REVIEW: Overboard Waterproof Large Phone Case

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 02 Jun 2016
Overboard Waterproof Large Phone Case Review, 5 kbThe Overboard Waterproof Large Phone Case offers the possibility of carrying and using your phone on crags or mountains without risking it being dropped, and allows it to be kept free of climbing gear while still accessible for use. But is there room for improvement?

Read more
 rj_townsend 02 Jun 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

"Our 100% waterproof Slide Seal System™ combined with a transparent front and LENZFLEX back means you can browse, chat or snap away while your SMART Phone or Phablet device is safely sealed inside the waterproof pouch."

What the chuff is a phablet???
 99ster 02 Jun 2016
In reply to rj_townsend:

> What the chuff is a phablet???

A 'phablet' is marketing speak for one of those big smartphones (e.g. iPhone 6 plus) that's too big to be a phone, and too small to be a tablet - or half-way between a phone and a tablet: a 'phablet'.

galpinos 02 Jun 2016
In reply to 99ster:

I was sure it was a typo. I'd refuse to buy from a company that was comfortable using the word phablet......
In reply to galpinos:

I kinda agree it sounds a little daft but phablet is the correct term for referring to these devices. Just stick it in Google.
 guy127917 02 Jun 2016

I use the Alpkit one which is super light/non bulky and about a fiver. Also doesnt let you take photos though, but that is what the GoPro is for...

https://www.alpkit.com/products/aqua-wallit
 SteveM 02 Jun 2016

That's the first review which I have seen of a waterproof case that didn't test if it was waterproof or not.
 Chris the Tall 02 Jun 2016

Is it really a problem that the camera lens is covered ? Even a clear plastic case will still distort the photo, won't it ?
m0unt41n 02 Jun 2016

Or instead save the hassle and buy a dustproof & waterproof phone or tablet from Samsung or Sony
 Y Gribin 03 Jun 2016
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I wrecked an iPhone in one of those: they'll take a shower, but mine was sat in a Napoleon pocket which had a small puddle of water in it. The water slowly crept through the folds in the Ortlieb lid and wetted out the phone. Ever since, I've used this and found it entirely waterproof:
http://store.aquapac.net/product/waterproof-phone-case-small/

Adam15 04 Jun 2016

Better off with a proper phone case, I have a Lifeproof one which only cost £35 and it protects it from drops as well as water. Coped well with Scottish winter days...just the battery that suffers in the cold
In reply to Adam15:

> Better off with a proper phone case, I have a Lifeproof one which only cost £35 and it protects it from drops as well as water. Coped well with Scottish winter days...just the battery that suffers in the cold

How does that work with hands-free carrying though? The point of these cases is not so much to protect from battering, but to give you a hands-free option to carry and use while climbing.

Alan
 marsbar 04 Jun 2016
In reply to guy127917:

No good in or under water though.
 BnB 04 Jun 2016
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Err... Put it in your napoleon pocket, obvs Alan

I used one throughout last winter and it worked a treat. Living in the chest pocket means no drop off in battery performance either.
 pebbles 04 Jun 2016

what I want isn't so much waterproofness as drop or bend proof ness. I'v got a nice tough case at the moment which protects against knocks drops or bending, but what is sadly missing is somewhere I could attach a lanyard so I could take it up a route with me without fear of dropping it in the sea or the height of the crag. I'v seen ones you can get for iPhone, but nothing for other makes. All it would need is a little metal bit or tab with a hole!

In reply to BnB:

> Err... Put it in your napoleon pocket, obvs Alan

Err... And how is that hands-free when you take it out of the pocket?

As pebbles says, it is drop-proofness we are after here.

Alan
 Wft 05 Jun 2016
In reply to Y Gribin:

Have you actually dared take it under water?
 BnB 05 Jun 2016
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

> In reply to BnB:

> As pebbles says, it is drop-proofness we are after here.

I don't try to use my phone/camera except on a hands-free rest/ledge so, for me, the chest pocket is more than adequate with the additional benefit of keeping the battery warm. I can see the point in a lanyard however on a sunny day, but I hate straps around my neck. Different strokes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...