Advice needed for Alpine Biviing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Birks 03 Jun 2016
Hi,

Looking at occasionally biviing in the Alps this summer and having never done it in chilly situations before I was looking for some advice on sleeping mats.

Currently I have one of the self-inflating ones but will this be suitable as I always seem to see gnarly types carrying foam. Working on the basis that the my current one won't pop, is it worthwhile forking out for foam, especially as the foam ones are a fair bit bulkier than my one to carry?

Also if you recommend foam, any specific recommendations on which mats are good would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Luke
 d_b 03 Jun 2016
In reply to Birks:
Z rests are bulky but not too heavy and impossible to kill. Best of the closed cell foam mats I have tried by miles for me.

Really it is personal question as it always boils down to trading pack weight/size and tolerance for discomfort. I know some people who would probably be happy with a bin bag.
Post edited at 14:08
 Robert Durran 03 Jun 2016
In reply to Birks:

Just a piece of foam the size to slip down the back of your rucksack if you are carrying it on the route. Maybe a small foam mat rolled up if not.
 Mr. Lee 03 Jun 2016
In reply to Birks:

I'm tending to use a thermarest type mat more and more as they are very easy to patch. Plus I'm very bony so need to weigh the risks of using an inflatable mat against a not so good sleep. In the Alps I think I'd happily use an inflatable mat anywhere but on a climb. Worst case scenario I could use a couple of empty sacs as a poor substitute for the night in question and then sort a replacement or move to a hut the following day.
 Trangia 03 Jun 2016
In reply to Mr. Lee:

> I'm tending to use a thermarest type mat more and more as they are very easy to patch.

Can be tricky to locate a slow leak without access to a bath/trough. For that reason I prefer a foam karimat - if weight/bulk is a problem three quarter length works fine. You can pad your feet out with the rucksac.

anthonylewis 03 Jun 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Z-rest for me, if returning to the bivi site.
 Pbob 04 Jun 2016
In reply to Birks:

A bit of extra insulation under any mat can be gained by laying your rope out underneath. Particularly useful on rock/glacier ice.
 Merlin 04 Jun 2016
In reply to Birks:

I've used a 3/4 length thermarest in the alps, but would imagine a z-rest to be equally good.
 L.A. 04 Jun 2016
In reply to Birks:
Blacks or Millets often have full length, thinnish blue closed cell foam mats for about £5 in their sales
Voila !
http://www.blacks.co.uk/activities/103110-multi-mat-camper-mat.html
You can cut them down a bit and theyre well worth it for putting one under your Thermarest to stop it getting punctured or as the main mat when your inflatable mat goes pssss ! Also better for sitting around on in the campsite and at £5 nothing is really lost
Post edited at 14:48
In reply to L.A.:

But please take it down with you. Hopefully this should not need saying.
 Mark Haward 05 Jun 2016
In reply to Birks:

I've never had a problem with an inflatable mat as yet, but obviously clear loose gravel etc. away first. I use a 3/4 length when needing to go light and use rope under feet and rucksack for pillow. If on snow I sometimes use a full length and often take a very thin closed cell foam mat cut to size to add to insulation. A lot depends on the route, temperatures, number of nights out etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...