homemade ice axe griprests

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 joe.wahab 12 May 2016
What do people reckon to using epoxy putty to sculpt your own griprests a la this video: youtube.com/watch?v=WQzq8VytOmU&
The chap who has done it has also posted some of his thoughts in the video description which might be worth a read.

I have some HB Hurricanes I've been thinking of doing this with. Been doing some tooling recently on a wall near a railway bridge, and feel it might help with that AND future steep ice.
 Alex Riley 12 May 2016
In reply to joe.wahab:

I used sugru to modify mine this winter. Thought it would be flimsy and fall off but it's lasted well so far.
OP joe.wahab 12 May 2016
In reply to Alex Riley:

Just had a look at the Sugru website, that stuff looks great! I'll look into that.
 timjones 12 May 2016
In reply to joe.wahab:

> What do people reckon to using epoxy putty to sculpt your own griprests a la this video: youtube.com/watch?v=WQzq8VytOmU&

> The chap who has done it has also posted some of his thoughts in the video description which might be worth a read.

> I have some HB Hurricanes I've been thinking of doing this with. Been doing some tooling recently on a wall near a railway bridge, and feel it might help with that AND future steep ice.

I drilled and carved a set out of HDPE. I felt that it was likely to be stronger than putty of any sort. They worked fine.
 DaveHK 12 May 2016
In reply to Alex Riley:
I modified mine with Sugru to reduce the volume a little round the bottom where your pinkie sits. I put some zip ties round first with the head uppermost to give it something to grip on. I didn't have much hope for it but it's lasted 2 seasons with no sign of coming off. Amazing stuff.

Edit -just looked at the video and I doubt you could make a whole grip out of Sugru.
Post edited at 21:37
 afshapes 13 May 2016
In reply to joe.wahab:

I modified my bd rages using epoxy resin....worked a treat. You do need a "key" or something for it to sit on though. The rages had a little bit of metal at the base of the axe that seemed to work. I used them for two seasons and I had no problem s
 afshapes 13 May 2016
In reply to joe.wahab:

Having now bought apexes , the epoxy felt hard on your hands when hanging off them. ...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...