Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Craftycarper 22 May 2016
Hi folks, just joined and would just like to say hello. I have been doing a lot of walking etc daily, between 5-8 miles a day to get my fitness levels up in doing so I have managed to drop from 15 & 1/2 stone to under 13 stone in a couple of months. Now I have a Snowden trip booked for the end of June and any advice would be welcome....
 Trangia 22 May 2016
In reply to Craftycarper:
Well done. 5 to 8 miles isn't bad, but I think you need to gradually build this up to about 10 to 12 miles a day.

What route do you intend to take up Snowdon? The technically easiest is the Llanberis path, but it's a long way with a lot of height gain. Try and concentrate on building up your stamina rather than looking at weight loss - that will follow anyway.

Good luck
Post edited at 03:49
 ben b 22 May 2016

Good on you fella, that's a fine effort on losing weight. Life's just a bit easier outdoors with less weight!
I'd suggest adding a rucksack. Doesn't need to be big or heavy (at least to begin with) but a good habit to get in to, and makes a big difference to hill fitness.

Best advice for getting hill fit is to get in to the hills failing that pretend to be in the hills!

b

OMR 22 May 2016

A huge part of getting hillfit is to remember that you love being in the hills. Many years ago I used to be miserable once I got tired and wonder what the hell I was doing there. Eventually I sussed myself out and was able to divorce how my body was feeling from the enjoyment I got out of being there. I still get tired some days and for parts of most days, but honestly enjoy ALL of every day - and just the fact of that enjoyment can make a huge difference to your performance.
So if you don't genuinely enjoy hill walking and being in the hills, forget it and think about taking out a gym membership (or some other sport), but if you do just remind yourself of that when you get tired. Sounds very aerie faerie, but it worked for me.
Oh, and to return a little ukc cynicism to this gushing nonsense... it's Snowdon, not Snowden.
Gone for good 22 May 2016
Well done on the weight loss. That's an impressive drop.
As for Snowdon. Just go and do it. The best easy way (in my opinion so dont flame me) is via the Pyg track. As mountain walks go it's moderate. A good path with some very mild scrambling. You shouldn't need to carry more than water,some hill food and wetproofs as well as map and compass so weight shouldn't be an issue. Most of all enjoy it...
Post edited at 10:12
 Greasy Prusiks 22 May 2016

Nice going, that's a big fitness gain in a short amount of time.

I'm not sure how experienced a hill walker you are but remember the basic stuff for your trip up Snowden. So warm clothes, a waterproof, walking boots, check the weather before you go ect. Apologies if I'm stating the obvious!
 jimjimjim 22 May 2016

I would think with that amount of walking every day you'll piss it. Maybe add a rucksack as people have said. Enjoy the burn!
In reply to jimjimjim:

Agreed - the amount of walking is fine - you just haven't said what conditions you are walking in - dry pavement walking in comfy trainers can be very different to hill walking with a sack and boots so get your kit sorted now and wear it to do some off-road walks.

Hill fitness can be difficult to get if you're in a flat area, and your profile says Essex, so I would be thinking about getting out to one of the wooded country parks - somewhere like Hornchurch, Hainault Forest, Thorndon etc - and doing some off-path walking through the woods so you have to work harder on looking for foot placements and taking weight with feet in different positions.
Moley 22 May 2016

Really well done on your advancement, further fitness will come quickly now, though you do need hills for hill fitness.
Good weight loss, just remember not too many pies whilst lounging in that bivvy waiting for the buzzers to sound during the summer months
 Rob Exile Ward 22 May 2016

It's a hill. Walk up it. (Obviously you'll have to get out from under your bridge first though.)
Craftycarper 22 May 2016
I've been walking daily through a country park,woodlands and fields, jumping trees, scrambling along fallen trees jumping streams with meindl boots in dry and boggy conditions sometimes with a back pack with a 3lb weight plus water etc and sometimes a few sharp runs added just for good measure. Also bought a rowing machine so if I don't get out I can jump on that and swimming a mile a visit to to the pool also. As for the weight I shed it at the end of January after having the old gall bladder removed due to a large stone forming, it was a drastic drop as I put my calories down to around 980 a day for a week, cut out all the crap and now on a healthy diet then built back up from there, feeling great at the moment, full of energy and light on me old feet and a spring in my step.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...