Hard shell recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Easty14 01 Jul 2016
Has anyone got any advice on a hard shell to buy, looking to use as main waterproof whilst working as an instructor, as well as personal use in Scottish winter, what are people using? Trying to find within the 250 to 300 range.
 Sutok 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Easty14:

Mountain Equipment Lhotse.

Excellent fit, strong, quite breathable (as much as anything made from gore tex can be) comfortable and ideal for climbing.

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/lhotse-jacket

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-features/best-waterproof-shell-jackets-re...

My only criticism is the pockets aren't huge but you can't have everything.

Favorite purchase in years.

All that said definitely go and try on anything you plan on purchasing before you pull the trigger as fits quite a personal thing.

Nordie_matt 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Easty14:
Have previously used norrøna and was very happy, i am intending on getting the Trollveggen in the autumn.

I would advise against the Montane alpine endurance. First off it isn't very durable, I am on my third replacement from montane after the taped seams started to come apart. The face material itself has picked up small holes across most of the back and there is extensive bobbling.

The hood is not the best, requiring that you use two hands to cinch it down (and it is fiddly with gloves).

Others may have had better experiences, but I wouldn't buy event or montane again after this jacket has been binned.

Hth, Matt
Post edited at 07:55
 hairy51 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Easty14:

Second the ME Lhotse, been very pleased with it so far! Did try on a fair few before buying it as the fits differs massively between brands.
 HeMa 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Easty14:

If you're a qualified instructor, then you should be able to get a pro-form on pretty much all manufacturers... which means that the budget is a lot bigger than what you pay retail for.

Still one of the best hardshells on the market is 'Ryx Alpha SV or the cheaper version AR. Still mighty spendy though.

But it also goes to say, that fit is important... and quite a few of the manufacturers have different fits (just like on climbing shoes). Since I don't have the dough, I settled for Millet Trigology (which I got a stellar deal) as far as hardshells go.
OP Easty14 01 Jul 2016
In reply to HeMa:

What is this pro form you speak of? am I missing a trick here?
OP Easty14 01 Jul 2016
In reply to Sutok:

Would you get a map in the chest pocket?
The jacket looks pretty good to be fair defiantly a top contender for my next purchase cheers
 HeMa 02 Jul 2016
In reply to Easty14:

> What is this pro form you speak of? am I missing a trick here?

Something like this...
http://www.arcteryx.com/pro-purchase.aspx?language=EN

As stated, quite a few of the companies will let guides and other professionals (SAR teams) buy their stuff at a reasonable discount thus gettin' them some visibility. Which is why I asked, if you're a qualified guide or not...
 mike123 02 Jul 2016
In reply to HeMa:

And this ...
http://www.patagonia.com/us/patagonia.go?assetid=47074
Even if you don't get pro deal patagucci stuff is almost always findable at sensible prices. I'm happy to be contradicted but also has by far the best guarante of any of the quality brands. No quibble fix or replacement of faults . Worth a lot I when you're really hammering your gear.
 mike123 02 Jul 2016
In reply to HeMa:

And this ...
http://www.patagonia.com/us/patagonia.go?assetid=47074
Even if you don't get pro deal patagucci stuff is almost always findable at sensible prices. I'm happy to be contradicted but also has by far the best guarante of any of the quality brands. No quibble fix or replacement of faults . Worth a lot I when you're really hammering your gear.
 leon 1 02 Jul 2016
In reply to Easty14: If youre working as an instructor and AMI you can get a deal with many companies just by giving your membership no.

Sutok 02 Jul 2016
In reply to Easty14:

Yeah you can fit a map in it. Chest pocket is pretty huge. Side pockets only just fit my gloves.
OP Easty14 04 Jul 2016
In reply to Sutok:

Cheers buddy,
after lots of reading the Lhotse looks like the best choice for me, good recommendation
OP Easty14 04 Jul 2016
In reply to Easty14:

Sorry for the confusion there guys I just realised it reads as if I am working in Scottish winter, I meant working on my SPA down south, and personal use in Scottish winter, certainly not mountain instructor level.. yet!!
 keepguessing 09 Jul 2016
In reply to Easty14:
Buy a softshell, montane, buffalo or make your own out of a fleece and a windjacket.
For a Scottish winter the montane jacket looks perfect but if you want a system more versatile a arc'teryx squamish jacket+a appropriate weight fleece.
Get the lightest waterproof u can get, decathlons quechua raincut would be fine and costs £6 or you can spend more and get something super light from patagonia or montane, you only need it for when the wind gets crazy strong.
Post edited at 14:00
 Dave the Rave 09 Jul 2016
In reply to Easty14:

Personally I would get one with a Velcro or press stud storm flap over the main zip. The coat becomes useless if the zip breaks on these modern designs.
 angry pirate 09 Jul 2016
In reply to Easty14:

I'd second (third?) the recommendations for ME. I've got a Shivling jacket that is ace for backpacking/shuffling along slowly in the rain all day after D of E groups but has a great helmet compatible hood. Pockets fit an OS map too.
Lots of deals at the mo on its big brother, the Tupilak, for sub 250 which is ideal for Scottish winter.
 tspoon1981 09 Jul 2016
In reply to Easty14:

The Mountain hardware Torsun jacket is currently on sportspursuit for £129. http://www.backcountry.com/mountain-hardwear-torsun-jacket-mens

It's worth a look
 connor 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Easty14:

Hi, I work in the Fort William area and around most of Scotland as well doing guiding and instructing work. I used to have an Arcteryx alpha sv, and actually found it pretty useless, it used to ice up inside in winter really bad! Since then I've got a couple of jottnar jackets, namely the belgamir and the Hymir smock, and never looked back. I've had them both over a year now and they are still going strong which is pretty impressive considering how much you have to wear a waterproof on the west coast!

StuDoig 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Easty14:

2 that I can recommend are Haglofs Roc Hard Jkt and ME Kongur MRT. Both have been bombproof, and lasted 3-4 years of heavy use / abuse. Pockets are cavernous on the ME jacket, and big enough on the Hard Roc. Both really well designed, but the haglofs is a slightly better technical cut.

One element of the Kongur I really like is storm flaps - much more durable than waterproof (hahahahaha) zips!

Other than those, I've also really like the ME Ogre; sadly no longer available though. Last jacket I could find that had no pit zips and a proper storm flap rather than "waterproof" zips backed by small internal flap.

I've not used it, but the Lhotse looks good - and I do really rate ME kit.

Cheers,

Stu
 alasdair19 11 Jul 2016
In reply to Easty14:

paramo! sweaty is besty. the new one makes u look less like a bag of spuds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...