Today at the Test

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hat Dude 09 Jun 2016
Situations Vacant

Wanted
One Opening Batsman
One Number Three Batsman

Apply to England Cricket Team
 GrahamD 09 Jun 2016
In reply to Hat Dude:

Nick Compton fluffed his lines, didn't he ? I think he's gone. Hayles is likely to hold on to his place a while - noone is knoking the door down for that spot.
 Chris the Tall 09 Jun 2016
In reply to Hat Dude:

Not sure about number 5 either
 Chris the Tall 09 Jun 2016
In reply to Hat Dude:

Hales hasn't done badly - 83 and 86 - but Compton has been very poor. Borthwick seems to be everyone favourite to replace him, especially as Ballance is woefully out of form at the moment
 GrahamD 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Hat Dude:

Game finely balanced at the moment. At least it would be if you can believe this SL team can maintain the pressure over the full game.
 Chris the Tall 10 Jun 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

If it's as humid in London as it is up north, reckon we'll see a lot of wickets today - England to make 330, bowl out for Sri Lanka for 220, might even lose 1 or 2 before the close

Bairstow's current form is impressive - 5 tons and 1000 runs already this year, averaging over 100
 ianstevens 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Hat Dude:

> Situations Vacant

> Wanted

> One Opening Batsman

> One Number Three Batsman

> Apply to England Cricket Team

I think Hales has done a decent job so far - two 80s in four innings isn't to bad, albeit against an average Sri Lankan attack. Who could/would replace him?

Agreed, Compton is a weak link and whilst a good county batsman just doesn't cut it at test level IMO. Who would you replace him with? Borthwick (added benefit of some p/t leg spin) or Buttler in as a keeper so Bairstow just needs to bat and bump everyone up one? (i.e. Cook, Hales, Root, Vince, Bairstow, Woakes/Stokes, Ali, Buttler, Broad, Jimmy). If needed I'm sure I can return to my cricket career having "retired" 8 years ago at the age of 17.

ben b 10 Jun 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

Apparently Compton has had the push already, in favour of Borthwick (according to the Grauniad, anyway). Either very poor by the ECB to leak that he's dropped mid-test, or very good as he might get another innings with absolutely no pressure this time. Who knows? Feeling somewhat sorry for Compton but he's had a good chance and fallen clearly short.

b
 ianstevens 10 Jun 2016
In reply to ben b:
> Apparently Compton has had the push already, in favour of Borthwick (according to the Grauniad, anyway). Either very poor by the ECB to leak that he's dropped mid-test, or very good as he might get another innings with absolutely no pressure this time. Who knows? Feeling somewhat sorry for Compton but he's had a good chance and fallen clearly short.

Very poor form from the ECB if that is the case - although it could be hopeful thinking on the part of the Guardian rather than a proper leak. Surely the selectors would at least wait until the end of the current test in case he has a big one in the second innings? I'm with you - I do feel sorry for him, but he's had his chance(s) and not really taken them bar the 100 in NZ.
Post edited at 11:42
OP Hat Dude 10 Jun 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

> Game finely balanced at the moment.

Decent start by England this morning, if we can get one of Stuart Broad's nice little cameo innings, there's a possibility of a good score.
 GrahamD 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Hat Dude:

Yes, very good, although I think I'd go for one of Malfoy's bowling cameos than batting cameos !
 tony 10 Jun 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

What chances a maiden test century for Woakes? He seems quite comfortable at the moment.
 Chris the Tall 10 Jun 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> England to make 330, bowl out for Sri Lanka for 220, might even lose 1 or 2 before the close

OK, so I was way out on the first prediction !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...