Softshell vs Tactel/ "Walking" trousers - summer alpine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neuromancer 24 May 2016
I have a pair of decathlon mountaineering trus, but being fleece backed they're toasty as anything and I run hot.

I wanted a pair of decent trousers for alpine rock routes, easy mountaineering (e.g. cosmiques), via ferrata and occasionally colder windier days sea-cliff climbing in the uk.

How do a pair of say, montane terras's or rab torques stand up against the "softshell" equivalent?

In terms of durability, warmth, shower-proofness, not getting wet feet if there's a little bit of snow?
In reply to neuromancer:

> How do a pair of say, montane terras's or rab torques stand up against the "softshell" equivalent?

Depends on what 'softshell' you're comparing against...

Simple, lightweight fabric trousers such as Supplex or Tactel obviously won't be as warm as lined or dual-weave softshell, or as wind and water-resistant as membraned softshell...

Most lightweight nylon fabrics can be proofed with after-market DWR, such as Nikwax. They usually come with a DWR treatment to start with. You then just need to wash them as with any DWR treated-fabric, in soap-based cleaner, rather than detergent.

If you're looking at the likes of Terras, and are happy with the Decathlon offerings, have a look at their Forclaz 500 trousers. For lighter softshell, try their Simond Alpinism Light. The Forclaz 500 Warm is more wind resistant than the Mountaineering Trousers.

Then there's the Simond Rock Pants or Cliff Pants:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rock-mens-trousers-id_8363054.html
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/cliff-mens-climbing-trousers-id_8331323.html

A more reasonable colour than last year's orange (which is still offered). I haven't seen either 'in the flesh' yet.
OP neuromancer 24 May 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:

I definitely don't want a membraned softshell - it's more dual weave softshell vs terra-style trousers.
 wbo 24 May 2016
In reply to neuromancer: I've got a few pairs of softshell and the Rab Torque are by the thinnest, flimsiest. I wouldn't consider them for alpinism in anything but the warmest conditions. Even then I'd rather use some Norrøna Fjørå instead.

Mark Haward 24 May 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

I have found Montane Terra perfect for summer alpine rock and mixed routes for me. Durable, warm enough most of the time, sufficiently water resistant. If it is very cold / an early start / spending a lot of time around 4,000 metres plus I may put on full length zipped over trousers but they come off very soon.
In reply to neuromancer:

> it's more dual weave softshell vs terra-style trousers.

Wind resistance for non-membraned fabrics comes from the weave density and fabric thickness. So, even though the Forclaz 900 Warm, Simond Mountaineering and Alpinism light are all dual weave fabrics, they have different wind resistances (more to less, in that order, above). It's a trade-off of wind resistance vs allowing moisture to escape by fabric permeability.

The non-softshell lightweight nylon fabrics are usually pretty closely woven, wind resistance can be gauged by the 'kiss test'; hold fabric to lips and blow. You can get a good relative feel. Obviously, wind resistance has an impact on warmth, but very thin fabrics will be blown flush against the body, eliminating the dead air space; stiffer, thicker soft shell fabrics hold their shape more, and thus protect the dead air space.

Tactel is pretty tough, IME. Supplex is a softer handle.

I do understand that I'm not being very helpful.. I'm not trying to be deliberately obtuse, just trying to say 'it depends'; on conditions, on personal preference & physiology, etc... And you know that...

I've long used simple closely-woven nylon trousers for mountain walking (but not alpine climbing; not my thing), with a base layer underneath if necessary. I'm only a recent convert to soft shell (due to being prepared to pay Decathlon prices rather than Schoeller prices...). The Forclaz 500 Warm were great in the Cairngorms in Feb. But then we had unseasonably sunny weather for four days...
In reply to captain paranoia:

Couldn't resist the temptation of the 'Rock Trousers'...

They're very snug around the bum and thighs, but a very stretchy fabric. With the flat-locked seams, they feel more like running tights...
In reply to neuromancer:

I have had a pair of marmot highlander softshell trousers for around a year and for scrambling the amount of stretch in them is more than enough and they are warm enough but not to hot at the sam time. They have reinforced knees and bum but the marmot scree pant is very similar but does not have any reinforcement. i got my marmot hghlander trouser from go outdoors for £45 when they sell for £90 normaly so what for a sale and by the way the highlander trousers have sinch courds around the ankle and there is reinforcement around the ankle to there a great piece of kit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...