Cuillin ridge parking logistics

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveX 31 May 2016
Hello,
I'm off to Skye next week and hoping for a weather window for the Cuillin Ridge (planning to do it in one day). Logistically, we have one car with two of us in it, planning the South to North traverse so will be finishing at Sligachan campsite.
Was thinking of camping at Sligachan the night before, getting up at some unholy hour and driving to Glen Brittle, parking the car there somewhere, doing the ridge then sleeping back at Sligachan. Then hitching down to Glen Brittle to get the car the next morning.
So my question is:
Is there somewhere sensible to park in Glen Brittle where I'm not going to fall foul of some restrictions?
Is there some better way of doing this with only one car?
Open to other suggestions.
Cheers.

jimjimjim 31 May 2016
In reply to DaveX:
Sounds like you've got it sussed. It was a few years ago that I did it so may of changed but there's plenty of space at Glen brittle.
 Martin Bennett 31 May 2016
In reply to DaveX:

That's exactly what we did. Long time ago but I don't think even now there's a prob with a car at Glen Brittle overnight. A great day out that began, as we piled into my mate Bob's Renault 4 at four in the morning, with his radio playing The Beatles "Magical Mystery Tour" - most apposite!
 Pedro50 31 May 2016
In reply to DaveX:

We failed to hitch the following morning and rang for a taxi. Small price for a great trip. Enjoy
 routrax 31 May 2016
In reply to DaveX:

I've just got back from staying at Glenbrittle. You can park just outside the campsite, it does say no overnight parking, but there seemed to be loads of people doing it.

Not sure if you could pay to park in the campsite overnight, they seem very accommodating, so I would imagine it would be possible.

Cheers
Stephen
 Jamie B 31 May 2016
In reply to routrax:

> You can park just outside the campsite, it does say no overnight parking, but there seemed to be loads of people doing it.

Or park a short distance back along the road - the extra distance is miniscule compared to the effort involved in a traverse!

Alternatively get the early bus to Elgol and catch a boat into Coruisk - saves you a lot of effort on Garsbheinn!
 Andes 31 May 2016
In reply to DaveX:
We just did it three weeks ago and used a more unusual system, blagged from the SMC guidebook at the last minute. We were two with one car as well and were a bit worried about calling a taxi to come pick us up in Glen Brittle. We did the ridge north to south, but something similar should work if you want to do the ridge from the south.
We parked at the Fairy Pools at the head of Glen Brittle, just 5km north of the campsite. We walked north to the pass and then up into Fionn Coire to the foot of Bhasteir tooth. We left most of our kit here, skirted round Am Bhasteir on the north side, climbed Sgurr nan Gilean. Came back down the same way and started the traverse picking up our kit. When we finished at Glen Brittle I planned to hitch back to the car, while my wife kindly kept an eye on our packs.... Hitching wasn't really going very well and I was really looking forward to completing the fully ethical Cuillin Ridge circuit when a nice French lady picked me up about 2km short of the Fairy Pools.
When you look on the map it is not a whole lot longer from the Fairy Pools to Sgurr nan Gillean summit than it is from Sligachan. Anyway it worked for us and it was good fun.
Post edited at 21:05
 Jamie B 31 May 2016
In reply to Andes:

Or in reverse, with a bike stashed at the Fairy Pools...
 James Edwards 31 May 2016
In reply to Jamie B:

I have left a bike at the fairy pools a couple of times when going south to North when the clients arrived without a car. I used to put the clients on the track to the sligachan then jog over to the path to the fairy pools. I say jog as I have my rose tinted spectacles on. Once you get on the main path it is a breeze. The ground between the paths is reasonable.
There used to be a metal sign pole at the entrance to the fairy pools car park that I would chain my bike to, if this isn't there anymore it's a wooden fence.
Good luck.
James
 Mark Collins 01 Jun 2016
In reply to DaveX:

On Friday I ordered a taxi (Gus's) on the descent from Gillean to Sligachan to return me to Glen Brittle, perfect signal on EE.
OP DaveX 09 Jun 2016
In reply to DaveX:

Cheers all for the suggestions. In the end it worked more or less as planned; left the car in the middle of the night just down the road from Glenbrittle campsite but well off the road. Did the south to north route and the following morning a really friendly guy we were camped by at Sligachan campsite drive us down to get the car back. Saved me hitching!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...