRR. Didn't really need it in the end but it was nice to have the option and watching the distance click down took my mind off other things.

Edit: just been looking at the UKH route cards for the BG, think they've got most of what I need.
Post edited at 08:14
In reply to DaveHK:

If you dropped supplies at the road crossing before hand and just picked them up on the way past this would negate the physical need for a team. Does that still count as unsupported/ self sufficient?
OP DaveHK 03 Jul 2016
In reply to Somerset swede basher:

I don't see much difference in difficulty between a bag drop and having support meet you. Both mean that you have a lighter bag than if truely unsupported.
 Roadrunner5 03 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

> I don't see much difference in difficulty between a bag drop and having support meet you. Both mean that you have a lighter bag than if truely unsupported.

Hugely different.

Mentally and time wise. But mentally just having someone to bounce doubts off, cheer you up at 2 am when you are by s road. Side feeling sick.
OP DaveHK 03 Jul 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:
> Hugely different.

Depends on the individual runner I'd say. But agree it's nice to see a friendly face.
Post edited at 11:39
 Rick Graham 03 Jul 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Having talked to a lot of BG completers, summer and winter, I agree.

Even the logistics of laying out your supply drops and picking up any spare clothes or rubbish.

The driving time alone from Keswick-Dunmail-Wasdale-Honister-Keswick (twice) has to be considered.

The double completers rationale for turning round at Yewbarrow was to only have one supporters trip needed to Wasdale.
 Rick Graham 03 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Even as fellow climbers, I would recommend sussing out the Broad Stand options.

In my prime I soloed up it in the wet, never again.

OP DaveHK 03 Jul 2016
In reply to Rick Graham:

> Even as fellow climbers, I would recommend sussing out the Broad Stand options.

> In my prime I soloed up it in the wet, never again.

Point taken, I've come down it a few times after routes on Scafell but in rock shoes in good conditions.
OP DaveHK 03 Jul 2016
In reply to Thread:
Does anyone know roughly what Foxes Tarn adds timewise? Also, saw someone referring to a climbers path to Foxes Tarn which meant less height loss, I'm assuming this just skirts the bottom of East Buttress?

Cheers for all the input so far.

Edit, found a good topo on Bob Wightman's site.
Post edited at 13:10
 Rick Graham 03 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

> Does anyone know roughly what Foxes Tarn adds timewise? Also, saw someone referring to a climbers path to Foxes Tarn which meant less height loss, I'm assuming this just skirts the bottom of East Buttress?

So did we when we went to do Ichabod the other year, totally cocked it up somehow and did some hard scrambling to sort it

Lords Rake and WWT worth sussing out as well.
Moley 03 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

I do like the idea of solo & unsupported rounds, nowadays the popular rounds do seem to be over "organised" and becoming a matter of ticking off the bucket list. I'm not trying to take anything away from those that complete them, but the sense of adventure for the runner seems to have gone. Maybe I'm talking bollox!
If solo, unseen, unsupported (whichever combination) I feel the time factor is not so relevant, "Did you do it under24hr"? Does it matter?

My only effort at a round (a line actually) came rather late in life and many years past my best - was a solo unsupported Leventons Line, which included lots of mistakes and was very slow, but I'm flippin proud I did it and mentally it's a lot harder to keep going without a team behind you. So I would give it a go, you are doing it for you, nobody else.
This was my short account.
http://www.highsports.co.uk/blog/leventons-line-solo-unsupported-run-by-mat...
 Roadrunner5 04 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

> Depends on the individual runner I'd say. But agree it's nice to see a friendly face.

Your call.

I ran for 25 hours around the paddy Buckley In winter, mostly in the dark, totally solo... Someone reported. Me to paddy, from paddy himself, to get my time wiped off as they say I. Started in the wrong spot.

Do what you want, write it down, let others decide...

I was seen wading through snow so thankfully a liars lies were ignored, there is actually no star location.
 bouldery bits 04 Jul 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

There are some right sad acts out there.
A very sorry tale.
OP DaveHK 04 Jul 2016
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Thanks for the Ramsay's training advice btw. Most helpful.
 GraB 04 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Ha - go for it Dave! Look up Neil Speight of HHR (don't know if you know him). He did it this way 3 or 4 years ago when he was down that way for a family holiday so could give you plenty of advice.

