Wintour's Leap and Ban-y-Gor: camping and fires

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rick Sewards 17 May 2016

Hello

Please could I remind everyone not to camp or light fires at Wintour's Leap or Ban-y-Gor, or the surrounding woods. As some of you may know, both these crags are part of the same nature reserve, and are owned and managed by the Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust (GWT); they are also Sites of Special Scientific Interest. The GWT have been very supportive of climbing but their first priority is obviously conservation, and recently the Warden was less than impressed to find a large group of climbers camping, with a fire. I'm not trying to find out who they were, and I don't want the thread to go down that route - I just want everyone who climbs here to know that camping and lighting fires is not permitted in the Nature Reserve (this is pointed out in the Lower Wye Valley guidebook), and that if climbers are seen to be causing damage then it could put access at risk.

On a happier note, thanks for your continued cooperation in observing the nesting restriction for the peregrine falcons on the southern end of Fly Wall. There is now a temporary barrier and warning sign (which doesn't affect climbing in the unrestricted areas) above the nest site - this was not aimed at climbers.

Thanks

Rick Sewards
Wye Valley Access Rep

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...