Kinder Scout route from Edale side: want a challenge!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Gyro1970 17 May 2016

Hi, I'm looking to do Kinder Scout in a couple of weeks as part of my preparation for the Yorkshire Three Peaks in September. I want it to be as challenging as possible in terms of ascent, so wondered which was the best direction to go from the Edale side?

I like the sound of Jacobs Ladder, but from what I've read so far, the stepper ascent would seem to be anti clockwise( if that's right) , and therefore going down Jacobs Ladder after the summit.

Any advice and help truly welcome. I had a Wonderful time last week around Ladybower and the Derwent Edge, but want something a bit MORE uphill if possible.

Cheers,
G
Post edited at 19:54
 Coel Hellier 17 May 2016
In reply to Gyro1970:

> I want it to be as challenging as possible in terms of accent, so ...

Maybe try Glasgow, rather than the Peak district?
Gyro1970 17 May 2016
In reply to Coel Hellier:

Ha, you saw this before I edited my spellchecker....!
 Stig 17 May 2016
In reply to Gyro1970:
The ascents from Edale are all much of a muchness / unsurprising really as all routes lead to the edge of the plateau. Or are you really looking for steepness?

One of the most direct and reasonably steep is up Ringing Roger, gets a bit rough and scrambly. There's also a good steep path that breaks off from the main path along Grinds Brook after a small wood - heading directly to the edge about Edale village. In fact that's probably the steepest path up.

But probably better training to do a loop with lots of ascents: say Hollins Cross-Mam-rush up-kinder and part of the edge.
 DerwentDiluted 17 May 2016
In reply to Gyro1970:

Golden clough, I absolutely hate it, always seem to find myself going up it with 2 rucksacks in a hurry. Ideal training. It's straight up.
 ashtond6 18 May 2016
In reply to Gyro1970:
Up grinds brook
Along to the woolpacks
To the kinder summit
To kinder downfall
Across kinder gates
Down crowden (shorter but steeper)
Alternatively down Jacobs ladder

This gives a good big figure 8
Post edited at 08:03
 ByEek 18 May 2016
In reply to Gyro1970:

The Yorkshire Three Peaks isn't that onerous and is more about distance than ascent. So why not ascend Kinder and then traverse the plateau once you get there?
 tjdodd 18 May 2016
In reply to Gyro1970:

Do the full Edale skyline? Not much up and down but good for distance.
In reply to Gyro1970:
The full circuit of the Kinder plateau is about the same distance as the Three Peaks but less ascent.
In reply to Gyro1970:

Jagger's Clough or Grindsbrook are probably the steepest and less trodden routes up from the Edale side. Once up onto the plateau you can obviously take routes along the south edge of the plateau or head slightly north-easterly and tale the route circumnavigating the full plateau.

https://ruinapartum.wordpress.com/2014/01/05/edale-undulations-via-nether-b...
 Stig 18 May 2016
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Is it? I think the circuit is about 15 miles whereas 3P is 24 miles? Kinder Skyline would be closer in distance 21/22miles?
 Brass Nipples 18 May 2016
In reply to Gyro1970:

Ascend Grinds brook, head over to Fair Brook Nase, descend to Snake Inn. Lunch. Head up Gate Side clough. Locate the trig point to the east then Mad Woman's Stones. Swing round to Ringing Roger and descend. Enjoy a pint in Edale.

Lusk 18 May 2016
In reply to Gyro1970:

Knock this off and 3 Peaks will be a stroll in the ... Dales ...
https://www.ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/show_path.php?path_name=Kinder+Killer
Gyro1970 18 May 2016
In reply to Gyro1970:

Thanks everyone for your replies. I don't really know the area, so will digest all route suggestions so far!
 stevieb 18 May 2016
In reply to Gyro1970:

If you do the Edale Skyline the 'wrong way' you can make a walk which is almost as challenging as the Yorkshire three peaks.
Start by climbing Grindsbrook then turn east over Win Hill and down to Hope for breakfast/lunch.
Then climb up Lose Hill to Mam Tor.
From Mam Tor, if you want a third ascent, then drop down to Edale, and climb Kinder via Jacobs Ladder, then along the top and back down Grindsbrook.
Easier alternatives from Mam Tor are continue along Rushup Edge (can be boggy) to Kinder, or just drop down to Edale.
The full version is about 20 miles and has 3 decent ascents.
Gyro1970 27 May 2016
In reply to Gyro1970:

So I'm going to start from the road just above Winnats Pass, do Mam Tor and then drop down the other side into Edale. From there, go via Grinds Brook to Kinder and come back down Jacobs Ladder, cutting across to get back to the car near Blue John cavern.

Sounds alright?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...