Coolest climbing film for a non-climber to understand?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chris687 16 Jun 2016
So I'm giving a talk on climbing soon and need a short clip (3min-ish) to get people interested.
I love the old video of Johnny Dawes climbing the Quarryman route but I don't know if non-climbers will "get it" so maybe something more modern and exciting.

Does anyone know something to fit the bill?
 jezb1 16 Jun 2016
In reply to chris687:

Johnny and Paul climbing on the rainbow slab. Moving
 GridNorth 16 Jun 2016
In reply to chris687:

I thought Vertical Limit was the benchmark for this sort of thing. I don't know how to do a tongue in cheek icon

Al
 d_b 16 Jun 2016
In reply to GridNorth:

It taught me everything I know.
 FactorXXX 16 Jun 2016
In reply to chris687

The Jean-Minh Trinh-Thieu fall of Gaia is quite exciting and pretty much sums up the basics of trad climbing.
 Shani 16 Jun 2016
In reply to chris687:

Total Control - specifically the bit where Jimmy pulls over the roof of Silly Arete.
 GridNorth 16 Jun 2016
In reply to chris687:

I wish there was a better quality version of Rock Athlete available, I thought that was quite good but it's very poor quality on my modern TV.

Al
OP chris687 16 Jun 2016
In reply to chris687:

Cheers all
 SenzuBean 16 Jun 2016
In reply to chris687:

I really enjoyed this one - Jorg Verhoeven's ascent of the Nose. It's such a great little film, and his sheer enjoyment is infectious:
youtube.com/watch?v=VapbvTq8GOE&

Sadly it's 25 minutes. 15 minutes in is a good section, love the line where he's talking to himself "dude dude what are you doing, you're messing up".
In reply to chris687:

the BigUp / Dosage films are pretty flash and bite-size - Sharma on Dreamcatcher, or First Round First Minute (or Witness the Fitness if bouldering is acceptable).
OP chris687 16 Jun 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

Yeah that's great! Sadly the length means that I'd have to use clips which are generally a bit heavy with climber language (or swearing) which doesn't help.
Cheers
 Greasy Prusiks 16 Jun 2016
In reply to chris687:

I'll have more of a think but Alex honnold soloing a big wall tends to grab peoples attention.
 Durbs 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Is it Life on Hold that has the very tense opening scene without music of someone getting run-out on a beautiful arete somewhere... Or Committed? Or OnSight... hmmm.

That's good though.
 HosteDenis 16 Jun 2016
In reply to chris687:

I seriously think the best one is Valley Uprising!

Took my parents, the girlfriend (now ex, i climb too much) and a friend to the premiere on the big screen and they all loved it even though they don't climb!
 Tony the Blade 16 Jun 2016
In reply to chris687:

There can only be one choice: youtube.com/watch?v=OX7p3jfr0mA&

Alternatively, Stone Monkey by Johnny Dawes
In reply to chris687:
A film I used to really like was The Naked Edge in Colorado but I can't find it on the net - however in the search I did find a 3min 56sec short of that climb. Here it is vimeo.com/104457683
You could trim off the ethereal bits at the start & the credits at the end and get quite a stunning bit of film.
Just found out it was actually called Break on Through but not yet traced its current availability.
 Trangia 16 Jun 2016
In reply to chris687:

Valley Uprising
 deacondeacon 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Shani:
Is there anywhere to view that online? Not getting much luck with Google.
 keith sanders 16 Jun 2016
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

What a stunning opening film of a fantastic route,on a brilliant crag, we camped in the guy's garden in Boulder for 4 nights who had done the route 20+ times.
 SenzuBean 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Tony the Blade:

> There can only be one choice: youtube.com/watch?v=OX7p3jfr0mA&

I remember watching that ages ago and feeling sick to my stomach. Weirdly now (with much more climbing experience) - it doesn't look as dangerous and looks almost doable...

GridNorth 16 Jun 2016

Absolutely because climbing is all about speed, soloing, adrenaline and publicity seeking. ???

Al
Post edited at 19:01
 bouldery bits 16 Jun 2016

> Alternatively, Stone Monkey by Johnny Dawes

That's not been on here for a while. Fab

In other news I would recommend youtube.com/watch?v=qeVzZDbg3eY&

SenzuBean 16 Jun 2016
In reply to chris687:

What about this one:
youtube.com/watch?v=fSEDc-iUZsY&
In reply to GridNorth:

> Absolutely because climbing is all about speed, soloing, adrenaline and publicity seeking. ???

