Expedition food - two man packs?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
cb294 16 Jun 2016
As per title, are there any companies that sell freeze dried meals serving two persons per unit? The major producers (e.g. Mountain House) don´t seem to make them anymore.

CB
 bensilvestre 16 Jun 2016
In reply to cb294:

Mountain house make small and large sizes, ive deffo found large big enough for two on alpine routes, no way i could eat a full one with a shrunk stomach. Having said that on a recent route we shared two between three which was closer to the mark
 ebdon 16 Jun 2016
In reply to
I think for some reason they have started marketing what used to be packs with two portions as one portion without changing whats inside (this definitely applies to backpackers pantry ones) look at the weight and calorific values to spot them. I always found sharing a big one would be be enough but I'd still be a bit hungry whearas I'd be stuffed after one for myself
cb294 16 Jun 2016
In reply to bensilvestre:

That is the plan!

CB
cb294 16 Jun 2016
In reply to ebdon:

Thanks, that confirms my suspicion, always thought that the old two meal packages also had about 200g dry weight.

CB
cb294 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Thanks!

CB
 Indy 16 Jun 2016
In reply to cb294:
The major producers (e.g. Mountain House) don´t seem to make them anymore.

Mountain House in the UK have realised that they can sell a 1 person portion for the price of a 2 hence they've discontinued the 2. Still available if you look online.
Rigid Raider 16 Jun 2016
In reply to cb294:

Waaay back in the 90s I was a joint leader on a two week walk across Knoydart and the two-man ration packs were provided by Raven. Dunno if they even exist now.

Everybody's poo turned flouro green on the first morning.
 galpinos 16 Jun 2016
In reply to cb294:

I bought a Mountain Hopuse big meal (for two) a few weeks sgo for the Highlander Mountain Marathon?

Big Pack:

http://www.mountainhouse.eu/mountain-house-spaghetti-bolognaise-big-pack

Standard Pack:

http://www.mountainhouse.eu/mountain-house-spaghetti-bolognaise
cb294 16 Jun 2016
In reply to all:

Thanks again, confirmed my suspicions,

CB
 Dell 16 Jun 2016
In reply to cb294:

Expensive though at £7.50, could you not knock something similar up using a packet of beanfeast and one of those instant pasta packets?
 ebdon 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Dell:

you could but it would take 3X as long to cook and the calorific value would be rubbish. If you want to go cheep a friend just bought a dehydrate of fleabay and is experimenting making his own - it seems to work quite well but is a fair bit of effort and you also need to make your own insulating pouches to cook it in.
cb294 16 Jun 2016
In reply to Dell:

I could even use the freeze drying setup in the lab to preserve any suitable home cooked meal. Too much hassle though, I rather spend the money. I also won't pay £7.50, Euro prices are significantly lower.

CB
 Simon Caldwell 17 Jun 2016
In reply to cb294:

It's relatively easy to dehydrate your own, but without access to a freeze drier the result will be heavier and more bulky than bought ones. And of course you need somewhere to transport and cook it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...