Personally, I think the BG has a lot more route choices to be made than the Ramsay. It'd be really worth doing as much homework on it as you can. Give me a shout and I'll give you as much info as I have.
 GraB 04 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

And I thought you were going to hang your running shoes up once you'd got the Ramsay out of the way??!
 GraB 04 Jul 2016
In reply to patrick_b:

I would definitely agree with Patrick and also with the advice about the Clough Head - Helvelynn leg (leg 2 going CW). Its very easy to underestimate this leg if you do it in the dark.

The trods are generally very helpful and quite often hard to find even when you're very close to them. The ones that spring to mind are the descent off Great Calva down to the Caldew, Bowfell and maybe the descent off Scafell down to Wasdale. Even the descent from Seat Sandal down to Dunmail Raise can be hard to find the start of. Especially if you do this in the dark.
OP DaveHK 04 Jul 2016
In reply to GraB:

Was expecting some gentle ribbing from you...

Still haven't decided whether to go for it in October with minimal experience of the route or save it for next summer, do some recces and go for a fast (for me) time.
 GraB 04 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Well if you decide to do some reccying I'd be happy to head down. I'd like to either do a winter round or try and improve my summer round time next year. But do do it. Its different from the RR but a really superb day out. And the history adds a lot IMO.
 vscott 04 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Go for it. A cache of food/dry socks at e.g. dunmail and maybe wasdale (if can be bothered driving round) maybe worthwhile. Route-wise, can clearly be very optimised with lots of reccying but (mostly) think not too difficult to take generally reasonable line (basically a trod in for much of it now) using e.g. Bob Wightman's good descriptions to supplement map. Only bit I've repeatedly found confusing is calf crag->high raise -> sergeant man -> thrunacar which in poor visibility is a bit featureless/lumpy and seemingly covered in not-quite-right paths - maybe just me.

Enjoy.
 Nutkey 04 Jul 2016
In reply to vscott:

Guy from our running club (who does sub-2:40 marathons) did a solo unsupported but with recces.

http://www.wartnaby.org/running/bgr/bgr_for_flatlanders.htm
In reply to DaveHK:

I would try it ASAP next spell of warmer weather using good daylight.
DC
OP DaveHK 04 Jul 2016
In reply to Dave Cumberland:

Not an option I'm afraid.
 ross 04 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Well done on the CRR!

Physically you'll have no problem with the BGR. I did it last year with a friend and road support. There are trods for the optimum lines.

There is no way my nav would be good enough to on sight the BGR. The start of leg 3 mentioned above for example visits several bumps barely discernable as higher than others nearb, whereas most of the nav on the CRR is easy. But you are likely better than me at nav and if you had a GPS track to help you ...

Good luck!!
 bibster1989 07 Jul 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

I know what you mean about rather do it solo. I tried it last summer and failed but my next attempt will be like this with road help but no on the leg support. It's a lot easier to organise and you can pick the weather and go for it. With broad stand as a keen climber and good fell runner I was going for the solo climb of it but when I actually got to it being 40 odd miles in by then and tired I just went around. But you may feel different. key is keep your options open!
 Michael Hood 07 Jul 2016
In reply to bibster1989: I did Broad Stand about a month ago. I was surprised how tricky it was. Coming down it would be easy but if you're going up then LR+WWT might be quicker unless you can be sure to do BS with no faffing.
 petegunn 07 Aug 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

Hi Dave
I completed my round on the 5th solo and unsupported ( until the final road section, where my misses ran with me back to Keswick).
I dropped a bag at each road crossing and had done all the legs but 3 (Dunmail - Wasdale). I do live near the lakes so had done most hills before.
I did carry a few extras as I was doing it solo, extra warm layers, bivi bag, phone, walkie-talkie.
The hardest part for me was the eating, constantly forcing food down, which is a must!
I had one dizzy spell before Bowfell and had to dig deep on the 4th leg towards Gable, and became a bit emotional once I knew I was going to finish (still had the last leg to go ) nearly crying whilst trying to breathe hard up Gable!
I had perfect weather apart from the start up skiddaw and a shower on Robinson.
Think I am gonna lose one toenail but all in all I am pretty well, feet a bit swollen and tight quads.
All the best for your attempt, strenght of mind and a strong stomach will get you round
Pete
 Dervey 07 Aug 2016
In reply to petegunn:

Good effort Pete!
OP DaveHK 10 Aug 2016
In reply to petegunn:

Nice one. I recognise that feeling like crying feeling!

I felt physically prepared for my RR but wasn't really prepared for the emotional impact which was entirely positive.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...