costs of walking Pyrenean Haute Route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
frankboase 18 Jun 2016

We are living in the Philippines and not wealthy but would like to walk Pyrenean Haute Route.What may the cost be, assuming a middle range, and a low range for 2 people?
Also when is the best month to do this
Post edited at 05:35
 Only a hill 18 Jun 2016
In reply to frankboase:

As luck would have it, I'm in the process of planning a HRP section hike (starting mid next month).

I recommend the Joosten book, published by Cicerone. Apparently the book has its quirks and is not 100% accurate, but I've found it very helpful for planning. The trekking season in the Pyrenees is, broadly, July to September – outside those months snow appears to be a much bigger issue.

Your main expense is likely to be travel from the Philippines. Once actually on the HRP it seems possible to live very frugally if you want to, although if you stay and eat in refuges all the time then costs will add up. Wild camping is the cheap way to do it!
 indigo 19 Jun 2016
In reply to frankboase:

I did the HRP with my partner in 2014. It was brilliant. We started on 28 June and finished 14 August. Not fast by any means. We had 8 rest / bad weather days. We decided to always take the best accomodation available to ease the pain. A lot of time this is mountain huts which are relatively expensive but we also wild camped too. We budgeted €100 per night per couple for a bed and meal in the huts. Many huts offer affiliated discounts if you are a BMC or other club member and this is a worthwhile saving. In total we spent about £4000 which is probably towards the top end but that's the way we chose to do it. We stayed in some nice hotels in the villages to re-charge. Equally we met a wonderful young lad who was living off cous cous and sleeping under a tarp. He was also using food which people leave in the huts so he was spending next to nothing (and losing weight). Travel light, really light. We were about 9kg each all in. Most people seem to leave end June into July. September is probably the end of the season. We needed an axe and crampons for short sections but this depends on the year. Its a wonderful trip. Enjoy. Mike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...