Italian stove espresso maker

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goldmember 09 Jun 2016
Taken delivery of my 3 cup espresso maker. Super psyched to give it a whirl.
What ratio of coffee to water should I use? There aren’t any markers inside.
 Jimbo C 09 Jun 2016
In reply to goldmember:

Is this the 2 part stove top type (a.k.a. mokka pot)? If so, fill the part for coffee to the top and pack down slightly. Fill the water container to just below the blow off valve (if it has one, otherwise about 3/4 full).
 nniff 09 Jun 2016
In reply to goldmember:

What he said - some advocate moistening the coffee. Don't try and do half measures - you need the coffee container to be full, else the water will take the line of least resistance and you'll get a watery brew.
 MeMeMe 09 Jun 2016
In reply to goldmember:

It depends on the coffee and how you like your coffee!

I don't usually fill with coffee to the top, I put two measured spoonfuls in and then smooth it down. You can still get decent coffee with not a lot of coffee in the filter bit (as I've found when I am running out of coffee...).

And like someone else said, fill to just below the blow off valve.
I've seen people fill with boiling water but it makes it a right pain to then screw the top on so personally I just fill with cold, it only takes a few minutes to boil anyhow.
 Sharp 10 Jun 2016
In reply to goldmember:

Agree with mememe although it's probably personal preference. I always used to pack it tight and tamp down (that's what everyone told me to do). In the instructions on my bialetti mocha express it says not to tamp. I tend to buy the strongest coffee I can and then put two spoonfulls in and it ends up coming out like a normal strong coffee but means I get twice as many coffee's out of a bag as if I use a strongish blend and tamp down. I always used boiling water too, just hold the bottom with a tea towel. I'm not sure if this is correct or not but my thoughts are getting the water past the coffee quicker means less time to stew and a less bitter brew. For the same reason I always start to pour just before I hear the gurgle.

If you have an electric stove then put the pot back on the hot plate (with it turned off). The residual heat will dry out the coffee so when you come to empty it you have a nice dry puck of coffee that taps out in the bin and not a messy sludge. If you need to make two then just hold it under cold water till it's cool. Been using my pot like this for about 10 years and it's still going strong.

If you get along well with it or end up investing in a bigger one I'd suggest looking at the moka express, they're just the best.
OP goldmember 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Sharp:

Is it possible to get a Crema from the Moka pot?
 Morgan Woods 10 Jun 2016
In reply to goldmember:

just fill it up.
 Morgan Woods 10 Jun 2016
In reply to goldmember:

a) not really and
b) who cares when it tastes so good*

* assuming your beans are reasonably freshly ground (I do once a week....others do every shot)
 galpinos 10 Jun 2016
In reply to goldmember:

No. Bialetti have a couple of versions that contain valves giving a "crema like froth", the brikka and the mokka crem, but that's the best you'll get.
 Jim Fraser 10 Jun 2016
In reply to goldmember:

I use a Bialetti Mokka Express regularly. Usually, I am somewhere wild using a small alpine gas stove. When a bunch of folk have just dragged themselves across challenging terrain in poor conditions, being asked if they want expresso or americano is a significant morale booster and the arrival of the coffee a few minutes later even more so.
http://www.bialetti.com/coffee/stovetop/moka-express-c-1_7_22.html

As stated above, water to just below the valve. There is usually a faint level mark on the inside.

The coffee should fill the funnel. It is important that there is enough coffee so that when the hot water wets it and it expands slightly, the space is well packed. This prevents some of the heavier oils and unwanted particles from reaching the coffee collector. This approach should give you a better cup of coffee.
 Pedro50 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Jim Fraser:

I just don't like aluminium cookware. Have got a stainless steel look alike, make now unreadable
 HB1 10 Jun 2016
In reply to galpinos:

The Brikka does a reasonable crema. Mine came with a measuring pot.
 JMarkW 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Pedro50:

Agreed, generally steer clear of any aluminium cookware - now and again is fine I guess but every day? stainless is the way forward.

cheers
mark
 Andy Farnell 10 Jun 2016
In reply to goldmember: You should have gone down the Aeropress route. Far better than a stove top IMHO.

Andy F

Pete Houghton 10 Jun 2016
In reply to goldmember:

I like how the "likes" and "dislikes" are being distributed evenly by those who either do or don't know how to use their moka pot.

For the record - fill the coffee part with coffee, no half measures. Fill the bottom half up to just below the valve.

Anything else is, quite simply, wrong. Don't want to drink a full brew of coffee? Either keep the leftovers in the fridge and have a delicious iced coffee when you get home from work on a hot summer's day, or buy a smaller moka pot.

(Good Italian style iced coffee: put strong coffee, as much sugar as you need, some ice cubes, and half a teaspoon of egg white in a jam jar, put the lid on, shake like buggery. Pour into a small, chilled glass, it should look like Guinness)
 digby 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Pete Houghton:

The dislikes are from the person who wants the dislike button removed.

Apart from that I wouldn't tamp down the coffee if it is very strong or too finely ground. Trial and error on that.
OP goldmember 10 Jun 2016
In reply to andy farnell:

thanks Andy have one of these toys too. Love it
 Jim Fraser 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Pete Houghton:

Nothing goes to waste with me. It is either shared with the rest of the team or it goes in my lifeventure mug with some hot water and lasts the rest of the day. Recently, in the name of international relations, my leftovers were shared with some french commandos who seemed quite surprised to be served expresso by a RAF Regt Gunner in the middle of the woods. Per Ardua.
 Sharp 11 Jun 2016
In reply to goldmember:

> Is it possible to get a Crema from the Moka pot?

Aye the more you pack it the thicker crema you get but it dissipates when you pour it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...