What film did you last watch? Post a review.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 24 May 2016
Evening all,
just thought folk could post a review on what they have seen recently. In depth or a skim over, whatever suits :0)

Hunger Games.

I thought it was fairly slow at the start and in the middle, fairly predictable and then it seemed to quicken up at the end as though they were running out of time and had to squeeze everything in.
Overall, something to watch that I had on my radar for a while but happy to wait until it came on the TV. 7/10
 aln 24 May 2016
In reply to Denni:
I watched Spinal Tap again on Sunday. This time I watched it with a Heavy Metal fan who, amazingly, at the age of 45 had never seen it! She loved it and was happy to concede how close it was to the truth.

No review, sorry.
Post edited at 20:40
 Dave Garnett 24 May 2016
In reply to Denni:

I watched 'Richard III' last night. It featured Sherlock playing a mutant villain and seemed to be a prequel to Wrath of Khan showing his early years on some primitive planet, possibly Westeros. Plenty of fatal sibling rivalry, including someone improbably being drowned in ye olde wooden bucket (as well as being properly stabbed), and Wilko Johnson in a bit of contract child suffocation. Retributive magic from various aggrieved wives and mothers leads to Sherlock finally being killed in a field far too muddy ever to be turned into a car park. Except he's clearly not dead, like John Snow and he's beamed into a ship in orbit judging from the concluding reverse zoom satellite shot.

Jon Stewart 24 May 2016
In reply to Denni:

Think the last thing might have been The New Girlfriend by François Ozon. I've only seen In The House by him, which I thought was absolutely brilliant, but I was left a bit meh by this one. Reasonably good drama about a bloke whose wife dies and he starts dressing as a woman and then falls in love with the dead wife's best friend. If you like an Almodovar-style knowing melodrama, then this might appeal, but it doesn't have the crackling wit and razor edge of In The House. 6.5/10.
 BAdhoc 24 May 2016
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Southpaw,

Well shot, predictable storyline. Some good acting thrown in there but a couple of sketchy supporting actors.

Worth a watch if it's on.
Removed User 24 May 2016
In reply to Denni:

I watched Groundhog Day today. It is about a guy that has to repeat the same day over and over again, with the twist that he learns by his mistakes until he modifies each day in order to get to the end point, which is that he is a nicer person.
I watch this film every day.
It is my favourite film of all time.
 Bulls Crack 24 May 2016
In reply to Denni:

High Rise. A decent attempt at the book but I suspect it ay not be very coherent to those unfamiliar with Ballard's style. I'm told Ton Hiddleston has a nice arse i it....
 BnB 24 May 2016
In reply to Denni:

2001 A Space Odyssey

I'm on a mission to show my daughter (who includes Film Producer among her career ambitions) all the classics of cinema. Having recently scored a spectacular bullseye with Apocalypse Now, we sat down at the weekend to watch how they did scifi before computers, let alone CGI. It's wonderful to watch these "male" films with an inquisitive young adult woman and she was captivated by the craft of 2001. Let's face it, the plot is paper thin and and largely irrelevant to the painterly masterpiece that Kubrick lovingly drapes across the screen. HAL 9000 remains one of the most chilling psychopaths to haunt the cinema but the film is more about the art of film making than it is about the ascent of man.

My daughter loved the absence of a coherent ending. i was reared on confounding climaxes and I greatly enjoyed her willingness to be confused yet liberated to make her own interpretation.

Oh but the sets, the models, the vision, the utter confidence of the project. Astonishing stuff.
 graeme jackson 25 May 2016
In reply to Denni:

watched Cloud atlas the other night. Tom hanks plays a number of unconvincing characters in an unfathomable interpretation of an equally unfathomable book.
In reply to Denni:

I watched the Inbetweeners movie on sunday night . Seen it before. I love it. My kind of humour and the laughs consistently keep coming. Inbetweeners 2 is equally as good IMO. Caveat, if you don't like toilet humour and general , immature, crass rudeness then don't bother.
 Skyfall 25 May 2016
In reply to BnB:

> Oh but the sets, the models, the vision, the utter confidence of the project.

and Leonard Rossiter to boot !

hokkyokusei 25 May 2016
In reply to Denni:

I watched high rise. Class-angst fuelled mayhem in a 70s tower block. Loved it.
andymac 25 May 2016
In reply to Denni:
The Sweeney.

A few weeks back.

Ray Winstone giving the complete and utter apples and pears,you khant ,I'll put one in four fakin nut,Danny Dyer ,cockney,treatment.

Danny Dyer should really have been in this film.

Film was basic fairly formulaic cops and baddies fayre.no burly Cockney villains in Mk2 Jags with shottahs

On the plus side there was a sweet Ford Focus , and a tasty piece of Plod with great thruppney bits , who was inconceivably Giving Ray Winstone a seeing too.

Watchable.
Post edited at 18:22
Removed User 25 May 2016
In reply to Denni:

I watched Groundhog Day today. It is about a guy that has to repeat the same day over and over again, with the twist that he learns by his mistakes until he modifies each day in order to get to the end point, which is that he is a nicer person.
I watch this film every day.
It is my favourite film of all time.

Mike-W-99 25 May 2016
In reply to Denni:

X-men apocalypse. Mindless drivel but strangely watchable.
In reply to Denni:

Just watched 'A lonely place to die' - as lent to me by a friend because of the climbing connection, and the fact that it was filmed in the Highlands where he lives.

My friend had said its not okay/mediocre maybe, but I thought it was pretty good. Some amazing scenery, some silly climbing shots (cliff hanger esque), bit of a thriller, and a little dark and gory..... 4/5 !!
 Welsh Kate 25 May 2016
In reply to Denni:

The Right Stuff. Cross between Top Gun and Apollo 13.
In reply to Denni:
Not a great film watcher but saw 'Worlds Fastest Indian' with Anthony Hopkins on video. The story of an amateur motorbike rider overcoming big barriers and eventually making it big at Bonneville salt flats - a real story. It brings tears of joy every time I watch it.
 elliot.baker 25 May 2016
In reply to Denni:

I watched Deadpool - I actually chortled at times which I didn't expect, many of the jokes were cringy but I suppose the film makers knew that.

Overall - I'd recommend it for a laugh.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...