Online food hygiene certificate level 2- recommendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 16 Jun 2016

Has anybody any recommendations for an online provider for the level 2 certificate?

Many thanks.

Tim
 Dax H 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Timmd:

I use a company called high speed training for 's few different courses.
Never has any problems.
 Richard Wilson 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Yeh, Dont.

Go on a real course.

Yanis Nayu 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Timmd:

Look for one accredited by the CIEH or RSPH. If you need it to simply make a few sandwiches as a volunteer or similar I think online would be fine. However, if you are opening your own restaurant, go on a course where you can ask questions and learn from others.

If you have an questions feel free to pm me.
womblingfree 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Timmd:

I did mine online in a few hours as a tickbox H&S contractual neccessity. It's not rocket science, especially if you've worked in catering or like cooking and eating
 Pete Houghton 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Richard Wilson:

You need to renew your cert every three years. I've been to one in person, ever, and clicked through the renewal process online ever since.

The idea of sitting through a presentation explaining why washing your hands might be a good idea and why it is important to rotate stock on a first-in, first-out basis, is similar to someone explaining to you how to use your belay device every time you go climbing.

That said: OP, if it is your first time, go to one in person, if you are renewing, I've used "Virtual College" (I think it is called). No complaints.
OP Timmd 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Pete Houghton:
It's to help in getting waiting and cafe assistant work, rather than 'managing' food as such, though I can see how there'd be some of that in cafe work.

It just seemed like a good idea really.
Post edited at 23:03
 DoctorYoghourt 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Timmd:

An online certificate might look good on your cv, but anyone interviewing you who takes food safety seriously will probably want to ask you a few questions to see how much you really know about the subject. I certainly would. I'm a bit sceptical about food safety qualifications, anyway, despite the fact that I hold a level 4 qualification. There was a survey done recently that involved testing the knowledge of people who had done a level 2 in food safety. Two weeks after their passing the course many of them would have failed the test. And most chefs that I've worked with who have a level 2 or 3 certificate absolutely ought not to be handling food!
 Dax H 17 Jun 2016
In reply to DoctorYoghourt:
> There was a survey done recently that involved testing the knowledge of people who had done a level 2 in food safety. Two weeks after their passing the course many of them would have failed the test. And most chefs that I've worked with who have a level 2 or 3 certificate absolutely ought not to be handling food!

Unfortunately this seems to be the case with a lot of course's.
On my last confined space escape course there were guys their who are qualified as a top man and potentially responsible for saving the life of the person in the space who genuinely didn't have a clue what they were doing but the instructor daddied them through the exam and practical assessment.

In my opinion part of the problem is the customer's. One of my customers pulled all their training from one supplier because too many of their people were failing various safety related courses.
The training provider lost thousands of courses per year because of that.
I send myself and all my guys there now though because I know you have to actually learn the material rather than get a free pass and if it is me that is in a confined space or a zoned area I want to know that the guys I am working with understand the ramifications of the job.

All that said I do use online asbestos awareness training.
Every 3 years we all go to a training center but we do an online refresher every year. We don't come in to contact with asbestos during our work but I still provide the training to recognise where it might be etc just in case.
Post edited at 06:53
 Richard Wilson 17 Jun 2016
In reply to Pete Houghton:

Sounds like a sensible approach.

Richard Wilson 17 Jun 2016
In reply to Dax H:

Thats how I would feel about it too.

Same as MOT's.

I dont want an easy pass.

I want to know its safe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...