> Al

No Al, it's all about the irony. This clip post posted to death a few years ago.
 GridNorth 16 Jun 2016
Point taken, but irony does not travel well on a forum and doesn't help the OP

Al
Post edited at 19:25
 bouldery bits 16 Jun 2016
In reply to GridNorth:

> Point taken, but irony does not travel well on a forum and doesn't help the OP

> Al

You've not been here long have you?
In reply to GridNorth:

> Point taken, but irony does not travel well on a forum and doesn't help the OP

> Al

That's why I also included another option (Stone Monkey)

Perhaps I should have inserted a smiley/winkey

GridNorth 16 Jun 2016
I think my humour gene went dormant whilst I got involved in posts about the EU referendum.
Post edited at 20:37
 aln 16 Jun 2016
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

I loved that wee moment of climbing psychedelia but I don't think it'd do much for the OP's target audience.
 Mike-W-99 16 Jun 2016
In reply to chris687:

Dave MacLeod's E11? Non climbers like to see falls and there is plenty of that in it.
 jon_gill1 16 Jun 2016
In reply to chris687:

Hi Chris, what about one of the hand picked series that are on the video section of here.nice and short and well filmed. Think they are the marmot ones, filmed by Ian burton.

Cheers
 BrendanO 17 Jun 2016
In reply to chris687:

I've always liked Hot Aches' "Fools With Tools" - drytooling, 10 min, and extremely charming, enjoyed by non-climbing friends. Maybe you want climbing climbing though?

Used to have a children's edit too, P4-P6 kids enjoyed it.
 colin8ll 17 Jun 2016
In reply to chris687:

I would go for the clip of Didier Berthod's final attempt at cobra crack from First Ascent. It looks nails hard, he nearly does it then takes a huge whipper... but it's the whoops from all the spectators that sums climbing up for me - that it's more about the process than the goal.
 Shani 17 Jun 2016
In reply to deacondeacon:

> Is there anywhere to view that online? Not getting much luck with Google.

I have had a look around but can't find anything.
 deacondeacon 17 Jun 2016
In reply to Shani:
Cheers for looking
 olliehales 17 Jun 2016
In reply to chris687:

Cliffhanger
OP chris687 17 Jun 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

Awesome, that's just what I was looking for. Thanks
 Big Ger 18 Jun 2016
In reply to chris687:
If it's for non climbers I'd use a clip of someone doing some easy trad. To show them people at the cutting edge dynoing for a dimple 3000 ft above the valley floor may put them off.

Possibly a range of clips of bouldering, trad, sport?
Post edited at 00:19
 Fraser 18 Jun 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

> I really enjoyed this one - Jorg Verhoeven's ascent of the Nose. It's such a great little film, and his sheer enjoyment is infectious:

I've not seen that before, thanks for posting!
 summo 18 Jun 2016
In reply to Big Ger:

> If it's for non climbers I'd use a clip of someone doing some easy trad. To show them people at the cutting edge dynoing for a dimple 3000 ft above the valley floor may put them off.
> Possibly a range of clips of bouldering, trad, sport?

would agree, you should show that you can enjoy climbing with no previous experience on a top rope at stanage, just as much as some athlete at malham. Match your climbers film to your audience. Some BMC PR film, old footage from the The Edge?

Or scare the life out them, encouraging more people to climb will only add to the crowds and polish.
Removed User 18 Jun 2016
In reply to chris687:

3mins - I reckon the preview to Asgard Project really gets people excited and ticks multiple boxes for adventure and how climbing is part of a bigger picture...

malk 18 Jun 2016
In reply to chris687:

does it have to be modern? how about some commentary with the vid?
eg this one covers a lot- with some humour.. youtube.com/watch?v=AAm10A3QFBo&
 PaulTanton 18 Jun 2016
In reply to chris687:
Keep it local. The opening sequance of On Sight

PaulTanton 18 Jun 2016
In reply to chris687:
Keep it local. The opening sequance of On Sight

In reply to olliehales:

> Cliffhanger

This^^^^^^

Sly Stalone wishing he was Wolfgang

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...