Western Mountaineering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Pandora 24 May 2016
Hi there! I was wondering if anyone has experience with Western Mountaineering sleeping bags. They seemto be, besides very expensive, top of the range, extremely light and brilliantly manufactured. Can someone who actually owns/owned one of their sleeping bags tell me a bit more about them? Thanks!
 SenzuBean 24 May 2016
In reply to Pandora:

As I understand it, they are indeed top of the range, extremely light and brilliantly manufactured - but, they're an American brand, and in the UK we have Phd who also top of the range, extremely light and brilliantly manufactured. I think most people here who go for the top-end custom sleeping bags end up with Phd, since they're local. Hope that's relevent even though it's not what you asked for
Pandora 24 May 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:
Thanks for your comment! It is very enlightening as I was completely unaware of Phd, I feel very ignorant now! I'll have a look. I agree, I'll always go for a local make as opposed to one coming from the other side of the Atlantic.
 SenzuBean 24 May 2016
In reply to Pandora:

Ah cool glad it helped
 Guy Hurst 24 May 2016
In reply to Pandora:

PHD sleeping bags are indeed expertly designed and very well made using the best materials. It was the first firm I considered when looking for a new winter bag, and I would probably have ended up getting one from them if I hadn't spotted an offer on a Western Mountaineering bag. I got that instead and I have to say the finish and detailing on the WM bag just seemed a bit better than on the PHD bag I have. There's not a lot in it and both are great bags, but the WM one edges it for me.
 JayPee630 25 May 2016
In reply to Pandora:

They're excellent, I have a WM bag (Summerlite I think), but as has been said I'd go for Phd now if I was buying again (bought my WM bag in the US where is was better value).
 sbc_10 25 May 2016
In reply to Pandora:

I have an WM Alpinlite and can confirm it is a great bag as mentioned in posts above. The reason I went for it instead of the PhD equivalent was that they do a range of lengths without too much of a price hike, and are quite roomy, which for me is a big bonus. Standard width bags feel like a BDSM session.....<alledgedly !!>.... and I usually have to go for a zip to make them comfortable through a wide range of temps. PhD are world beaters, but for me, after adding on all the additional features and size alterations, they are just a shade too expensive for an everyday bag. Have a look at this site.....
http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/sleeping-bags-c21/sleep...
Pandora 25 May 2016
In reply to JayPee630:

Many thanks for your message!
Pandora 25 May 2016
In reply to sbc_10:

This is very helpful, I'll check out the link you posted, thanks!
Pandora 25 May 2016
In reply to JayPee630:

Thanks for your feedback!
ultrabumbly 25 May 2016
In reply to Pandora:

I have products from both. All things being equal I would slightly favour PHD. What might swing it for me are price/VFM and whether I can wait for the item. PHD stuff takes around 3weeks-ish(currently, I assume it varies a little)from order to delivery if not from their limited, ready made range.
cb294 25 May 2016
In reply to Pandora:

Get your hands on the WM bags first, they look extremely well made but I did not like the feel of the shell material in the one I tried (too slippery), so ended up buying a different brand.

CB
Pandora 25 May 2016
In reply to ultrabumbly:

Western Mountaineering bags seem to be cheaper though. And some of them are lighter in the same warmth category if I'm not mistaken? I would prefer a local, UK manufacturer though, so PHD might be the final choice.
 Andrew Wilson 25 May 2016
In reply to Pandora:

I have an Alpin-light sleeping bag and a duvet jacket. Both brilliant quality. The bag is a wide cut to allow wearing a jacket if it's real cold. Really lightweight but surprisingly hard wearing so far.
The jacket is nice and simple and very warm for its weight.
Would recommend.
ultrabumbly 25 May 2016
In reply to Pandora:

I probably worded my reply a bit sloppily. On paper you might find that a WM product will be cheaper and in some cases lighter, and so if kitting to a "weight save/price" criteria they can come in slightly ahead in terms of value. That and being able to order them from a retailer was what made me purchase one bag that I later sold and another that I have kept. I was very happy with both.

In terms of comparing specs: I don't think PHD use the EN type of standardised ratings for any of their bags or other products (their down however is rated to the EU EN spec.) but my experience of a number of pieces of kit is that their quoted "typical operating range" is conservative and outperforms above what you might expect. If it is anything a bit unconventional like a halfbag then their descriptions of what you might be happy using it for (e.g. 'proper overnight good sleep' compared to bivvying til pre dawn start) are very reliable IME.

The PHD stuff I have got in recent years has all been 900 or 1000 FP stuff. This is the best you can get anywhere. And it leads to very, very, compressible kit as well as being light. In turn this might mean you can possibly drop down a pack size and save further weight if you look at pack-ability of all kit in addition to weight.

Be aware when trying to compare offerings from data sheets is that when you see WM specs the US measure of fill power is used. It is a different method but most testing shows that the WM kit uses down that exceeds its rating. Net effect is it is probably slightly inferior but perhaps not as much as you might think by just looking at the numbers and translating for the different standards.

If I was buying anything now my main thoughts would be is it warm enough, will it arrive in time, is it light enough, will it have a good resale value if it is for a specific trip. Both brands will meet these criteria extremely well. PHD comes in ahead on all the technical stuff, though some products can be purposefully minimalist, but you pay for that and have to wait for most things. If it was something I could see myself using until totally trashed it would swing me even more towards PHD even if the additional cost was significant. As well as being technically slightly superior the fact they are in the UK is great for repairs.

Also I'd not hesitate to pick up either brand's stuff 2nd hand if it suited requirements. They are both "premium enough" of a brand that they have likely been stored well and so on. Another good place to check is the bargain page on PHDs site. It's kind of hidden away but you can sometimes find something that is perfect and readily available from them. Also, the occasional special ranges that they do can also work out quite a bit cheaper in some cases.
 RR 25 May 2016
In reply to Pandora:
I have two different WM bags which are still good after 20 years of intense use (6 weeks per year at least) . One is the "Puma" if i remember well. The finishing and construction is extreme good , no snapping of zippers no cold spots, very versatile excellent down. Good for snow caving.
For light weight and extreme warmth I bought the most warm Valandre bag. Though N=2 so far i experiennced the WM bags are very good. In the US and Canada it is a very good brand. Go MEC in Canada, if they sell them.
Pandora 26 May 2016
In reply to cb294:

Good advice, thanks! I never actually held a WM bag until now.
Pandora 26 May 2016
In reply to RR:

Thank for this! I'd heard about MEC from a Canadian friend who absolutely recommends everything they make. Valandre is all new though, I'll check it out.
Pandora 26 May 2016
In reply to ultrabumbly:

Very helpful reply, thanks! I guess I never really thought of the resale value when buying a bag. Also, I wouldn't mind waiting for a bag to be tailor-made, I usually try and plan ahead. The location of the manufacturer is key when it comes to repair. I had an excellent experience with RAB cleaning and stuffing a bag I'd bought from them previously. Being a local company helped a lot. I agree with your point on buying 2nd hand.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...