WC Revo - New Belay Device

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mattck 26 May 2016
Sounds different...

http://i.imgur.com/X5CEvbV.jpg

"Say hello to the REVO, Wild Country's new belay device with
revolutionary safety and intuitive handling.

Continuing nearly 40 years of innovation in climbing gear manufacture which began with the legendary Friend camming device in 1977, Wild Country now bring the first ever bi-directional, auto-locking belay device.

No matter what orientation the rope is fed in, The Revo will pay out, lock and keep the rope aligned for smooth and precise operating. Add to that a patented inertia reel panic-proof locking fall arrest mechanism; The Revo stands out as the safest auto - belay device available."
 Juicymite86 26 May 2016
In reply to mattcooperkay:

Tested it at an event and its pretty good, pays out same as a normal tube belay device
 ianstevens 26 May 2016

Any idea how it works? Sounds a lot like a glorified seatbelt. Genuinely intrigued!
 Juicymite86 26 May 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

It looked like a wheel on a bearing with the two pointy bits pinching rope when it locked
 John Kelly 26 May 2016

Self belayer?
 Valkyrie1968 26 May 2016

When's the recall?
 SenzuBean 26 May 2016
In reply to littlejon86:

> Tested it at an event and its pretty good, pays out same as a normal tube belay device

How do you unlock it? Only with that little lever? Or does a jerk of the rope let it start paying out again?
 Outdoorista 26 May 2016
I tested the new REVO belay device at the product launch today. Not sure if the link will work but you can read my write up at wp.me/p5f31F-if or www.alpsoutdoorslife.com if you're interested
 BnB 27 May 2016
In reply to alp79:

Two questions: what is the weight and does it lock instantly or with soft catch?
 Outdoorista 27 May 2016
In reply to BnB:

It weighs about 245g.

Good question about the catch, actually none of the climbers or belayers talked about it yesterday which makes me think it wasn't an issue. If you're belaying normally the device doesn't need to lock, so the catch would be the same as with an ATC.
 AlanLittle 28 May 2016

Looks like there's a very sharp corner on the bit the opens to get the rope in. Thinking about the various early grigri recalls, I'd want to be very very sure there's no possible scenario where the rope can come anywhere near that.

Are the versions being shown final production or still prototypes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...