Beginner Climbing Kit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
warren1989 16 May 2016
I'm getting into climbing just joined up wth my local club and looking at getting my own kit. Has anyone ever used or brought the singing rock Versa package? It comes with a harness belay carabiner chalk and chalk bag for £49 if not any recommendations would be great thanks
 Nordie_matt 16 May 2016
In reply to warren1989:

I haven't used singing rock harnesses for myself, but have used kids harnesses both at work and with my own kids. Decent enough kit.

My advice however would be not to buy a harness online or based on price only (if completely unfamiliar with the brand sizing etc). Get down to a quality independent gear shop and try on a variety, preferably getting to hang off a bolt in the shop (or something) whilst wearing it.

Comfort and safety tops bargain basement deals in my opinion.

Of course if you tried it and are happy, then jobs a good un
 zimpara 16 May 2016
In reply to warren1989:

Get yourself to Go outdoors

Buy a black diamond XP belay device- £12
Black diamond momentum harness £35
Mammut crag HMS £8

Red chilli suasalito shoes, £30

Job done and much better gear
warren1989 16 May 2016
In reply to zimpara:

Thank you for the reply and will do
 ChrisH89 17 May 2016
In reply to warren1989:

Best to try on as others have said, but Singing Rock kit is very good in my experience having used their helmets and ice tools.
 Wingnut 17 May 2016
In reply to warren1989:

While you're in gear shopping mode, remember that if you're climbing outside (and while the weather's this nice, why wouldn't you?) you'll also want a helmet and a nut key.
 andrewmc 17 May 2016
In reply to ChrisH89:

I would probably put Singing Rock gear above BD at the moment for safety (at least avoiding recalls)... :P
 nutme 17 May 2016
In reply to Wingnut:

You need nut key only if you go trad. Not needed for sport and in alpine / winter you can use axe to get gear out.
 keepguessing 22 May 2016
In reply to andrewmcleod:

I have had a mate who bought a singing rock harness looked like utter shite.
warren1989 31 May 2016
In reply to soloing 9a with out you looking:

ok thanks
 wbo 31 May 2016
In reply to warren1989:
But the one I got for one of my kids is great. And I don't particularly rate my momentum ( heavy, bulky, uncomfortable so stopped using it). So go down the shops and have a look for yourself.
 Offwidth 31 May 2016
In reply to warren1989:

Please try on gear first... especialliy climbing shoes which need to be snug but comfortable enough to wear for hours so they wont wreck your feet.
 springfall2008 31 May 2016
In reply to warren1989:

This set at go-outdoors is a good starting point too:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/climb-x-pilot-harness-set-p194186

I don't like the belay device that much, but that's down to personal preference. The harness is pretty decent actually and you get a free chalk bag.

Like others said, go and try them on....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...